Why is Tuesday DVD/CD release date

m00n

I did a ton of searching on this, the only answer I found was that it is an industry standard. Why Tuesday was chosen as the standard day is anyone's guess. Video games mostly come out on Tuesdays as well, and Wednesday seems to be the day for movies. My guess is the MPAA has conspired to maximize profits across the board. If Finding Nemo came out on the same day as Matrix Revolutions some people may be torn as to which they want to do. In this manner they get my money as fast as possible, thus tomorrow I can go pick up Finding Nemo and Wednesday I can go see Matrix: Revolutions without making any hard decisions.

----------------

On 11/3/2003 12:10:43 PM damonrpayne wrote:

thus tomorrow I can go pick up Finding Nemo and Wednesday I can go see Matrix: Revolutions without making any hard decisions.

----------------

Wow, you too. I have the exact same agenda tomorrow and Wednesday. Great minds think alike. 10.gif2.gif However, would not have been a hard decision if it was on the same day. Would have stopped by the local superstore early in the morning, picked up Finding Nemo and then went to see Revolutions that evening. Gotta have both.

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of Finding Nemo, Pixar is just plain awesome at what they do. I am still without my Denon AVR-4800 so I guess I have to watch it on the Bedroom system with the Denon AVR-3000 and Infinity speaker array - damn.

One MAJOR reason is because a retailer will generally have their shipment of new release product the latter part of the week before its release. If there are some unseen problems that arise something can still be done to assure that the store will still have stuff to sell on street date. If by Monday nothing has arrived I could contact my distributor and get an overnight shipment of new releases. If street dates were Monday that would be a nightmare. Fridays used to be THE day for video games but the trend lately is for them to be released on Tuesdays as well. There's no reason for having street dates just any day of the week. My point is: you knew that Tuesdays are new release date. Just think about all the millions of other people who also know that. The industry WANTS to have a day(typically a "slower" retail day i.e. Tuesday/Wednesday) that EVERYONE KNOWS THEY CAN GO BUY A NEW MOVIE FROM WALMART. It also creates a fair retail environment when all stores sell the release on the same date. If a store breaks street date and everyone hears about it they'll go there instead of waiting.

Synthfreek hit on it and so did a number of you, albeit not directly. New release Tuesday is on a Tuesday in order to get people into the stores midweek and increase customer traffic flow. Think about it, if Movies were released on a Thursday or Friday most people would just wait for the weekend (not necessarily HT/music enthusiasts). What you would end up with is the vast majority of your customer traffic on the weekends and an empty store midweek.

If movies/music weren't released on Tuesday how many of you would be making the midweek trek down to the local BB? I know I wouldn't be.

----------------

On 11/4/2003 3:16:29 PM erdric wrote:

If movies/music weren't released on Tuesday how many of you would be making the midweek trek down to the local BB? I know I wouldn't be.

----------------

That all depends on the movie. 1.gif