Low volume problem with old Klipsch speakers

steveo

I have a problem with my 10 year old stereo (Klipsch 5. speakers, Sony STR-D311 Receiver). At low volumes (especially when listening to audio from my DVD player), the speakers cut out and/or have some distortion. At first I thought it was the speaker cable (monster cable), but I found jiggling the wire did not always solve the problem. Then I found that turning the volume up and down quickly seemed to do the trick, but sometimes I need to keep the volume up to keep it working.

So, now I'm not sure if its a speaker, cable or possibly a receiver problem.

Any suggestions, short of buying new?

Thanks!

----------------

On 9/1/2003 4:43:24 PM steveo wrote:

I have a problem with my 10 year old stereo (Klipsch 5. speakers, Sony STR-D311 Receiver). At low volumes (especially when listening to audio from my DVD player), the speakers cut out and/or have some distortion. At first I thought it was the speaker cable (monster cable), but I found jiggling the wire did not always solve the problem. Then I found that turning the volume up and down quickly seemed to do the trick, but sometimes I need to keep the volume up to keep it working.

So, now I'm not sure if its a speaker, cable or possibly a receiver problem.

Any suggestions, short of buying new?

Thanks!

----------------

If giggling the wire did help at least once, start there. You need to start eliminating possible sources of the problem. I'd start with the wire, then cables, etc. Of course make sure all your connections are good.

Welcome to the forum.

garymd is correct !!

If wiggling the wires between the and the amp and the speakers brought things back to normal even for a moment then the problem is with the connection between the amp and the speakers.

Retighten all connections to the speaker wires at the amp and at the speakers.

If the problem persists but wiggling the wires still temporarily results in a return to normal then there is likely an intermittent connection at the output terminals of the amp or at the input terminals of one of the speakers - My bet would be on a problem at the amp side of the chain.

Actually that is a common problem for older gear and it is most likely associated with the relays in the speaker switching circuit. They become dirty and oxidized over time and need to be cleaned out. It is not the speakers that are cutting out, it is the receiver itself. To prove this, try connecting the speakers to an alternate source and they should operate properly. While cleaning the volume control potentiometer is a good thing I do not think it is the source of your problem. Cleaning the speaker relays is not an easy thing sometimes PCB's need to be removed in order to access them.

I would not overlook the potential for the 10-year old wire (or the 6" on each end) to be at fault. I'd also check the interconnects, as they could have been inadvertently jiggled with the speaker wire.

fini

My bet is dirty volume control or other control in the signal path. Balance, Tape Monitor, Bass, Treble; any of these or similar switches can cause exactly the problem described. Wiggling the wire sometimes works because it is actually wiggling the whole receiver and causing the dirty switch to make intermittant contact. Here is a very odd sounding fix. Pick the receiver up about 3 - 4" off the shelf, one side at a time and DROP it! Yep I said drop it three or four inches. This will usually correct the problem at least temporarily and confirm it is dirty contacts. Tuner cleaner is the key but I recently had a friend swear that using WD-40 is even better. I know this sounds crazy and I cannot vouch for the efficacy. He says WD-40 is actually kerosene in a spray can and is more a solvent than a lubricant. Swears it works better than tuner cleaner. Any of you able to confirm?

BobG, I have not personally used WD-40, but about three years ago I had a very established (40 plus years in business)audio retailer/repair outlet do a cleaning job on an old pre-amp. While speaking to the tech, I asked what grade of contact cleaner they used. His reply was "We use WD-40". 6.gif I was floored!

However, this must work pretty good, because my pre-amp had no more hiss/pop/ect! 1.gif

BTW, that retailer was Hillcrest HiFi, here in Dallas.

Back in the seventies and eighties they stocked the entire heritage line. I'll never forget hearing the mighty Khorns there for the first time the summer of 1980. They made a believer out me.

• 3 weeks later...

that WD40 trick kinda surpises me too..actually, it stands for Water Displacement, and it was the 40th formula tried. Hence the name.Works great as a rust inhibitor. And attracts fish when sprayed on a lure. Etc..

I knew this one clown who said that starter fluid cleaned contacts. Well, one of the guys who heard this thought it was a good idea..and sprayed it on his amplifier contacts. The overspray melted the circuit boards.

So..don't try everything you hear..watch someone else do it first..ha ha.

Steve