OT: For the married/engaged men amongst us.....

shoe11

Shoe is engagement ring shopping. I'm finding the process to be alot like buying audio equipment. There are tons of configurations, various opinions on which characteristic of the stone is most important and being able to spend a whole lot for a very small object. Reminds me of shopping for interconnects. 9.gif I'm in pretty good shape already. I know the cut (Emerald), the setting (platinum), the stone layout (diamond flanked by sapphires), her ring size and roughly the carat weight I'm looking at (1-1.5). What I'm curious about is experience of others who have been down this path that I now travel regarding the process in general and what combination of C's they ultimately ended up going with.

Any thoughts on this topic as always are appreciated. If we approached our ring buying like our Klipsch buying then I suspect there will be some interesting stories/opinions.

~shoe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit to taking the easy way out. We had already decided we were going to get married, but I didn't want to have her wearing the wrong ring for the rest of her life. We ended up shopping for it together, once she decided which one she wanted, it was a "simple" matter of me picking it up and paying for it. I don't remember all the "c" stuff anymore, I do know it was slightly over a carot, classic round cut, but I forget the color, though I do know it was right up there. 5K+ for a single stone in a band, but like they say, if momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. 9.gif

Make sure it is big and expensive (at least expensive looking). If it looks like a significant sacrifice was made, you will have several years of 'He at least cared enough do this for me'.

Be prepared to upgrade in about year 20 when the initial luster of the first ring has worn thin by your repeated attempts to live your life the way you want. Add a couple of children first so she recognizes that you appreciate her for more than being a sexy babe...

Good luck - this can end up the most rewarding journey you ever take.

As long as I live, I will never understand the hoopla over a chunk of coal. If diamonds were as cheap as oh.... A CD for example, nobody would give a craploa about then, but because they cost so much women just swoon over them. Why? It is a rock ladies, a chunk of black coal that has over time hardened and turned clear. Woo Hoo.4.gif

the hoopla is a hold over from the turn of the century when women could not own property - their jewelry was their only form of independant wealth, they were not even allowed to have bank accounts in their own name, since they were chattels of their fathers and husbands...2.gif

----------------

On 10/28/2003 11:18:36 AM avman wrote:

the markup in jewelry is HUGE
6.gif

----------------

Good point. Even at 75% off, they make big bucks. Not like you'd ever sell it (but you MIGHT trade it in for a bigger one some day), but new jewelry loses its resale value faster than an American car. That's not why you're buying it, though. Just try not to get caught up in the hype (like that insane "3-months income" rule).

fini

Hello:

Presentation is important. Also respect for her family.

If she has a Father you get along with, it may be old fashioned, but ask him for her hand in marriage.

As it is coming to the holidays, putting the ring around a button on a blouse you buy her. New Year's eve: get two glasses - probably plastic, with a labelmaker put your names on each, put felt around the stem, put the ring there, put bottom on and surprise.

Win dodger

----------------

On 10/28/2003 11:23:58 AM m00n wrote:

As long as I live, I will never understand the hoopla over a chunk of coal. If diamonds were as cheap as oh.... A CD for example, nobody would give a craploa about then, but because they cost so much women just swoon over them. Why? It is a rock ladies, a chunk of black coal that has over time hardened and turned clear. Woo Hoo.
4.gif

----------------

Then why..oh..why don't they go ga-ga over some real nice stereo setups ???? Some cost about just as much!!! must be a guy thing........ 9.gif

shoe,

When I was shopping the size didn't matter, quality did.

for instance you can do to best buy and buy speakers that stand about the same size as an RF7, for a whole lot less.

How do those cheap speakers sound compared to the RF7s?

Now a diamond. I find nothing more disrespectful to a woman than looking at a ****ty yellow 1.5 carat diamond that looks like someone dumped a packageof pepper in the center of the glass mold then passed if off as a diamond. Or looking at a diamond and it looks cloudy.

having said that I do not expect many people take the route I did. a near perfect diamond signature cut (more facets than the other cuts) and a mere .9 carats.

When I diamond shopping I was not able to find anything that suited my taste. The store had 3 diamonds cut for me and overnighted for my review. After 3 hours of looking at the diamonds the decisions was made. the only thing I hate about the ring it sits on a yellow gold setting, I much prefer platinum.

The emerald cut is the most flaw revealing cut of the diamond. With the smooth top it is easy to spot out the flaws such as cracks, clouds, and carbon deposits.

Her ring sparkles in the lowest of lights. On sunny days driving in the car it begs to be looked at. Even though it is less than a carat it shines as if it was double the size. We have gone to Jewelers and they practically rip her finger off to look at it. Many of times when we ask for a store to clean it they take a moment and look under the scope, not the 10x loop.

My recommendation would be;

quality over size, you will not regret it

if a place doesn't have a microscope do not buy there; 10 power loop is crap and is a gimmic

learn the different standards

ensure it has a serial number engraved on the diamond

do not buy without looking at.

NEVER NEVER NEVER leave it over night at any other jewlers other than where you bought it.

buy it as if you were buying a new amp for say a pair of B&Ws.

some interesting tips

http://www.benbridge.com/Pages/enhancements.htm

http://www.benbridge.com/Pages/diamond.htm

good luck

scott

----------------

On 10/28/2003 11:23:58 AM m00n wrote:

As long as I live, I will never understand the hoopla over a chunk of coal. ... Why? It is a rock ladies, a chunk of black coal that has over time hardened and turned clear. Woo Hoo.
4.gif

----------------

Oh... so true m00n! You are not paying for the beauty of the stone, and no one but a jeweller will know the difference... you are simply paying for the rarity of it. Rubies were once considered equally as precious, until man discovered how to make synthetic, chemically identical ones. They still look the same as before, but now they are a dime a dozen.

The larger and more perfect the diamonds (or jewel) the more everyone will be convinced it's fake. 14.gif Even those who bought a high grade stone here don't even remember what its grade or colour is.

Diamonds, their monetary value, or even the jewellery they are in don't make or break a couple. The love, thought, ambitions, hopes and honesty is really what counts. A ring which has a strong sentimental value such as a heirloom or one which conjures up fond courtship memories is worth much more than one large fake looking stone in it.

opps.... getting carried away in an over opinionated ramble... 2.gif I know there is more than just one way of looking at it... just make sure it represents who you are.

Good luck...

Rob

----------------

On 10/28/2003 12:55:31 PM boomac wrote:

Avs Fan has spoken and I suggest you take his advice.

----------------

Hello:

I also agree.

Post Marital ceremony, let her always know you care. If you should argue, never go to sleep angry.

From a song by John B. Sebastian I quote these words as advice:

"Love what you lack like what you share,

Correction comes with time to spare."

There are too many times when something happens and the person left behind regrets not saying I love you.

Keep your identity, let her keep hers, the identity of two will find its way. Keep life fun, full of surprises, never grow up except when needed. Remember all things, Birthdays, Anniversaries what ever is important. She will give you your space and hobbies.

No matter what age, hold hands, let her steady you as you can steady her.

Another set of words:

"I am my yesterday,

You are my today,

We are our future"

copyright June 1978, w.h.lewis

If you remeber these things you will have the best shot at your marriage.

Twenty - Four years ago, I forgot. I lost

I hope you do not.

Edit:

audio_kid: may we keep this between the two of us? Thanks.

some good advice, if you look at a few stones under a scope, not just a loop, you will see the difference in what you are paying for, also good idea to get a Certified Gemologist's certificate for the stone, though most jewelry shops will not be able to do this for you...2.gif

Guest Anonymous

I'M A GRADUATE GEMOLOGIST WHO UNDERSTAND THE QUALITY OF DIAMONDS AND COLORED STONES...big deal....i have found that even with my own wife, size is the most important..your fiance usually wont show off the color and clarity to her peers, but they will normally shout when it's over 2 carat.(for 5k) in a platinum mounting w/sapphire sides...this only works if she does not want(the best cut, color or clarity. also for more sparkle, you may WANT to thinks about a princess cut or radiant cut. Ican help you get this fine color, clarity, and cut, or a lrger semi off colored stone for WHOLESALE if you are interested.

anyway best of luck

smilin 9.gif10.gif3.gif

----------------

i have found that even with my own wife, size is the most important..your fiance usually wont show off the color and clarity to her peers, but they will normally shout when it's over 2 carat.(for 5k) in a platinum mounting w/sapphire sides...this only works if she does not want(the best cut, color or clarity. also for more sparkle, you may WANT to thinks about a princess cut or radiant cut.

----------------

This is why some people drive Hyundais and some Mercedes. the both do the same thing just one is a higher quality than the other.

Some have big off color diamonds some have smaller near perfect.

I gave the diamond on Christmas a couple years ago. I came home and asked her if anyone noticed. She humbly said oh yeah. The 3 other girls that got engaged had bigger diamonds and when they went hand against hand she won hands down. (sorry for the pun) She was the talk amoungst the girls not the bigger diamonds.

After a year I went back and purchased two loose .33 carat diamonds to put on either side. When we had the final mounting we were disgusted. The smaller diamonds took away from the bigger diamond so much we returned the 2 new diamonds and stayed with the solitaire.

Love is not expressed by three months salary, it is expressed by what makes her happy. If she wants a mediocre diamond or a smaller quality diamond that is her decision. I sincerely feel for those women that walk around with a diamond chip while their husbands drive around in a huge SUV.

My thought on a diamond:

Diamonds are forever, they all have their stories and meaning. To me trading in a diamond for something bigger is throwing away a bit of what makes the relationship special.

Scott

I know this was addressed to men, but may I add my humble woman's opinion. I'm with AVS fan. Go for the cut, clarity and color over carat!!! He's right, that emerald cut will show the flaws. My marquise isn't even a full carat, but (when its clean) it will blind you. It has the presence of a much larger stone. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with a larger stone if it was poorer quality. Go for the quality, and classic style.