Power conditioner opinions? Monster Power?

hornnuts

Hey all, I am looking for opinions on power conditioning.

I am using an Adcom ACE 515 right now and feel I can probably get something (used probably) for another couple hundred that will match my system better. I mostly see the Monster Power stuff out there and read a lot of reviewers who do not like them.

Recomendations on how large of one to get? I am running:

Adcom GFA 5503 (200 x 3)

Adcom GFA 555 (200 x 2)

Adcom GFA 555 Pro (200 x 2)

for power amps and the rest of the equipment is

B&K AVP3090 pre-amp

BBE 362SW sonic maximizer

JVC XV-SA75GD

Klipsch La Scala Pro (front)

Klipsch La Scala Pro (rear)

Klipsch KP 201 (pro Heresy) with Klipsch KP 115 (15" sub) (center)

Yorkville Elite SW 800 (pair) 18" subs

and of course the Adcom ACE 515

I am not sure but think I am probably running too much power for my ACE 515. I will say no more and see what you all have to say about power conditioning and protection.

Thanks,

Josh

I also run the Ace-515, & run my entire system from it alone, including being fed power from a dedicated 30 amp power source (I used to blow the 15 amp CB). My system includes the following high power draws:

Onkyo 777 receiver (5x105)

Adcom 585 amp (2x250)

RCA 61" TV

Tivo

Computer

I have never had the Ace kick off for an overload, & I do monitor the voltage at times.

Even though you have a few more amps than I have, I cant imagine using them all at full power with the La Scalas. You would surly blow the house fuse before reaching full power.

I would hate to be in the room when you try!

Josh-

The Monster products, not just the power center, are often a mixed bag and either people love them or hate them. The major complaint is that most monster products are "over priced". I tend to agree with this sentiment.

Is there any specific complaints about the Adcom and what are you trying to acomplish with the Adcom? If its primarily due to surge protection, he monster power centers use a MOV type protection while the Adcom uses a "brickwall" style protection. The problem with MOV type is that they will slowly die so you might never know that you are no longer protected. The 'brickwall" type protection is generally preferred for lightning prone areas. The only complaint I had with the Adcom, (and why I didn't buy it) was that it really had limited "power center" options, ie limited outlets, limited startup/shutdown options, etc.

The Monster products, not just the power center, are often a mixed bag and either people love them or hate them. The major complaint is that most monster products are "over priced". I tend to agree with this sentiment, however, I ended up purchasing an Monster PowerCenter 5000 MkII. I purchased from an authorized dealer who, I think, miss entered the price on their website since it was about $300 cheaper then MSRP and at least $100 cheaper then anywhere else. Unless there is a gooood reason to upgrade, then I would keep what you are using.

-Dave

I have a Jon Risch design filter (DIY) that cost me about $100 in parts and a half day or so of labor.

It has a light touch with the inductors so it's real quick.

A couple of caps for voltage stability and a total of four outlets.

When I re-wire my basement to have a dedicated AC line for the stereo it will become unnecessary.

I'd sell it for $50 if anyone were interested.

Thank you all for your replies, opinions and gear offers. I do like the Adcom I am using, as some pointed out it does not offer enough inputs... I just bought another one on Audiogon for a good price, with mine less $ than a sufficient Monster Power model. I think this should do nicely, I will have 14 outlets with 4 for amps and double the timed plugs too. I should have ample protection and control. I would love to compare sound to other brands, maybe another time.

Thanks,

Josh

Thank you all for your replies, opinions and gear offers. I do like the Adcom I am using, as some pointed out it does not offer enough inputs... I just bought another one on Audiogon for a good price, with mine less $ than a sufficient Monster Power model. I think this should do nicely, I will have 14 outlets with 4 for amps and double the timed plugs too. I should have ample protection and control. I would love to compare sound to other brands, maybe another time.

Thanks,

Josh

nicholtl:

I noticed you have the HALO gear as I do. Can you tell me if you have a hiss when turning on your C2 and amps, with no source playing? I can hear a slight hiss from 14' away at my seated position when I turn on the C2. The amp alone does not hiss, just when I turn on the C2. I have started to consider a power conditioner as a possible fix for this issue. My Klipsch Belles are very efficient 103dB/w and Parasound tells me that they have only had hissing complaints from owners of Klipsch.

Thanks,

Rudy81

Interesting. Hiss when turning on the C2 with no source? No, I don't. The way I have it setup is the C2 goes into my Monster 7000 which is triggered to turn on the moment the C2 turns on (the C2 is plugged into an unswitched outlet, ofcourse). Upon turning on, the C2 sequentially triggers the A51 and the A21 (both plugged into the wall) with a 3 and 7 second delay, respectively. This prevents the so called "thump," but I do it to prevent major power overloading.

I've never tried the C2 without plugging it into the conditioner, but it may be the cause of the hiss. The only thing different I do from you is the conditioner, and I also upgraded the power cord to a PS Audio Xstream Prelude cable. My advice would be to get a good power conditioner, not only to clean up the static and drop the noise floor, but for godsake, surge protect your precious HALO gear! 16.gif

The hiss is there when turning it on and when it is on and just sitting there with not source playing. I do not have a power conditioner. I have started to look at items like your Monster 7000. I wish I knew where the problem was. Everyone is telling me that the high efficiency of the Belles is part of the problem.

The hiss is there when turning it on and when it is on and just sitting there with not source playing. I do not have a power conditioner. I have started to look at items like your Monster 7000. I wish I knew where the problem was. Everyone is telling me that the high efficiency of the Belles is part of the problem.

If I really crank up the volume there is a little hiss...and it's most likely from the high efficiency of my RF-7's. So not to worry, I think a little hiss is normal for every system. I AM sure that a conditioner would help though. I also considered going as far as getting PS Audio's Power Plant to provide balanced, pristine power for the system, but was told by experts that not only was it unecessary, but probably wouldn't make any difference anyway.

To have a completely 100% silent system, you'd probably have to be part deaf, or maybe just have the Wilson Alexandria X2's. But anyone willing to pay $250K for speakers is insane. I'd rather have the Mercedes SL55 AMG.

Well, so far Parasound assures me that the hiss is normal with speakers as efficient as the Belles. I currently have a Oneac power conditioner and protection on the system. If I take the conditioner out of the loop, there is no change either.

I see you are a skeptic. Well that's your opinion, fair enough. Ever tried a conditioner with your system? If it didn't work, sucks for you. It did for me, and that's why I suggested Rudy try it.

By the way Ruby, I just read your question on AVS and I'm glad you're getting alot of responses there. Is Brent really gonna come to your place to check it out? And also, checkout/join the Parasound Club at www.htguide.com where you can post to your hearts content about the Halo stuff.

Can you try substituting an amp with less gain/sensitivity (ie, a numerically higher input voltage rating) than 1 v. for 125/225 watts out? E.g., 1.5 v. or more for 100-125 watts, or 1.0 for 25-50 watts? I suspect you have too much amp gain for the Belles.

I have yet to hear from Brent. My guess is he is busy or out of town.

I have to hand it to Parasound. The President of Parasound is corresponding with me on this issue. He has explained some issues and has offered to have the unit checked out. However, he suggested I try something that solved the issue.

I am using balanced cables. He suggested I try unbalanced and see what the result was.

Guess what, the unbalanced connection is perfectly quiet!!!!

I thought balanced cables were better. That's why I spent the money on them.

I will say one thing, Parasound takes an interest in your problems and stays on top of things.

Is your gear using balanced or unbalanced cables?