AES AE-1 Preamp

neo33

----------------

On 11/19/2003 2:47:57 PM mobile homeless wrote:

No bad day here, although the storm outside is pretty intense; the waves are about 8-9ft at the moment with hard wind and rain from the south.

----------------

Dang, I haven't checked a weather map in DAYS. With the wife traveling, I seem to see nothing but Caillou and Dragon Tales playing on the telly.

Pretty gray up here but the wind is coming up.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhh...the bird with colorful plumage arrives, talking yet again of his favorite topic: SACD. With all the knowledge gleaned off every advertising slogan spread far and wide, Parrot squawks, "Tis SACD, the savior of bits, the new vinyl, the ultimate in fidelity."

$200 at a SAMS and you can have it all!

I will hear a SCD-777ES in the next few weeks and look forward to it. Maybe my poor 18bit Rega will retire to my office system housing the lowly EL-34 push pull amp...

kh

"Maybe Neo would buy *all* your stuff?"

Maybe not. I just want three pieces from Kelly: Cary Audio SLP-70 preamp, Welborne 2A3 Moondog monoblocks and Linn Sondek LP-12 turntable.

The wheather is quite gloomy out here in the bay, too.

Last night I was experimenting with different types of 6SN7 tubes on the AE-1 and I noticed that when I tap anywhere on the surface of the preamp or the knobs (when it is idling), I can hear the metallic sound coming from the pair of bookshelf speakers attached to it. Also I can hear a slight hum on the left speaker from about a foot away and some static on the right speaker from a about a meter away. When music is being played, there were no hum and static. However, during some quiet passages, I can still hear the metallic sound when I tap on the preamp. Any idea why all these things happen?

----------------

On 11/24/2003 3:25:58 PM neo33 wrote:

Last night I was experimenting with different types of 6SN7 tubes on the AE-1 and I noticed that when I tap anywhere on the surface of the preamp or the knobs (when it is idling), I can hear the metallic sound coming from the pair of bookshelf speakers attached to it. Also I can hear a slight hum on the left speaker from about a foot away and some static on the right speaker from a about a meter away. When music is being played, there were no hum and static. However, during some quiet passages, I can still hear the metallic sound when I tap on the preamp. Any idea why all these things happen?

----------------

Hum and static, you will have to hunt those down. The metal sound is most likely the microphonic characteristics of the 6sn7's, its amplifying what your tapping on. You'll notice if you tap lightly on the tubes themselves you'll get a bass thump from them.

I have some RCA vt 231's that will even give you feedback when plugged into my Rogue. They sound very lush and musical, but can't deal with the draw backs of the microphonics.

Tom

Neo,

tapping on the tubes is akin to hitting yourself on the head with a hammer...why does it hurt? Because you are hitting yourself.

The tube ringing from mechanical oscillations, either due to you, electrical or accoustical shaking, is a microphone effect. Like a microphone, the tube will transmit these oscillations through the electronic circuitry - amplifying both the good musical information and the unwanted spurious noises.

Loose fitting tubes will also have undesirable reasonances.

While very slight in nature, they can become very pronounced when boosted 20 to 35 dB. Dean, Kelly, Guy and some of the other tube gurus can fill you in on tube dampeners. Just don't use a couple tampons to dampen the tube oscillations like one of my friends at the low end on the evolutionary tree - his famous statement to his wife when they got home was "Jesus Christ, honey, they musta come out of a hot ....." He had a rough time for a couple months.