Update on 12yr. old Girl and RIAA

justin_tx_16

----------------

On 9/12/2003 10:45:56 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

SKONOPA......Well written.

----------------

Thanks, Maron!

I also want to add...

I saw an argument made that the buying and selling of CDs on the used market ought to be illegal and that is also somehow robbing the artists of a potential payment. I vehemently disagree! Carmudgeon has already replied to this with a very nice posting and I agree with him. In fact, the RIAA and a few artist did attempt to shutdown the whole second-hand CD market (or at the very least, demanded a percentage of the money in any sales made) - needless to say, that did not happen and thankfully so. The artists/labels already got thier payment for that copy and to think that they should keep getting payments everytime a CD changed hands is completely ridiculous in my opinion. Once the initial sale is made, they got there payment. If the CD changed hands several times afterwards - oh well! That is not thier concern, as long as that is still the same copy, in that additional copies have not been made/retained.

The same applies to movies (DVDs, VHS, etc) as well as with software - I have sold and bought games on the used market several times. Unfortunatly, withh alot of this DRM and product activation crap that is cropping up in software, this may be a concern, since transfering licenses may be difficult. For example, supposed that I decided to put Linux on my machine and wanted to sell off my copy of Windows XP. Is Microsoft going to make a big stink about it, or will they let the new owner "re-activate" that copy for his machine? Just for S&G's, I ought to call up Microsoft and ask them and see what they say. But I digress....

Just a couple weeks ago, I got a copy of Queen's "A Night at the Opera" and Rush's "Power Windows" at a local record store that sells used CD's. I paid only $15 for the both of them - less than the price of most brand-new titles. Yet just this past weekend, I ordered three Fates Warning CD's off of Amazon - brand-new copies - I paid about $35 for the three of them, which is not to bad. Do I feel that Queen and Rush should get paid for that copy I just bought? No, because they already got paid, yet I do feel that Fates Warning should get paid for the brand-new copies of thier CD's that I bought, since I am the first-time owner of those particular CD's Now, if I decide to sell them off in the future, than I don't feel an obligation to pay Fates Warning again from the money I get in the sale, provided I do not retain any copies of the music from those CD's, whether it be cassette, CD-R, MP3 files, or some other format.

To carry this farther, if the selling and buying of used CD's was made illegal, I suppose the selling and buying of used cars will be next. God forbid that I deny Saturn the potential sale of a new vehicle if I sold mine off on the used market! Same with the house - cannot deny the builders the job oppurtunity of building a new house if I sold my house as "used".

To be honost, if it was entirely up the RIAA and ilk - they would demand payment if we went and hummed or whistled a tune in public! I honostly believe that thier ultimate goal is to make everything "pay-per-play" in that we would have to pay them everytime we wanted to play something.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honost, if it was entirely up the RIAA and ilk - they would demand payment if we went and hummed or whistled a tune in public! I honostly believe that thier ultimate goal is to make everything "pay-per-play" in that we would have to pay them everytime we wanted to play something.

----------------

Well said,

If you sang that song, would the RIAA want you to pay for the whole CD that song is on, or just the price of the CD single?

11.gif

Since this all started i have decided and im sure many others have to....not to buy any new CDs...if the record companies want to pay singers millions and try to make us foot the bill for thier poor judgment good luck.....I go to wal-mart and see CDs for 12.00 and then see DVDs for 5.00 and in a bigger box and a video on the movie...even a 7 year old will say.. whats up...plus the record companies saw this comming for years and just looked the other way and raised CD prices and now they cry cause they lost out on some sales...well i think this action is going to come back and bite them where it hurts...rick

Movies get most people twice, one at the Theater and again when it hits the shelf.

If I paid to see the movie $7.00 and bought the DVD when it first came out $15 the suck $22 out of my pocket.

CD they suck the money out of my pocket in one blow.

I agree with you about the RIAA seeing this coming. The biggest problem is the RIAA executives are older, less technologically educate, and eat too many lunches.

I know when I am riding my bike, rollerblading, or working in the yard the quantity of songs that I enjoy and number that I can fit into my mp3 player is far more important than the quality of the music.

When listening on the system quality is more important than is the quantity.

Legal or not sueing a 10 year old for downloading a Britney Spears MP3 is a little sick. After all the RIAA is throwing these teen idols in the kids faces 24x7, on tv commercials, huge posters at the retail outlets, MTV, Nick, VH1, E, Network interviews, magazines and so on.

Well maybe its the parents fault for not getting their kids everything the RIAA tells the kids to asks for

----------------

On 9/13/2003 10:28:44 AM sj993 wrote:

You would think the logical thing to do would be to go after the companies who provide the services.

----------------

As has been previously mentioned, they have indeed tried! However, A judged ruled file-swapping tools legal!. The judge basically said they are not much different than VCRs or Copiers. Therefore, for all those that continue to screem "Why don't they go after the networks themselves?", well, they tried and failed.

----------------

On 9/13/2003 6:41:23 AM bruinsrme wrote:

Movies get most people twice, one at the Theater and again when it hits the shelf.

----------------

Uhhhh, lets be real about this. You stand to be corrected here.

They get you more like 3 or 4 times.

Once when it hits the theaters

Once when it originally comes out on DVD

Once when it comes out on some extended DVD

Once when it comes out on some Extended Extended Mulit Set DVD pack

9.gif

As far as the price of CDs. I really don't think the price is too expensive IF there are more than 2 good songs on a CD. Long are the days for me where I felt confident that when I opened up that CD, and started playing it that I would like at least 75% of the songs.

Here are the days where I buy maybe 3 CDs a year and only about 1/4 of the songs I like, if that.

I can think of really only 3 bands where i have liked at least 1/2 of the songs on a CD

* POD

* David Arkenstone

Most everything else, I just don't like... Gawd I miss the days when I could go get the brand new Van Halen CD and know that I was going to like EVERY song...

Well now, Let look at this from another perspecitve.

There are a vast number of companies that profit off of CD copying or various sort. Sony being one of them. Sony has the tools to encrypt the music. Uhmm Sony must therefor have the tools to decrypt. If people can not copy cds/dvds their sales of faster more reliable burners will fall. This will affect their PC and laptop markets, MP3 markets and sony walkman markets.

What to do. One one campus you have the encrypters and across the way you have the crackers. Now the crackers will lag somewhat being the encrypters but this makes sony look like they are playing nicely with the fat tubs in California. Now the crackrs break the code and uhmmmmm it ends up over the net, cd burning companies, software companies and bios of new burners.

End result.

CDs and DVD are rippable, sony and others make billions on burning and ripping software/hardware and the RIAA goes after the real criminals you and me.

Do you think apple will want to give up their huge market share and profits being generated off the ipod. Sure just as quick as these fat slobs of the RIAA will send you a free replacement disk if your disk is damaged.

What man can do, it can undo.