Polk new speakers

easylistener

These are the new ones that where reliesed this month. They are three ways. 1" tweeter, two 5.25 midranges, and three 7" woofers. I know thay are not horn loaded and not klipsch. I listened to the RTI10's at a store tonight and compared them side by side with the rf35. They sounded very good and not as ear piercing with female voices. 1200 a pair.

I know that Polk has had some gems in their line over the years. I once had a pair of the Monitor 5 that used to grate on my ears mercilessly. It was those horrible metal tweeters. Talk about shrill! Even acoustic guitar sounded like nails on the chalkboard. And, depending on your gear, horns can do the same.

I even had a pair of their SDA2. They were intereseting but I could not affort the 600+ wpc they needed, so they went via eBay. There is one guy on these forums who had an HF-81 firing a pair if bookshelf Polks and praises them. The listener is the judge.

PolkAudio will please those who like a more relaxed and non fatiguing sound.Klipsch apears at the first listen to be agressive,they are not Klipsch larger speakers simply throw at you what you throw at them.

PolkAudio will sound more refined but as far as live music and full dynamics go Klipsch is the way to go.

Both have its pros and cons,PolkAudio makes good speakers.To say they sound like ...pOOp almost borders on fanatic hardliner attitude. LOL

Listn,compare and you be the judge.As nobody here holds a definitive answer.Your ears your preference.

Thanks ear. I am glad to see that there are still some other guys that love there music that they keep open minds about other speakers and how they sound.

My father has just ordered the rti12's. By the way he had the RF35's and RF7's in the house and he didn't realy like them. They were way to sharp. The 7's had insane low end with his big amp. He had Forte's before and loved them. Now he has a bigger tv and needs video shielded speakers. He hates to get rid of the forte's. I will let you all know how the RTI12's sound when he gets them. I also know that some of you will hate me for it.

Easy,

I think It's nice your able to help your father with his speaker upgrades/changes..........I for one am curious to hear your/his response to the Polks.........cheapest price I saw was Crutchfield for 1,339.00..... less expensive than a Pair of RF 7's!

Good Luck.

----------------

On 10/16/2003 10:16:52 PM TheEAR wrote:

PolkAudio will please those who like a more relaxed and non fatiguing sound.Klipsch apears at the first listen to be agressive,they are not Klipsch larger speakers simply throw at you what you throw at them.

PolkAudio will sound more refined but as far as live music and full dynamics go Klipsch is the way to go.

Both have its pros and cons,PolkAudio makes good speakers.To say they sound like ...pOOp almost borders on fanatic hardliner attitude. LOL

Listn,compare and you be the judge.As nobody here holds a definitive answer.Your ears your preference.

----------------

Yea,I heard Polk ONCE made a good speaker,not the 2k pieces of poop I owned.I lost almost 1k on that pile o'polk,THUS I paid for the right to DOGG EM'.And there are lots of speakers that are really good,why settle for polk when you can buy jensen,klh cheaper? No,they don't have the build quality of Polk but they sound about the same.I still have a pair of rt35i(car hole),klh compares well.

To me, all Polks I listened sound dull, muddy, their cabinet make horrible resonances at low frequencies. Definitely not my cup.

Oh, and Im more and more convinced about that the people who thinks Klipsch are "bright" are in one of three camps:

1) They have never listened to acoustic intruments live (without amplification, just the sound of real instruments)

2) They are to accustomed to the muddy sound of common speakers, and begin to think that they sound "ok"

3) They only listen to bad recordings! 2.gif

"To me, all Polks I listened sound dull, muddy, their cabinet make horrible resonances at low frequencies."

To me your ears need a cleanup,and new hearing aids.1.gif

All Polk caninets MAKE HORRIBLE RESONANCES! LOL You are too funny,many Polk speakers have much more solid cabinets than Klipsch speakers.What are you talking about

Your description is TERRIBLY funny.

And what is next all Wilson Audio speakers are...colored? 14.gif

It's important to remember how many speakers Polk makes. There must be million different models, and every couple of years they crank out something completely different. So -- making general statements about them is difficult. I do know the Lsi stuff was very well received, and I almost bought a set myself. However, I found them too polite. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Polks, they make great sounding value driven products. I just believe the livelier sound of horns comes closer to reproducing the live event, and does a better job of pushing the gear out of the way so you can hear the music.

In defense of the RF-7's, I need to point out that it takes about 100 hours for them to break-in and loosen up. Out of the box, they sound a little screechy and constricted. Both of these attributes vanish after some playing time -- leaving you with a wide open soundfield and a very natural sounding treble.

----------------

On 10/16/2003 10:16:52 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

ahhhh the ear, couldn't have said it better, why do people need to be so definitive in their opinions on what others may like? I believe the original question was had anyone heard them, not has anyone heard them and tell me what you think is bad about anything but klipsch. Your ears, your wallet, your decision and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. and BTW before you flame me I love Klipsch as well as other speakers.

Congrats on your new speakers for your dad!

----------------

On 10/21/2003 9:32:50 PM Manuel Delaflor wrote:

To me, all Polks I listened sound dull, muddy, their cabinet make horrible resonances at low frequencies. Definitely not my cup.

Oh, and Im more and more convinced about that the people who thinks Klipsch are "bright" are in one of three camps:

1) They have never listened to acoustic intruments live (without amplification, just the sound of real instruments)

2) They are to accustomed to the muddy sound of common speakers, and begin to think that they sound "ok"

3) They only listen to bad recordings!
2.gif

----------------

First my father listen to his Forte's there whole life. Second he listenes to only good recordings and throws the rest away. He had the 7's and 35's for 14 days. They sounded good but were way brighter then the Forte's in which he loved.

I would like it if you would go and check these speakers out. Check them out at there web site. They use real wood vineer. They also have all newly designed boxes.

I still own Klipsch and like them. I also own them and do not like to listen to some songs on them. The Ref. are great for HT.

I did not start this thread to start a flame war. I believe a lot of people here love music and all the gear that is need to reproduce it the best way they like it. I also injoy when people put thread like this on here so I can take a look at them and see what is all new around the world of audio gear. I knew klipsch is taking a good look at stuff like this, so they can make there products better ever time they come out with new models.

"To me, all Polks I listened sound dull, muddy, their cabinet make horrible resonances at low frequencies."

to me, all Klipsches I listened sound like an ear-piercing shriek, muddy, colored and their cabinets make horrible resonances at all frequencies...LOL...

it's interesting to see a Klipsch fanboy making such a blatant statement against a few Polks speakers and everyone just let it goes...but if someone else dare criticize even just one Klipsch speaker will be jumped all over...just because this is a Klipsch board?

I wonder if this is a Polks board, how would people react...

flame on...3.gif...

oh and Manuel, I recommend you prescribe to a hearing aid device or check yourself into the Stanford hearing institute for an ear cleanup...LOL...

You know what,Klipsch makes some good speakers and some...less good.As does PolkAudio,but lets not go to extremes and place Klipsch in gold medal position and Polk at the bottom of the barrel.

I can enjoy any type of speakers as long as they have more strong points then weak points.

For anyone who thinks he/she heard a really uncolored pair of speakers I recomend to listen to the Wilson X1's.These are very dynamic,have NO AUDIBLE BOX COLORATIONS(dont pretend they have any,the cabinets are as rigid and dead as they get).And above all are neutral,maybe too much for some.Wilson Audio make the world's best monitor speakers for studios,they are not the most popular because of the very high price.Other than price Wilson's have very few and very minor faults and on the plus side they do things better than the competition.

So if I had(was forced)to take one pair of speakers,based on sound quality.Wilson Grand SLAMM X1's would be it.The Alexandria X2 could even...best the X1 but by how much?Maybe 1%,for how much more $$$$$,lots more.

But seriously how many really have heard the X1's with proper gear,in a treated sound room(no a show display does not count),I have and what I heard was and is the best reproduced sound one can buy.

1.gif