KHORNS 750.00 IN SAN FRANCISCO

louis

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 10/11/2003 3:05:36 PM Kudret wrote:

No such deals here in Montreal. I've been looking for a pair for several monts, even placed ads in the newspaper, still nothing..

----------------

Where are you located in Montreal?

Like you, I don't see too much K-Horns and Cornwalls around in Quebec City.

----------------

On 10/11/2003 10:05:29 PM Kudret wrote:

Jeff, I am in Pointe-Claire but I work downtown at Concordia.

I got lucky with my '84 Cornwalls though. I got them through an ad in the local newspaper.

----------------

I lived in Lachine until 4 years ago when I got back to Quebec City. I should try to get your the SET bug at some time...

>I lived in Lachine until 4 years ago when I got back to Quebec City.<

Jeff, Wow. I was in Dorval at the time.

> I should try to get your the SET bug at some time...<

Kelly already did that. I just ordered a pair of Welbornelabs DRD 2A3s and Erik has kindly offered to buld them for me, hence my inquiries for a preamp w/ phono in the preamp thread.

Did we hijack this thread or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you louis!

Those Khorns are now sitting in my listening room and doing very well. I picked them up on Sunday with the help of my 15 year old son and the generous loan of my neighers four door, half bed Ford.

I don't seem to be able to detect the diminished output of one of the speakers so far. What I did find was one of the bananna crossover connections only partially connected during the initial wipe down of the inside of the upper cabinet, speaker backs, and sides. So far, so good. A more technical approach to output levels to come. I have both speakers located well in the corners of my room, approx 8 1/2 feet apart center to center, and about the same distance to where I sit by a few inches. The room is about about 13 ft wide where the Khorns are located ranging of up to 20 wide in places and 27 ft long, ceiling over 18 ft high.

What is the difference between Belles and Khorns? From what I have heard so far, two things have changed from what I was hearing. More low frequency output from the Khorns, but that was to be expected. A taller soundstage, which I'm sure is due to the greater height of the Khorns. The Belles upper and mid horns were right at ear level when seated. Overall I also think the sound is a bit larger, maybe a bit more detail, but that is a rather vague statement which only some more time with the Khorns and reconnecting the Belles for a listen in a few weeks will make clear.

As far as the cosmetics, there's nothing I could not live with, without doing one bit of restoration. The veneer of the upper frequency cabinets show some splitting which appears to be more due to drying out than abuse. You can not see these surfaces from listening position. There is also split damage to the front edge of one of those UF cabinets, and the edge veneer strip on one is starting to pull away in spots. Again this looks to be the result of a very dry environment and no oil being applied to the wood.

This is the "Best Buy" I think I've ever made of audio equipment.

The 2A3 Moondogs, CarySLP90L, VPI Scout, and Rega Planet have never sounded better.

Klipsch out.

I went from Belle's to Khorns not to long ago and as you said the immediate difference was in the bass response. The better top end is most likely attributed to the larger K-400 midhorn. I am now running 3 La Scala's along with them - Woo Hoo! Very good price and within driving distance it does not get much better than that. Enjoy! 9.gif

Frzninvt,

K-400 Midhorn? Do you mean K-55? (I'm not a Klipsch driver expert.)

The Khorns were purchased as a "2 Channel" only component. Belles and LaScalas definitely are close to Khorns in sound quality. These Khorns were less than I paid for my '75 Belles which I considered a great buy as the second owner. There is much to enjoy.

Shapeshifter,

Thanks. You've got mail.

Klipsch out.

Duh,

Yeah, I realized what you were saying after my quick post. Agreed, quite a size difference. While on the size issue, Khorns are BIG(Tall). I used to think my Belles and Cornwalls were large speakers until having these Khorns in place. Woah Nellie!

One other note, I do not feel the need for a sub woofer with these speakers. Great, clean, low frequency response with my 3.5 wpc Moondogs.

Klipsch out.

jazman-

I see you make reference to oiling the veneer. Make sure they are not a lacquer finish if you intend to oil them. HDBRbuilder told me to NEVER EVER oil a lac finish. It actually softens the lacquer. What are the model #'s?

Ben

Ben,

This year Khorn 1993 has a different SN for HF and LF cabinets.

KB FB HF XXXXXXXXor

KB FB LF XXXXXXXX

So I guess that means Birch and an FB finish. I could assume that is a Black lacquer finish which would require a furniture wax. I have no immediate plans to launch a restore project, and the room where I have them will not be subject to floor or baseboard heaters. So far I've only wiped the top cabinets finish with a Pledge cloth. I'm sure there are better products available. What would you suggest?

Klipsch out.