HH Scott 299D

Piranha

Guest Anonymous

From what I read on the klipsch forum, either Craig at NOS, or Ryan Inman would be the most referred here.

You can find both on the forum, I noticed when logging in that Ryan is online now, you can go to the home page and click on ryan's name and email and/or message him, i'm sure he will be happy to get the work!!!

Smilin2.gif

Great, thank you very much for the tip.

Do you have any personal experience with the HH Scott 299 amps? I want to drive a pair of Cornwall and Heresy's with a nice amp. What do you think I should expect to pay for one? Is the 299B a better amp sound wise than the 299D?

Well if nothing else I am glad that I have a 299d(nosvalves) on the way today. Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes you just have to go for the power and see for yourself. Until joining this Forum I have always improved my sound in two ways:

1-more wpc

2-more wpc by using pre-outs and amplification only

This in both car, boat and home audio.

If you see my sig below, this stuff is all 2003 purchases.

I have traveled to another galaxy to seek out and explore new worlds, to go where my ears have never gone before, to...

Captain...I just can't give you any more power...she won't take anymore.

The Scotts listed below both are excellent in my opinion. They both have their personalities so I matched them to the speakers as you can see. But they sound pretty similar. The 222 has more bottom end than the 299 I have.

However, as great as my 222 sounds, I think the 299 is a little better due to the more guts it has.

Hell, I love both and would buy either all over again.

Tom,

I think that you will enjoy any HH Scott, I was able to purchase a 299 about a year ago. I had it completely rebuilt to include the bias mod. There are telefunken 12Ax7s up front and 7189 output tubes. If you are interested or want to ask questions drop me a line at EasyEllis8@aol.com and courtesy copy Edward.Ellis@mildenhall.af.mil.

Thanks

EE

Pretty simple Ryan I don't have one hear to do it to !! The filter networks are the same in all Scott gear go read up and look for yourself. Your talking nonsense hear !

Your also made these contradictory statements above

I do not like the 299 or 299B, to my ears, the high end is rolled off and very harsh

How can a high end be rolled off and harsh at the same time ?? I bet they do sound horrible with Xicon cheapo 25 cent capacitors in them ! I tore many of them out much to my customers delight !

The amplifier uses excessive filtering

This is so ridicules its not worth a reply !!

the phase splitter add's coloration

You say this statement above and then recommend 2 amps with the exact same phase splitter setup the 222 and 222B

I've also heard you say a Gazillion times that you hardily are against any modifications the amps are perfect just the way they are !! What happened to that ??

I personally think its all bullsh!t all the Scott amps are great in one way or the other along with many other vintage integrated amps. I personally prefer the 299A and 299B with MY REBUILDS not yours . I think this is truly why you come out against them because I like them its all just another game to you !

Your were being a pretty good guy but your colors are again shining through !

Craig

PS Edit

You also say

I don't own a digital camera, and you know it! Therefore, I cannot possibly display the waveforms.

Then quit making completely unbelievable statements like below if you can not prove it ! Its just plan ridicules there is no tube amplifier that can even do what your saying !

I got a flat response from 20C to 20KC, with no distortion of the square wave.

Nice response Ryan. I am sure everyone appreciates the polite way you phrased your answers.

On the content poor electronically challenged people like me have no idea what you to are discussing.

Squares waves, I saw the picks on those, so I can relate. To what I do not know.

Now a magnum stretch +30 trolling in 35ft of water or less...a 250cc dirts bike changing rear sprokets for more low end punch, o-ring chain, boyseen reeds, Narly pipes...

Ryan,

You keep bringing up these ridicules filters like there really killing the sound !! These same filters are in the 222 and 222B. The thing is this is the first time in 2 years you have mentioned them that I have read your posts almost everyday ! Why is this ? Can't you get a idea of your own ? I have never heard of you doing a thing to better the design or implementation to a Scott amp ! You harp and harp again about the 222D and 299D but just last week I made you aware of a less then stellar setup on the output transformer secondary hookups. What happened to designing a rewire for that problem. I bet you found out it was not so easy hey !

I'm not making you look like a idiot all I did was show the discrepancies in your post above of which you decided to not answer the most pertinent ones ! I want you to prove these perfect wave forms and show me the difference in roll off on any of these amplifiers you can state things all you want I want facts or nothing at all ! Anything less is unprofessional and unethical business practice. Maybe its time to get in this century and invest in a camera to back up these off the wall statements !

You named the 222 and 222B with exception to the bias scheme and having positive DC on the 12AX7 heaters they are Identical circuits to the 299A and B this class A stuff is nonsense show me the facts not opinion and these problems will not arise.

You don't like 299a/b simply to stabe at me its childish

Craig