Belles or K-Horns?

PKuziel

I've been cruizing the internet as of late and stumbled upon Audioclassics.com and I noticed they have a good buy on a used pair of Klipsch Belles for 1440.00 each in oiled walnut. I had been saving for a new pair of K-Horns and wondered if maybe the Belles would be better due to the fact that I dont have good corners for the K-Horns and also the wife is a little disturbed by their size. I guess I will need a sub if I go for the Belles due to the fact that they don't go as low as the K-horns. What do you guys think?

If you do not have a room with corners for the Klipschorns do NOT buy them.

The Belles are a close second to k-horns in sound quality. While they do not go quite as low as the Klipschorns I would hold off on buying a subwoofer until you have auditioned them in your home and have decided that with your room, your music and your other components in the signal chain that you remain unsatified with the bass of the Belles.

Regards, tony

----------------

On 10/2/2003 9:49:21 AM PKuziel wrote:

I've been cruizing the internet as of late and stumbled upon Audioclassics.com and I noticed they have a good buy on a used pair of Klipsch Belles for 1440.00 each in oiled walnut.

----------------

$1,440 each, as in $2,880 a pair? You should be able to get a nice pair for about $1,500 a pair if you are patient.

Regards,

Greg

In actuality the Belle's take up more floor space than the Khorns, since the Khorns fit into corners they take up much less floor space. $1440 apiece for Belle's is real steep! There is a guy on this forum selling a pair for $1500 in Walnut Oil, I sold my gorgeous lacquered oak Belle's with cane grillwork for $1600. If I was going to shell out $2800 it would only be for Khorns, not Belle's. There is a difference in the low end between the Khorn and the Belle and it was immediately apparent to me when I got the Khorns in place and moved the Belle's, the high end is similar but I think you get better midrange projection with the larger K-400 horn. I purchased my Khorns knowing that I did not have two perfect corners to put them in, in fact my refridgerator serves as the opposing corner for one of them. I put thick tailboard seals on them and I get great response despite this fact. I don't know where you are located but I think $2800 is way to much for Belle's unless they are in some exotic finish and I have seen the ones on Audio Classics and they are Walnut. Do a search for the Belle thread where JeffE (I think that is his handle) is offering a pair of Belle's for $1500 he is in North Carolina. You want more detailed info shoot me an email, I owned Belle's for around 4 years prior to purchasing the Khorns.

You can get K-horns for a little over half of what those Belles are going for. Go with the K-horns...they will outperform the Belles!! You can always build false corners for them, if you don't have good corners for them in the listening room. Pick up a pair of K-horns for around 1500 bucks plus shipping...take some of your savings from the Belle cost and build some nicely made false corners, then use the rest of that savings to buy some nice tube equipment and such to power the K-horns. Your significant other may be worried about the size of the K-horns, but even in false corners, the K-horns will take up just a little more foot print in depth and a bit less footprint in width than Belles will. Just keep one thing in mind here...she may be worried about the size of the speakers...but once she hears them with good upstream equipment, she will LOVE them to death...if she loves music at all!

Thanks Guys! I guess I will keep squirling away the cash until I can find a good set, I always get a little nervous buying used from anyone but a dealer because I don't know what I should be looking for exactly. If they were Chorus II's or the KSP-400's I would know what to look for but when it comes to the K-Horns I am at a loss. Maybe when I am ready and find a pair, one of you guys who lives near and knows what to look for would be nice enough to check them out with me.

Thanks Again

I purchased a pair of Oiled Oak 1986 Belles in perfect condition last summer for $1,800, which was on the high end. They were one-owner and 99% perfect, local with no shipping, so I felt the price was justified. At first I was disappointed with the bass and considered a subwoofer. Over time I became accustomed to their sound and no longer feel the need for a subwoofer. The bass on the Belles, while not particularly "low", is quick and tight.

Very little to go wrong with Khorns, if the cabinet is in good shape the drivers and crossovers hold up extremely well. If you end up with a bad driver they are readily available on eBay. If you don't have ideal corners for Khorns, and don't have the room for the width of the Belle the Cornwall or La Scala should be a consideration for you as well. Either that see if the good folks at Audio Classics are willing to haggle on the price for what they are asking there is a ton of room for negotiation. I would be they paid $1000 or less for the pair and are obviously looking to make a killing. I have got some deals from them before on some DBX gear I guess it all depends on what you are purchasing from them. It seems they charge full retail price on the Klipsch stuff.

Fortunately I had my khorns before I had my wife :) She doesn't mind them though, they are tucked away in corners.

When I auditioned the khorns, I also listened to the LaScalas and Corns II, but no Belles.

I thought the LaScalas were excellent rock'n'roll speakers, but for some reason, I thought they were lacking 'subtleness' for classical/jazz(I'm an all-around listener). The Cornwalls were very good and I almost got them instead of the khorns, but alas, I was single and there was plenty of the green stuff, and thusly, I became an original khorn owner.

If you can get them, get the khorns, build walls if you have to

I'll have to agree with most everyone who replied so far, yoiu can certainly find Belles for significantly less money. You can also find K-horns for less money also.

Both K-horns and Belles will provide excellent performance, but if you have room for K-horns they obvioulsy give lower bass and outperform the Belle IMHO. The false corner idea is right-on, I am using K-horns with false corners in my 2 channel listening room. Regarding footprint of K-horns in false corners...my false corners are ~44" long (a bit shorter than the recommended 48") and measure ~63" wide and ~36" deep.

If I had proper corners for the K-horns that is the route I would go. Having said that, I own the Belles as I don't have the best space for the K-horns. I have a subwoofer, but do not use it with the Belles. The Belles are very, very good speakers. You cannot go wrong with either. Especially with good amplification. My recommendation is a low powered SET amp. I am driving mine with 2A3 moondogs. 3.25 watts per channel.