New Cornwall 11 owner

brnt99

----------------

On 9/18/2003 7:59:12 PM joshnich wrote:

My cornwalls are in the same room with my 7 foot Schimmel and my 69 D28 and I can tell you its hard to tell the record form those fine acoustic instruments.

Josh

----------------

OMG, now those are real TOYS! I'm so jealous. My major in college was piano yet I've not had an acoustic instrument to play in nearly 10 years. .. I'm so envious.

Forrest

very loaded terms..... "colored"...."pure and clean"....

not really describing music though..... music IS colored..... i'm not exactly sure what you are describing when you say "pure and clean".....

all amplifiers affect the sound.... solid state as well as tubes.... i really don't care what kind of amp that i use as long as it produces music.... and my current tube amp produces much more "music" than any ss amp that i have heard....

i base my observation from being a semi-professional musician for about 25 years as well as a former music educator.... my own personal recordings of the brass quintet that i perform with sound more like the live performance with my little old dynaco tube amp than any of ss amps that i have ever tried.....

if you like a "pure and clean" sound.....ok..... but for me that type of sound is very unmusical

Dammit, all this talk of tube amps, and now my kid brother buying a JoLida for his system (I think his AR towers suck, even through tubes; if he was smart he'd buy Klipsch)...I'm almost tempted to take my savings for this year's property taxes and buy myself a tube amp instead!

Oh well, I can still dream...5.gif

Maybe on one of my days off while my bro is at work, I'll sneak into his room and quietly "borrow" his JoLida and hook it up to my Cornwalls...I wanna hear this so-called tube warmth through my Cornwalls in the worse way!11.gif

jt I think you're going to be dissapointed and end up asking yourself what all the fuss was about? It's very anti-climactic.

That's what I did. Time after time.

Fuzzy and warm? Ummm ...yeah, that's just another way of saying colored and lacking punch.

minn-male42 so because you're a music teacher, a semi professional musician, and have your won personal recordings of yourself I'm supposed to take your word that tubes are better than SS?

PS I didn't say "pure and clean" the very thorough cornwall test did. 2.gif

i'm saying tubes are better for me.....

and i think the reason most of us listen to our systems is because of the music....

and aren't all of us trying to get our systems to sound like the "live performance"?

i have heard all of your type of comments before.... alot about the specs....alot of talk about how bad tubes color the sound... yet very little comments about the music....

I have tried my Cornwalls with a Pilot 240 integrated amp. While the mids and highs were very sweet(as in great) the lows were very unfocused. I like the focused punch I get on the lows with my ss amp.I tried my Cornwalls with a pair of ASL Wave 8 monoblocks and an old Nikko SS preamp.This combination was good but my Marantz edged them out on an a/b test. I would like to try the Wave 8's with a good tube preamp but I dont have one right now.There are so many options for preamps at differant price points I am confused and dazed.(and i dont have a little nest egg yet?

----------------

On 9/18/2003 9:48:51 PM BigBusa wrote:

another vote for "nice and sweet" I see! ----------------

BigBusa,

If "nice and sweet" sounds closer to live music, count me in. My wife (or "Supreme Commander" as she's known around the house) and I try to get out and hear live music at least once or twice a month. Not to mention her hearing is much more discerning than is mine. She could give a rip if I use tubes, solid state or a monkey playing bongos (apologies to AS). If the music sounds good she'll listen. If not, it's likely to be "Let's go to the mall" or "Did you fix that ____ yet?". So, as you can see, my son and I depend on tubes for our very survival.

Chris

PS Exactly what is a "Busa"? And, just how big is yours? Lastly, please get off Kelly's back. He may be a pompous pain in the arse, but he's OUR pain in the arse.

PPS Kelly, I realize I'll be giving up something by getting away from 300B's. I just want to try something that has a little more steam. However, I'm guessing you're right and I'll be back soon. Also and most importantly, glad to hear you're safe and dry... you MORON! 9.gif

BigBusa, I dont care if Mike Stehr is living in a "mobile home" or not. If he were to make a comment on a piece of gear after hearing it somewhere, either in home or not, I would still trust his ears and opinion on the matter over yours, this just based on the choices, comments, and observations you have made over the years in the various forums.

You posting those pics with comments about Mike was overboard in my opinion, especially given the minor comment from his way. As for the use of the El Camino gone bad with the load of vintage offerings in various state of repair, I think the vision takes care of itself. I have never seen someone argue the opposing side of the equation so effectively, this without nary a word.

When it comes down to it, your gear decisions have been ample evidence that you lack even the most rudimentary knowledge of the subject at hand. Your equipment matching skill can be likened to an earless Gibbon with blindfold, randomly picking in a warehouse loaded with slack jawed ebay bargains, topped off with corner storage from PawnUSA. You sell what you should keep and keep what you should sell, and of the remnants, manage to set it up with no awareness of how the gear will interact with room, each other, or your ear/brain equation.

Although I wish you good luck in your seemingly endless quest down ye olde personal sonic wormhole, I grow weary of your poor marketing skills and questionable posts, paraded forth here with dollar signs in eyes, unaware of the dripping irony in either picture or print.

kh

ps-Ahhhh, that felt good. Nothing like reliving the good ole forum days! heh... Yeah, it was a bit over the top, but those pics got under my skin. Besides, I like ole Stehr's take on things. Chris, I am not married to the 300B either, but do think the 300se Monoblocks were better than the 805 at doing what SET does best. Push Pull has its strengths too. You might love a PP 2A3 with good iron.

----------------

On 9/19/2003 8:55:04 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

----------------

On 9/19/2003 8:26:51 AM mobile homeless wrote:

You posting those pics with comments about Mike was overboard in my opinion

----------------

Totally agree.

The strength and content of one's character has little to do with one's place of residence.

----------------

Right you are, Chris. I've seen shots of your dump...

JOKING HERE!!

fini

"You posting those pics with comments about Mike was overboard in my opinion, especially given the minor comment from his way.

The guy took a personal pot shot at me because of my sexual orientation ...which I revealed because I thought you'd all be mature enough to handle. I guess I was wrong.

That's a minor comment?

Evidently, you haven't lived with people doing this to you.

I posted a picture of his nasty trailer. I didn't slam him as a person. I think he needs to be concerned with the qaulity of his living quarters before he thinks about a stereo system.

His comment was a LOW personal blow ...mine was a weak swat about his trailer paneling. There's a big difference.

----------------

On 9/19/2003 8:26:51 AM mobile homeless wrote:

...Chris, I am not married to the 300B either, but do think the 300se Monoblocks were better than the 805 at doing what SET does best. Push Pull has its strengths too. You might love a PP 2A3 with good iron.
----------------

Kelly,

Talk to me about PP 2A3 with good iron. Will it have more steam than my 300B? What constitutes good iron and what manufacturers would you suggest?

Chris

----------------

On 9/19/2003 9:59:00 AM ChrisK wrote:

Talk to me about PP 2A3 with good iron. Will it have more steam than my 300B? What constitutes good iron and what manufacturers would you suggest?

Chris

----------------

PP 2A3 (or a PP300B) can be the ticket to have most of what a 2A3 SET can offer while allowing you more headroom. I think that IT phase splitting help to retain most of the SET flavor.

There are not to many PP 2A3 or 300B commercially available right at the start, even less with IT phase splitting. But lucky you, Sun Audio are making these for a reasonable amount of money. They use Tamura OPT which are really good ones.

As for what constitute a good iron, this question is quite hard to answer. There is no easy rules of thumbs like "if it's big it's good"... It's much easier to recommend some good irons. The top of my list would be the MagneQuest SA-240-A with permalloy laminations. This OPT is a reissue of a classic design by Peerless. UTC LS-55 would probably float my boat too but they are getting hard to find. Plitron did put out an OPT designed for PP300B that must be quite outstanding if I can judge by the SERIOUS quality of some of their other products.