Look What Someone Did To My Car!

arena

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but surely we can't talk about speakers ALL day.

I was stopped in heavy traffic on the freeway in my beautiful 69 Plymouth Roadrunner when the lady in the car behind me slammed into it at 60mph. According to the Police Report, she was too busy "looking at the train" to notice that traffic had stopped ahead of her. Amazingly, I walked away.

post-9304-1381924972113_thumb.jpg

I know its hard but the only really important thing is that you walked away (and I hope she did too - even if it was her fault).

I remember 2 days after taking delivery of a brand new BMW I was hit by a large citroen at a similar speed. Again both of us walked away unscathed.

Sadly - the insurance company decided the car was repairable and wouldnt right it off - it never felt quite right afterwards.

----------------

On 10/8/2003 1:41:00 AM kenratboy wrote:

The problem is you can't take your insurance check down to the dealer and buy a new one.

----------------

No, the problem is there is no insurance check. Technically every driver in California is suppossed to have insurance, but very few drivers here are actually insured. About 3 years ago my Porsche 914 was destroyed on the same section of the 101 Southbound in pretty much the same manner. Here's a picture of it (fortunately I wasn't in the car at the time, it was parked OFF the freeway in the dirt due to a minor mechanical problem. The lady who drove over it in her Chevy Suburban was high on pot and, according to an eye witness account, attempted to pass a dump truck on the right by running off the freeway).

I guess you could say I have pretty bad luck with cars.

post-9304-1381924972887_thumb.jpg

Arena,

So glad you were able to walk away from this. The pictures testify to the great sheet metal in older cars! Looks like your drivers frame came out intake! But it is still sad to see such a beautiful restroation gone to waste like that. Again I am glad your ok.

----------------

On 10/8/2003 5:38:14 AM arena wrote:

----------------

On 10/8/2003 1:41:00 AM kenratboy wrote:

The problem is you can't take your insurance check down to the dealer and buy a new one.

----------------

No, the problem is there is no insurance check. Technically every driver in California is suppossed to have insurance, but very few drivers here are actually insured. About 3 years ago my Porsche 914 was destroyed on the same section of the 101 Southbound in pretty much the same manner. Here's a picture of it (fortunately I wasn't in the car at the time, it was parked OFF the freeway in the dirt due to a minor mechanical problem. The lady who drove over it in her Chevy Suburban was high on pot and, according to an eye witness account, attempted to pass a dump truck on the right by running off the freeway).

I guess you could say I have pretty bad luck with cars.

----------------

How is that possible that there is no insurance!!!! Not many of those beautiful RRs left either. In MD that would never happen. You have to have insurance of some sort, whether from the state or private. I've been hit in the rear 5 times in the past 10 years and made out like a bandit each time. I can't believe California is that screwed up that people can get a car totaled and not collect an insurance check. What about taking her to court?

Good luck!

Hello:

I agree with GaryMD. Get a copy of the Police Report, she should have been tagged for no insurance and by hitting you in the rear, that puts her at fault.

Get an appraisal of your car, note what is was worth prior to the accident, get a medical check-up - at sixty (60) MPH, it would have to be one heck of a hit. File a civil suit.

And, as noted above, make sure you always wear your seat belt.

Good Luck and glad you're okay.

Win dodger

glad you are o.k....

now as far as the rr being totaled: THAT SUCKS!!!

my dad had a 383 rr new in '69

two of my friends had rr's, one a '69 w/383 and auto, the other a '70 w/pistol grip 4-speed, and air grabber.

both had been 'tuned'2.gif

when my friend w/the '70 would slam 2nd gear, it hit so hard, it would make the left turn signal come on!3.gif

they were turning high 12-13's in the 1/4 mi.

i had a '71 r/t charger w/440-4bbl and 'slap-stick' auto.

also a tuned '79 r/t and a '78 r/t both w/E58 option police 360's.

Most

Over

Powered

And

Respected

sincere condolences,

avman.

That picture made me ill. I was expecting some damage, but when the image loaded up, I felt sick of the stomach. Having owned a "muscle car" or two, I have a sincere fondness not only for those cars, but the joy in bringing them back to like-new condition. Can't really tell how much restoration work had been done to your car, but I get the impression some serious work went in to it.

Like many here, I too am glad you're ok. Had that been me though, I would be posting to the Klipsch forum from jail. For that's where I'd be after I beat the living sh*t outta that lady. 7.gif

Tom

----------------

On 10/8/2003 9:24:22 AM dodger wrote:

Hello:

I agree with GaryMD. Get a copy of the Police Report, she should have been tagged for no insurance and by hitting you in the rear, that puts her at fault.

Get an appraisal of your car, note what is was worth prior to the accident, get a medical check-up - at sixty (60) MPH, it would have to be one heck of a hit. File a civil suit.

----------------

Yes, she was cited, and several witnesses put her at fault. The problem is when someone without insurance runs into you in California, the most likely reason they don't have insurance is because they don't have any money, so filing a civil suit wouldn't be worth the time. An acquaintance of mine filed a civil suit under similar circumstances and was awarded $8000. The only problem was the driver at fault was so poor that the judge awarded the payments be made in intervals of $17 a month. Not really enough money to buy a replacement Road Runner.

You pay a hefty price for the constant 75 degree weather out here.

Also, as to the restoration, I got the car from Georgia roughly 7 years ago. When it arrived, it was a rolling body only, minus the drivetrain, interior, and engine, except for the original engine block sitting in the trunk. I invested 2 years and thousands of dollars in the full restoration. It's a shame someone can take all that away in a few moments trying to watch a train.

It had actually been a while since I had driven it when I took it out that day. I stopped driving it regularly after my 914 got smashed. I guess I realized whether or not my car got ruined had nothing to do with how good a driver I am, but instead depends on how good a driver everyone else is (a scary thought). So I changed the oil, washed it, and was just driving down the street to the local gas station to put air in the tires. At the station a homeless guy came up and started reminiscing with me about the glory days of muscle cars (I might end up missing how nostalgic that car seemed to make everyone more than the car itself). He eventually asked if there was a Greyhound bus station around, and since I hadn't taken the car out in a while I decided to drive him down to the station. Otherwise, I was heading back home.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess. The last I saw of that guy he was being taken to the hospital with abraisions to his head and legs (he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, and went flying around the car during the accident. He ended up in the backseat when all was said and done).

The accident happened on the 101 Southbound in between Glenn Anne/Storke and Los Carneros right before Santa Barbara. I was actually slowing down because of an accident that happened just ahead of us when I was hit from behind. Everyone slowed down on the otherside of the freeway heading Northbound to watch the show, which caused another accident, and another one 4 miles down the road. A few minutes later there was another accident behind us heading Southbound for a total of 5 accidents in 30 minutes. The accidents occured on 09/19 and I just got the police report yesterday, 10/07, which gives you some idea of how much trouble they had sorting everything out.