Preamp: Eastern Electric MiniMax - I got a good feeling

I almost just succumbed to the upgrade/change fever but resisted even though I got a pretty impressive offer on my Moondogs. I still might sell some stuff to branch off and do the two step sideways for a different take on the matter. I just get much more attached to gear and find it hard to sell things that I really like. This is problematic when you have two Italian cars rusting away to nothing. I cant imagine ever selling the Linn LP-12, Moondogs, Cary SLP-70, or my first EICO. OF those, I KNOW I will NEVER sell my first EICO (that is one of the most magical amplifiers I have ever owned; it still surprises me sometimes and is the essence of soul and goodness, reminding me of the Cornwalls but perhaps even more special to me). The other stuff would be hard but doable although I have been around that Linn LP-12 for almost 23 years. I still prefer it to the ultra modern Progressive-Engineering table in many ways as they remind me of the relative emotional differences between tube and solid state respectively (the later turntables are much closer to a digital/SS perspective especially the models with acrylic platters, clamps, and no suspension).

We'll see what happens in the coming months. I might be in for some wholesale gear changes on the horizon.

kh

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...the later turntables are much closer to a digital/SS perspective especially the models with acrylic platters, clamps, and no suspension."

This is a simply remarkable statement. How can this be? Are you running the same cartridge on both tables?

Not that you would be inclined to take advice from the resident loon, but I finally came to the conclusion that lateral upgrades left me wanting. A lateral would give a nice shift in signature, and would fill a gap or two in comparison to what I had been running -- but it also made me very aware of what I had given up and left behind. It's quite a sucky feeling.

The goal should be to get to the next level. The next level is where gaps should be filled without having to resort to putting up with newly created ones. The parts should be better, and additional "issues" addressed. I think this necessarily involves more complexity, and a higher degree of sophistication in the design. I will just never be convinced that less parts, and extreme simplicity equates to ultimate purity.

Unlike some of us here, you settled into your cushy spot some time ago. You love those Doggies, and everyone that owns them loves them. It's just my opinion, but you might consider selling off the Progressive to finance upgrading them. I don't think you should sell the Cary.

Not so remarkable really at all if you give them a listen. I should have worded it slightly different. I think the modern hi-end, acrylic platter, record clamp, no mat tables with NO suspension sound much more sterile in the absolute sense compared to the suspension tables with felt mat, sans record clamp. I am not the biggest proponent of acrylic platters without a mat and with a clamp. I have a top notch table that I have been listening and comparing with the classic Linn LP-12 Valhalla. After doing hours and hours of listening, I came to the decision that the table sounded better with the Linn felt mat and WITHOUT the clamp. With the record directly on the platter with the clamp, the table was missing a bit of the quality I loved about analog, especially compared to the tweaked Linn (and the clamp removed AIR and imparted a slight glaze to the sound). Then again, the Linn can be a bear to get right. I like BOTH tables and end up listening to the PE table more lately. On the other hand, I think the Linn has more soul and a certain magic the PE tables lacks. In a strange way, it's like the difference between tube rectification and Solid state rectification with a touch of the same parallels.

kh

"The parts should be better, and additional "issues" addressed. I think this necessarily involves more complexity, and a higher degree of sophistication in the design. I will just never be convinced that less parts, and extreme simplicity equates to ultimate purity.

Well, there are others that feel this way and lately, you have been siding with this view. I DO think that great sound can be achieved with complex designs. I juts think a GREAT simple design is ultimately better than a great complex one. Looking at that Mark quote regarding the final less is less (and I remember when he said it), a perfect example would be the passive preamp. I think a passive preamp has some amazing transparency and at times can be the ticket to pure sound. On the other hand, I dont think it provides the best sound per say, at least not the most musical. On the other hand, I have liked circuits that go about their solution with the LESS IS MORE approach. It sounds more pure to me, more immediate, more see-thru, less THERE, and in the way. At its best, it is the closest to a living, breathing person. Of course, you end up lacking some needed power sometimes, especially through normal speakers, where it almost becomes a moot point.

Frankly, you just are after more power and the less is more approach sometimes doesnt get you there. On the other hand, the sound from the less is more amplifier is more pure most of the time; it just may not satisfy as many parameters. I have not really been a big fan of the complex PP amps, even those of high regard. Then again, I have not been a fan of amps with the KT-88 or 6550 either. I have tended to never like amps with tubes run in parallel either, although I know you dont agree. This is just over the years of listening to examples. I always feel I am moving backwards when I listen with the ole audiophile goggles combined with the "it's got to be musical" sensors. Then again, I can find myself enjoying music out of many an amp if letting go. PP EL-34/6550/KT-88/etc amps just have not floated my boat per say in a long time. Indeed, I find myself liking the little vintage EL-84 amps better for different reasons.

To be honest, I couldnt listen to anything like Mudvayne via SET and horns either. Actually, I dont think I would like Mudvayne (if I liked them at all) via horns period. I just tend to like rock of that vayne through direct radiator, soft dome tweeter of high quality (this if at all - I like heavy stuff and even more esoteric indie noise, but that stuff sounds like aggression with no brain). Ironically enough, I think you would like my setup and the compromises more than I could deal with your setup. This is juts what I have found in the past with gear of that nature.

btw, one example of a rather complex amp is the Tenor Audio stuff. I still reserve judgement on it but Jeff likes touting the beasts. They strangely wouldnt work when up there last...heh.

kh

Yep. Matched pairs going online for sale, my NYC friend. I might save a few for myself but the rest are funding parts for a custom 2A3 PP and a custom MQ SET tweaked to the gills. At least, this is a loose plan. I have already matched six pairs at NEW and will print out specs and get boxes, make a slick site, and post those beasts on AudiogoN or ye ole ebay. Hopefully, the ducats will bring some interesting parts culled from all the right places.

kh

Did you see that tube post, Craig? That was a find from some divine source! Praise to thee Conn organ!

I dont need more watts as much as I want to have a full triode tube push pull amp and another SET amp with no holds barred. I will probably stop there for awhile with the top notch SET, top notch triode (triode tube and not just triode wired) 2A3 push pull, and the EICO. ALL those watts added together wouldnt get you to 30w! The 2A3 PP comes in under the EICO at about 10w....but there is something different about those triode tubes. Still, I wouldnt sell my original EICO for anything (the second one is going for sale probably).

I actually have a bunch of gear I can sell but just need to actually go into motion.

kh

ps- As for the 2A3 PP schematic, I dont know yet...always talking...if it's not one thing, it's another.

----------------

On 8/28/2003 3:03:56 PM tbabb wrote:

Kelly,

I'm really missing my old Eico. How about selling me your original HF-81? Since yours is in primo shape I'll offer you $850 for it. Let me know.

-tb

----------------

Talk about tongue-in-cheek!

Kelly, congrats on snagging those tubes. I don't want to know what you paid for them ... probably $1 a piece because you felt bad about stealing them.

Looking at Tony's 2A3PP, the number of transformers and chokes in there looked like it kept Mike LeFevre busy for a week. Hope the profit margin on the sale of your newly acquired tubes is wonderful!

As a matter of fact, I have been looking up the test procedure settings for your tubes here since the tester has been out all day. PErhaps you can ask the original seller if you still keep in touch (I have the ole top hat testing wire from Jeff). BTW, you dont want to know how much I bought those tubes and that amp for. HEh... And who said I bought it? Try GARBAGE! As in , the Salvation Army throw away pile! I brought some old shirts and sweaters to ease my conscience.

On another note, I wouldnt sell my original EICO for $850, tongue in cheek or not. Hard to believe but true.

kh

----------------

On 8/28/2003 3:54:07 PM mobile homeless wrote:

As a matter of fact, I have been looking up the test procedure settings for your tubes here since the tester has been out all day. PErhaps you can ask the original seller if you still keep in touch (I have the ole top hat testing wire from Jeff). BTW, you dont want to know how much I bought those tubes and that amp for. HEh... And who said I bought it? Try GARBAGE! As in , the Salvation Army throw away pile! I brought some old shirts and sweaters to ease my conscience.

On another note, I wouldnt sell my original EICO for $850, tongue in cheek or not. Hard to believe but true.

kh

----------------

Kelly, I contacted the seller last year but I don't have his email address. I'll double-check but I think I lost it when my computer crashed. DO what you can with the cathode hat :)

Garbage? Whoa ... Dividing by zero makes computing the profit margin impossible, so I guess that's a good deal :)

$850 for the Eico ... I know what you mean. That's the way I feel now without mine. It's just money, and now there's an empty hole in my heart.

Mistake.

I sure dont think anyone in here uses a top annode connection like the TT-22, but I'll post it in here anyway. These are some mint condition, rare TT-22 tubes that Chris bought tested as new (5 total). We both wanted to test them again to make sure; that being said, they have not even been used from this side. Boxes and tubes in perfect condition. English valves to the bone and worth a pretty penny See Tube World's prices. The TT22 is in the KT88 family and is like the TT21 but uses a 12.6v filament. These tubes reportedly offer SUPERIOR SONICS to the KT-88 Genalex! To give you an idea, they are aroud $325 a pair with low hours. The top cap anode connector gives better isolation between anode and grid according to Brandon. These beasts will go on AudiogoN or somewhere soon.

tt22_ad.jpg

ps- Can this thread change course any more frequently?