Pre-1960 Vintage K-horns?

Soundthought

What do you want to know about the 57 khorn?

I have the folowing khorns 51,58 and two 59's plus other early klipsch speakers.

I like the early wood/glass mid horns as well as the crossovers on the early khorn.

They made them in three styles from D decorater utily cab to full dress fine harwood type B.

I think less than 1500 khorns were made before the 60's.

This site has copys of the 57 broucher http://hifilit.com/

Drivers used in 57 were stevens trusonic or EV 15 bass,University mid and tweeter.

Some 57's might have Ev t 35 as this is right around when they switched from university to Ev tweeter.

A pair in 57 is fairly rare as most were sold for mono use.

Dean- Good idea. I was really hoping some of those gentlemen would chime in here.

Khorn58- Thanks for the general breakdown.

So...they only made 1500 of them???

Interesting..

That would explain the serial# of 1382-57.

I'm fishing for specs, rumours, tales, benefits, short comings, and/or flaws concerning the '57 production run.

Also, I would really like to know how they compare, physically, to any newer models.

Thanks again.

Regards,

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....Khorns are home.

Thanks to everyone who offered their input.

Being that these are 45 years old, they're not in too bad of shape.

Some scratches and a few gouges.

Nothing really crippling.

At this time, I don't have a computer or digital camera to offer up immediate pictures.

A friend of mine is coming over this evening to snap some shots for all to see.

They are completely stock.

-Stevens/Tru-sonic 103LX-2 woofer.

(doesn't look like the doghouse has ever been opened)

-University SA-HF w/K-5-J horn.

-The original 500-5000 network.

There is onle one noticable problem.

The Radio Shack horn tweeter mounted in there.....has got to go.

LOL

Anyone have a spare pair of tweeters they would be willing to part with?

My first impression......

Big.

Forward in presence.

Creamy.

Lots of bass without being directly coupled to the walls.

Sounds poor on the Jolida 202a, yet quite decent on my Sansui Au519.

Weird.

(must be the tweeter) Ha Ha

That's as far as i've gone.

I'm going to refrain from passing judgement until I rewire them and aquire a decent set of tweeters.

Then, i'll set them up proper and do some serious amp/source rolling and critical listening.

One thing I can say with certainty...they are something4.gif

Regards,

Joh

Craig- I have no idea.9.gif

They will probably end up in the listening museum that I showed you in the basement.

I think that offers the best acoustic environment in the house.

For now, they are set up next to my entertainment center in the living room where my RF7s go.

I have them both tore down and ready for a once over.

And brother.....it's a crowded house.

Pieces parts, everywhere.

Ha Ha.

I love it.

Regards,

Johnny overstocked.

I was just comparing the numbers and I found this interesting.

The oldest one was built in Aug. of '58 and has the serial# 1273.

The other was built in Oct. of'58 with the serial# of 1314.

So, during the fall of '58, they must have been some busy bees down there in Hope.

41 units in 2 months....not bad.

Both are style B with W-2 finish.

Regards,

John.

Edit- I just noticed handwriting on the insides of the doghouses.

It indicates that one was built in Sept '57 and the other in Dec '57, so apparently they had the bass bins in stock during the '58 production line.

That would make the assembly of 41 units in 2 months more feasable. IMO.

In the dope from hope PWK recommended updating yhe pre-60 Khorns, University SAHF to K55V, University midt 4401 should be converted to three way,K77, and the midrange horn with the K400. The horn replacement is marginally better, some people can't hear the difference but measurement improved response and polar pattern. He also sold a improved motorboard for the woofer wich offered "marginal" improvement in the 200-400 Hz range. He also recommended replacing pre type A xovers and A xovers if your amp is over 50 watts.

(paraphrased but accurate as I am a TERRIBLE typest!)

The Tru-sonic woofer is widely considered the best woofer ever in a K-Horn. I'd leave that alone. The University midrange has a lot of adherents too. I'd be inclined to leave that alone too, if only for historical purposes. The tweeters should probably be 16 ohm K-77s. The "period" University tweeter is not well thought of in many circles - PWK called it "sad." The 16 ohm K-77s do turn up on ebay from time to time - the E-V T-35s show up more often and would probably work just as well-I've got a T-35 with a label scotch-taped to it saying it's a K-77. I believe Klipsch took a bunch of the EV tweeters, tested them, kept the best ones and sent the rest back to Electro-Voice, where they presumably wound up in Aristocrats and Regals.

There is no evidence Paul Klipsch ever used a Radio Shack tweeter in his speakers!2.gif

I have at least 2 70's era K-77s (AlNiCo) I will trade even one for one for K-77-Ms. I can measure the diaphragms DC resistance, but there was little difference between the 8 and 16 ohm version's DCR. The 16 ohm diaphragms are not easily found, but if you did, they would fit.

I also have a pair of T-35s, chrome horn EV models or a set of T-35s that look like Klipsch models, black horn with gold body. All alnico. Either but not both could be had reasonable. I think the ones that look like stock Klipsch are in my LaScala's now, the EV's are loose in a box in the garage.

Tom tmoble@cox.net

I think Great Plains Audio makes a 16 ohm replacement diaphram for the T-35/K-77. I blew a tweeter in one of my Shorthorns and, when I ordered a replacement from Klipsch, was told to use an 8 ohm voice coil and "not worry about it." It did seem to move the crossover point up a bit, but otherwise worked ok. The K-77s I've seen from that period (again, if we're talking historical accuracy here) had that EV rose purple hammertone color or were painted crackle grey and had a Klipsch label on the back. Both sport a nickle-plated horn. I believe the black, white and unpainted magnets came later. Of course, they'll be behind a grill cloth so no one will know but you.

Stay away from the early T-35s - the narrow ones without the Avedon plug in the middle. There's a reason PWK didn't use them. 2.gif

Shamless plug:

I have lots of both the 8 and 16 ohm version of the diaphragms for the T-35/K-77. I also have the 8 ohm version for the K-77M which includes the diaphragm already installed in the plastic housing.

Bob Crites

bcrites@cswnet.com