High-End Stores in St Louis...

drewzter

moving the family to st louis in 2 weeks and am wondering if any of you all know of some good stores I can check out for the high end stuff... i've seen all the big name stores that carry the cheaper stuff, but i'm wanting to find some smaller, more selective ones... and maybe there's a big chain high-end store there that i've not seen.

anyone familiar with st louie?

I have been here about 24 years - almost a native. However, the first question folks ask you here is what high school you went to. This establishes whether or not you are an 'alien'.

As to high end stores - PM me (send Email) to get my personal opinions of your options. There is not a great variance when looking audiophile in St. Louis. The best options are:

Flips - Chesterfield area. Flips will carry the more personal choices like magnepan and Klipsch heritage speakers. They will give you some of the more robust electronics, but as you may expect, the choices will be limited.

Sound Room - several locations. The choices are greater and includes video. The really high end stuff gets limited.

You will find bunches of Ultimate Electronics which may have what you want. Just expect the sales force to be very young. I would go in with a preference.

In the surrounding area - I have heard (and only heard - no personal experience) that Reliable Stereo Center in Alton, Ill is OK. Not per say real high end but a reasonable place all the same. Also, the ride to Alton and up the river road next to the Mississippi River to Pere Marquette Park can be gorgeous in the fall. Go on Friday or Sunday and stop at the lodge for their famous Fried Chicken and you will be pleased you took my advice. If that isn't your thing, while in Alton you can go to Fast Eddies for the best bar food and cheapest beer in a very unique atmosphere. I can't describe this in any way that does it justice...

Good luck and welcome to the Mid section..

One more store to add to the list. You might also want to try Quality, Sight & Sound, off of Telegraph in South County. They do not carry Klipsch, but they offer a number of other premium items, including high-end video. Welcome to the South County/Jefferson County area(depending on where you are going to be in relation to 141). Glad to have you here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

H/K AVR 525, RF3II, RC35, RS35, KLF-C7, SVS 20-39PCi, HSU VTF-2

You also have Best Sound on Lindbergh in Creve Coeur, and Hi-Fi-Fo-Fum on Manchester and on Big Bend just north of Hgway 40, or farty as they tend to say in the Lou. Tell us what municipality you may be living in, and we can let you know whose system you might be hearing from a distance6.gif

I may be having a get together in early November, check it out in Two channel!

Hwatkins.. I have been here about 24 years - almost a native. However, the first question folks ask you here is what high school you went to. This establishes whether or not you are an 'alien'.

Man is this such a true statement about St Louis. It establishes social rank and income and everythng else in St Louis. It is such a strange but true thing too. Ask anyone from there, and they will laugh and agree too.

Yep - Still surprises me, such an interesting social thing.

Glad you revived this thread, I went to Music for Pleasure this past week and was very impressed with the folks there. While not a horn shop, there was some of the best electronics and speaker combinations in the St. Louis area. They focus the very high end on Krell and Dynaudio, but have a decent selection for the hobbiest - Linn, ML, Clayton Audio, Marantz, Primaire, etc. Besides, Dynaudio is my favorite cone speakers. Their love affair with the two way sound and the need for clean gigawatts keeps me with my prefered horn based systems - however, their newer three way sounded more right on to me and was less expensive.

Thanks to horonzak for turning me on to this shop. These seem to be some decent guys and I recommend them for the St. Louis area. Here is the website:

http://www.musicforpleasure.com/

The best I can tell Flip's is still the Horn shop for the area, as well as being owned by a tuber...

hi again guys...

I'll be living in Fenton for a while, until we save up enough to get a house of our own.

So, about the social status thing - do people there know where "Wake Forest University" is, or do they think it's up by Chicago (Lake Forest)?

I know for sure that they won't have any idea what I'm talking about when I tell them what high school I went to... so, yes, i'll be very much an alien from the get go 2.gif

Maron, and others

I am trying to schedule a get together for the first or second full weekend Saturday in November in St. Louis. As you are one of the people we definitely want to be able to attend, which date would be better for you, Nov. 8 or 15? We are planning on either jambalaya or SuperSmokers BBQ, and yes, we could get Ted Drewes3.gif and turn the event into a pigout.

I have Dean's old Quicksilver MC 60s, a Cary AES-3, and a cheapo CD player, along with the cornerhorns, Belles, La Scalas, and sundry Heresys. I don't know if I will have a 299c or LK-72 up, but ARF has a 299a NOS rebuild and is interested in exercising it if he can make it. What is your poison?

Welcome to St Louis Drewzter, I am sure you will like it here.I myself am about an hour drive from St Louis, but do go to the city every once in a while. I bought my klipschorns from Flips stereo back in 1984. They had a store across from crestwood plaza mall, I think it is gone now do to progress in that area or something of the sort. Flips years ago also had a store up on manchester road, I dont know if it is still there thow.

Sheltie Dave Sounds like you are planing a nice get togethere, music, beer and BBQ, Wow sounds like fun. I might be able to make it, but not sure I work a lot of weekends and shiftwork.Man I dont wont to miss this thow sounds like a great time.

Sheltie How many rooms does it take to fit all of those klipsch speakers of yours? Man you have a lot of great stuff, those quicksilvers of Deans have got to be great, would love to see and hear those.I have a couple of cd players I could bring, a 5 year old sony and a 18 year old classic shure ultra d6000 cd player.ALso a couple of turntables too.But heck with all the equipment you have you really should to be set to go. See you all later.

In Chicago they ask the high school question too. Maybe not so much any more or just because my social circles are getting pretty far in age from high school.

It probably establishes the neighboorhood and the perceived divergence of public versus parochial, etc.

Since I'm not originally from Chicago, I'm an alien anyway, from Long Island. An alien does get a little squint and people take a quarter step back.

Gil

Just to continue with the St. Louis social club --

Much like Chicago there is an aristocracy here. The town does have some age to it after all. The high school thing seems to be a little like stuff you see in Boston (which Parish?) and other older US cities. There is some sort of caste system that is virtually undecipherable from the outside. Even those that marry into it don't quite get the significance of the school attended. All I know is that after the conversation that identifies your high school I have heard some very snide (dare I say catty) comments about the other person's school. I shall remain above the fray (although I don't think I am offered the chance to enter the fray...Oh Well).

Now - Henry's short list of St. Louis must dos (sorry for repeats):

Cardinals baseball (vs. the Cubs if at all possible)

Blues Hockey

Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard

Broadway Oyster Bar

Fast Eddies in Alton, Ill

SuperSmokers BBQ (Lovely wife and I met there last night for Dinner)

Al's SteakHouse

Ride to the top of the Arch

Augusta Wineries (bad wine, pretty drive- topless if you can)

Saint louis University Soccer

Washington University women's basketball

Laurimer Park

Play golf in Forest Park

The Zoo

Cardinals baseball (yep - they really mean it here)

I still love the magic house in Kirkwood. It is best to take a kid so you won't stand out...

TTFN

Cardinals baseball (vs. the Cubs if at all possible)

Blues Hockey

Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard

Broadway Oyster Bar

Fast Eddies in Alton, Ill

SuperSmokers BBQ (Lovely wife and I met there last night for Dinner)

Al's SteakHouse

Ride to the top of the Arch

Augusta Wineries (bad wine, pretty drive- topless if you can)

Saint louis University Soccer

Washington University women's basketball

Laurimer Park

Play golf in Forest Park

The Zoo

Cardinals baseball (yep - they really mean it here)

I still love the magic house in Kirkwood. It is best to take a kid so you won't stand out...

TTFN

----------------

Have done Cards baseball -most definitely... was there for big mac's 54th during the magic season and have seen many other games; now i'll be able to go whenever i want (almost)

Saw the Blues play the Hurricanes here in Raleigh last year... my wife grew up a huge hockey fan and used to hang out where they practiced... Brind amor (sp?) was always her favorite player, she got to meet him...and now he's on the Hurricanes. kind of ironic

Will definitely check out those restaurants... have not had any of them, that I remember...

Did the arch - check

Wineries - sounds fun

no offense- but i can't stand watching soccer or women's basketball; i'll be making trips to missou - a far cry from ACC basketball that I've been around all my life, but it's the next best thing; also looking forward to watching the rising stars in the area high schools - which ones should I look out for most?

Laurimer Park and Forest Park - will definitely check them out

Have been to the zoo 2 or 3 times; love it; will do it more

I think my wife took my daughter to the Magic House when they were there by themselves a few months ago; they also did the Butterfly House...

thanks for the tips!

I'm serious about high school sports - let me know which ones to watch closely (football, basketball)

• 3 weeks later...