New RC-7: WOW!!

Klipschsince87

I got the RC-7 for my birthday and all I can say is HOLY Freakin Moly!!! It is better than I ever imagined. It sounds amazing even paired with my SP-1's and SS-1's. For those of you fortunate enough to have one know and those of you who don't have one-buy one, TODAY. The difference is in the detail!!! I could go on and on but will spare you.

9.gif

----------------

On 11/14/2003 10:03:08 AM Klipschsince87 wrote:

I got the RC-7 for my birthday and all I can say is HOLY Freakin Moly!!! It is better than I ever imagined. It sounds amazing even paired with my SP-1's and SS-1's. For those of you fortunate enough to have one know and those of you who don't have one-buy one, TODAY. The difference is in the detail!!! I could go on and on but will spare you.

9.gif

----------------

Yeah, tell me about it. I have two of them - one in the front and one in the rear. The RC-7 is quite the speaker. Nice B-day present 9.gif.

Okay, now see if you can try for the pair of RF-7s to go with it for christmas. 11.gif

Radio Shack has an SPL (sound pressure level) meter for $35. With that and a way to isolate the same sound (demo CD or DVD is one way) through each speaker, you can tune the system to sound a lot better.

Actually, that may be why the RC-7 sounds so good to you. There is a psycho-acoustic phenomenon where the brain will judge the louder speaker to "sound better". Not that it isn't a better speaker in the critical center position, but your "Wow!" reaction may be due more to it being louder than it should be in the system.

Yeah the center rocks, I love mine. I would HIGHLY recommend recalibrating the system now tough, try to get that center blended in as best you can. Or just go get some RF-7's 9.gif I wish I could afford to get another one for a rear center, but I think I am gonna hold out to get another set of RF-5's or RF-7's for side surrounds and use myh RF-5's for the rear center and make a 7.1 setup finally. Maybe some RS-7's for sides, who knows, time will tell 2.gif

Congrats again, you are on the way to reference heaven 12.gif

I'm also a fan of the RC7,although I just replaced one with a LaScala. My rear centers are still RC7s, until my other LaS gets a recently purchased ALK installed so the squawker squawks.The RC7 will cover a lot of room, & you're right about it producing splendid detail.It kept-up well with my Khorn mains.It will improve (mellow) after a break-in period.

SSH

You guys are pushing me toward the RC-7 to match up with my Forte II.

(See my post elsewhere).

In my journey to replace my KV-1 I have borrowed a RC-3 II, yes most people say not a good match to Fortes but a hell of a lot better than kv-1, maybe due to the Fortes being spaced a little far from the 48" Mits than ideal the difference in sonic matching is not as big a deal. Still trying to find a Academy or KLF-C7.

But I'm thinking I would be very happy with a new RC-7 after listening to the RC-3 II.

Ssh you say the RC-7 worked well with the K-horns?

Dave.

--------------- -

On 11/15/2003 10:57:06 AM Bikeboy wrote:

You guys are pushing me toward the RC-7 to match up with my Forte II.
----------------

DON'T DO IT!

The RC-7 is a terrible timbre match with the Klipsch Heritage series speakers. The drivers are just too far separated in the evolution of the Klipsch product lines.

This is not just hearsay; I tried the RC-3 with my Fortes, and it sounded awful. Panning effects between the mains and the center (when someone was speaking from the left for right, or moving across the front soundstage) were way off, and did not sound realistic.

The same was true of the KLF-C7 with my Fortes; it is a closer generation to the Forte than the Reference series, but not close enough. (Although it may be closer to your Forte II's, since they both feature a Tractrix horn).

It was not until I snagged an Academy that I stopped being distracted by the imbalance in my front soundstage, and the fit is still not absolutely perfect; that would require a third Forte in the middle. The Academy is doing the job just fine.

The Reference series is a terrific choice for a new Klipsch system, but I would avoid mixing it with previous generations of Klipsch products, specifically for the mains and centers (you might notice that I do run a pair of RS-3's as surrounds, but the timbre difference is not noticable; and I would be using RS-7s, if I only had a space for them).