4 cornwalls (two channel system)

aforst

Aforst,

That is the way I stack my four CWs. Tweets & Mids need to be on same axis IMO. I think that the bottom would sound better with the ports on the floor.

I have considered building a "double CW bass bin" with the horns on axis and on top.

Anyway, four CWs stacked are a real "boot in the chest" as you know by now. In your face & Explosive!!

Congrats and welcome to Phi Slamma Jamma.

Terry

----------------

On 9/1/2003 10:38:52 AM bkrop wrote:

Heh, "towers of power" or" Wall of sound"?
1.gif
----------------

PWK spoke of the "curtain of sound" with a 3 channel system. Two Khorns / One CW center.

Four CWs? ......Well,.... WALL!!!....No tower sound. Remove all breakable objects from room....

Terry

----------------

On 9/2/2003 12:22:48 AM aforst wrote:

Terry, Ports on the floor? Do you mean without the risers?
----------------

Well that too. But mostly that the CW on top has the ports in the air. Only one set of ports are coupled to the floor. That is the reason that I wonder what a double bass bin would be like. Both ports on the floor, tweets and mids stacked and in line. In other words, 2 CWs in one (wide) box.

Regards,

Terry

Nice "Wall of Sound" indeed! Used to own the AMC CVT1030s preamp (with JAN Philips tubes)...sounded great, but I had issues with the ganged volume/balance control and overall shoddy build quality (my AMC CD8b is perfect though). Bet you like the lil' ASLs...is 10 watts each enough for your Cornwalls? I'm afraid they'd peeter out for me due to the near-live levels I like to play my favorite pipe organ music!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 9/22/2003 10:16:45 PM aforst wrote:

Have you had problems with your amc cd player?

Andy

----------------

No, not yet...knock on wood. The AMC originally belonged to my brother, but when he bought the latest Pioneer SACD/DVD-A/DVD/CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 player for his HT, he didn't need it anymore. So he gave it to me, and I sold my ol' Carver 1-bit player.

He told me that when he inserted a CD into the tray and closed it, the player didn't recognize any CD in the tray, reading "No Disc" on the display. He'd open the tray, and then close it again, and the TOC would display as it should, and then play normally. That only happened twice while he had it (over a year), and I've never experienced any problems with it yet.

Is your model the player with the vacuum tube output? How does it sound to you?

I have ued solid state gear in the past. NAD pre and with a NAD 2200 amp. Also I have used various yamaha gear. A friend let me borrow a pair of asl waves. I thought over all they sounded better than the NAD 2200. I do miss the midbass and bass punch of that amp. Shocked that a 100 dollar tube amp sounded better to my ear than SS gear. I decided to continue with tube gear. On a budget I bought the AMC CD player with tube output (sounds good when working). Next I found an AMC preamp with tubes. This piece also sounds good. Overall to me the tubes with high efficiency speakers is the ticket. ( I would really like to venture into set 2a3 or 300b etc.) The velodyne sees to uses in my HT room with quintets (Talk about a mismatch) and as added punch in the music room. I listen to mostly guitar driven rock such as Tom Petty, Dire Straits, Clapton Dave Alvin and punk music Social Distortion Rammones etc. The velodyne adds extra punch.