What's a good but inexpensive surge protector?

Adequate protection requires that all sources of surges into a building be controlled: power, phone, cable TV, etc. That said, as far as plug-in surge protectors go, I think the TrippLite Isobar Ultra is pretty good. They are used by a lot of big companies to give some protection to desktop systems. I have two in my A/V cabinet. I also have a whole house surge protector at the service entrance. Phone and internet is FTTH (fibre to the home) so surges from external sources are not a problem. Downside is that they are not exactly cheap unless you can find them used on eBay or elsewhere. A lot of them were surplused as companies downsized recently or sold at bankruptcy auctions.

FWIW a sizzling sound means you have a problem in the high voltage circuitry of your monitor. Usually means either the flyback transformer or the high voltage driver board on the end of the CRT neck is about to die. Either can be replaced. The problem is finding replacements and cost. Usually better to dump the old monitor and buy a new one. My HP computer monitor developed similar symptoms. Wound up buying a refurbished dell monitor for $119.

a good and much cheaper way could be for you to install gfci circuit breakers, for 30-40 apice it would protect everything down stream, it is an osha standard on construction sites, and it really does not take much to set 1 of these off, but than everything is protected, equipment and people12.gif

"a good and much cheaper way could be for you to install gfci circuit breakers, for 30-40 apice it would protect everything down stream, it is an osha standard on construction sites, and it really does not take much to set 1 of these off, but than everything is protected, equipment and people"

actually, gfci circuit breakers will do nothing to stop a surge....they will only trip if there is a fault in your "ground circuit"....an external surge will go right through them to your equipment....

a good inexpensive surge protector is the tripp lite isobar series.... they start about $40 and go up from there...

www.tripplite.com

for the best protection available get a series mode protector.... these are made by surge-x, brickwall, and zerosurge.... all the units from these companies provide unlimited joule ratings!!!!...protection up to 3000 amps at 6000 volts...

www.surgex.com

www.brickwall.com

www.zerosurge.com

do a search on the forum for surge protectors and power conditioners and you will find a great deal of information...

good luck...

Hello:

To add I had an elctrician make a double gang box with four (4) switched outlets.

I can power up one at a time and not worry about on off switch.

I plug that into an Isobar then I have a singular surge protector with emi/rfi filtering from Radio Shack at the outlet. So I double up a bit and switch the equipment.

Win dodger