HH Scott 299D

Piranha

Just the same old stuff,

I tell you one thing I don't think the 222C and 222D or 299C or the 299D suck ! I think there all good amps along with many others ! In fact the designer of all these amps said his favorites were the 299A and B in the VTV artical about them ! Until I have customer feedback that tells me amps done by me are being bettered by anything less then thousands of dollars in today market then I will have to see proof of this with my own eyes on the scope. I guess I will have to try the filter bypass next chance I get ! I will post the results. It will surpise me if the difference is major if any at all. I think the Iron is a major contributing factor. At least the EICO proves it on that model running the Power amp alone which rules out the entire front end which in fact made matters worse the tranformers started ringing ! At this point I think it will be more than just cutting out a few parts to get rid of the filters. I think it will end up changing the voicing of the amp where more messing will be required to fix what was just screwed up.

Craig

Ryan, Where are these filters you speek of in the schematic? There seem to be a number of signal shaping RC networks in the "AF amp"/ scratch/ rumble circuits in the schematic of the 299B I am looking at. You've got me a little confused here. Of course thats not hard to do.

Rick

Clipped,

Ryan's all the sudden constant bantering over these filters has forced me to bug my good buddy Mark for clarity on what might work with bypassing them. I'm going to try to sneak enough time in this weekend to mess with these filters on the 222B of my own. I don't want to be hacking on customers gear for testing out theories if you know what I mean. I will do a complete report with photos of the differences gained or lost on the scope and to my ears .

Craig

Yup Mark they are in addition the switched filters were talking about built in filters that are always on. Don't get to caught up in it. Let me see if there is anything there to gain. I will be surprised if there is but never say never ! I have the schematic all reworked with Mark Deneens help so hopefully this weekend I can find time to try it out.

Craig

----------------

On 11/11/2003 3:07:31 PM tombjr wrote:

I am thinking of buying an HH Scott 299-D amp. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get overhauled and cleaned up if I do?

----------------

How much maintenance does a tube require? Do I have to send it in once a year for an overhaul? How long do the tubes last, how do you know when they are bad, and how much do they cost? And are they simple to replace yourself?

• 5 years later...