Klipsch Academy vs Cornwall

IndyKlipschFan

Specs, and some comments for "Heritage" sound Klipschers!!

Klipsch Academy Center Channel Speaker. This is an awesome center channel speaker made by Klipsch. This is a 1994 model. Big horn tweeter with two large 8" drivers. Speaker is in Mint condition. All drivers are in excellent condition. Condition guaranteed.

Speaker specs are:FREQUENCY RESPONSE:65Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY:96dB @ 1watt/1meter]

POWER HANDLING:100 watts maximum continuous

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE:Sealed

DRIVE COMPONENTS:Two-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) magnetically shielded, polymer dome compression driver with a 90°x40° Exponential horn and two 8" (20.32cm) magnetically shielded, poly cone woofers

TWEETER:K-76-KV 1" (2.54cm) Polymer dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:90°x40° Exponential Horn

HF CROSSOVER:2200Hz

WOOFER:Two K-1011-KV 8" (20.32cm) Poly cone

DIMENSIONS:23.25" (59.06cm) x 11" (27.94cm) x 10" (25.4cm)

WEIGHT:33 lbs. (14.95kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

============================================================

Klipsch Cornwall Center Channel

Specs.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE - 38Hz - 20kHz

SENSITIVITY - 98.5dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING - 105 watt maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE - 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE - Bass reflex via front-mounted port

DRIVE COMPONENTS - Three-way system using one 1" phenolic diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 2" (5.08cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn and one 15" (38.1cm) fiber-composite cone woofer

TWEETER - K-77-M 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN - 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HF CROSSOVER - 6000Hz

MIDRANGE - K-55-V 2" (5.08cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID FREQUENCY HORN - 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MF CROSSOVER - 600Hz

WOOFER - K-33 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

DIMENSIONS - 35.75" x 25.5" x 15.5"

WEIGHT - 108 lbs.each

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL - Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF) Results !

If the loudspeaker can reproduce the whole frequency spectrum from the lowest to the highest note a human ear can perceive, if it can reproduce a wide range and the most complex sounds effortlessly and with lowest distortion and if it can reproduce music in its whole dynamic range, it must really be a good loudspeaker. No doubt Klipsch Cornwall can do this. And no doubt, it is an exceptional loudspeaker.

Cornwalls are large speakers and they sound like it. They present a very large, natural sound stage

They are one of the few speakers you will ever hear that you will instantly love !!

They reproduce music effortlessly, whereas most speakers color the sound in some way. They have a transparency to them that I have not heard before, or since. The other remarkable thing is volume. These things sound perfect at any volume that you can physically withstand. I can honestly say that I have never heard them distort.

Cornwalls not only reproduce sound, they transfer-transform-restore original power and energy too ! Cornwalls transmit and restore total sound energy within entire audible frequency range. They restore it within tremendous dynamic range. And there is a direct functional correlation between energy being radiated by the loudspeaker as a system and the physical and emotional excitation of the listener. Thats why Cornwalls excite so much.

Cornwall is unbeatable in terms of dynamics, presence and the ability to transform a real life feeling into your living room. They reproduce music with absolute clarity the sound is pure and clean. Bras is reproduced with the blat intact. Trumpets and trombones are right there. That's why they are so persuasive. Internal volume of 220 litres assures effortless and unique low-end response. It is practically impossible to replace this exceptional "mechanical" characteristic with any "electrical" means adequately. Reproduction of LP is unbelievably good. Even when playing old and worn LPs. When reproducing directly transmitted signals (directly from microphone or via FM tuner) Cornwalls sound absolutely spectacular - there is no difference at all between "they are here" or "we are there" statements. With good recordings, Cornwalls sound fabulous; really very good. With poor recordings, Cornwalls sound poor - of course, they are not designed to "improve" or color sound. But always, whatever the source is, Cornwalls sound REAL. ALWAYS! Cornwalls is TRUE monitor and REAL speaker.

It is an OPTIMAL loudspeaker as well. There is literally thousands of good loudspeakers around. Regardless of price it is hard to find few of them to come close to this masterpiece.

Klipsch loudspeakers are a MASTERPIECE!! They will be out of date only when the laws of physics change.

I would consider it a compromise based on the fact Klipsch has yet to come to the call of Heritage owner by building us a center channel that is timbre matched to the current Heritage line. I actually prefer to stick with an all horn loaded speaker for a center rather than a direct radiating one myself the La Scala has a larger midrange horn and a horn loaded bass driver as well which more closely matches the response of my Klipschorns. Don't get me wrong the Academy is a damn good speaker but as stated it isn't a Cornwall, Belle, or La Scala. I refused to compromise and was bound and determined to figure a way to get a full size Heritage speaker in the most important position "The Center" I guess I have a great wife she understood.

I have 5 circa 1984 Cornwalls, three serving in my home theatre arrangement.

I had the opportunity to buy either an Academy or a Cornwall, so I spent just a few dollars more and purchased the Cornwall. Best decision yet on my home theatre.

Since I'm single, I make the calls about what stays and goes in my house.

----------------

On 11/21/2003 9:19:55 AM Vahorns wrote:

I have 5 circa 1984 Cornwalls, three serving in my home theatre arrangement.

I had the opportunity to buy either an Academy or a Cornwall, so I spent just a few dollars more and purchased the Cornwall. Best decision yet on my home theatre.

Since I'm single, I make the calls about what stays and goes in my house.
----------------

I agree with the above. The only exception is that I decided to pay a little LESS money and got a Cornwall instead of an Academy
1.gif

It has not arrived yet but I will post pictures when it does.

Laters,

----------------

On 11/21/2003 7:47:40 AM tillmbil wrote:

So is the Academy a good substitute in your opinion?
9.gif

----------------

IMO - NO. Rodger is correct in that a full range speaker makes a much nicer center than a traditional center speaker. Having full range of sound adds a whole new dimention to "Home Theater". If you skimp, you will loose.

The absolute best solution, if at all possible, is to use the same full range speakers for the front three channels of your HT. If that is not an option, then do like most of us and get another closely matched full range speaker.

I agree with Frzninvt in that I prefer the sound of a K400 in between my Khorns. In my case, I built a gigantic HT room spacifically to house my Big Heritage speakers. 22' x 34' reinforced corners and all.1.gif1.gif

If you enjoy the Big Heritage sound, don't skimp on your center.

JM

----------------

Rodger is correct in that a full range speaker makes a much nicer center than a traditional center speaker.

----------------

If the electronics are the same for the center channel, i.e., full range output and mix of L&R stereo channels, then it would stand to reason to use a full range speaker. However, the center channel in Dolby, etc., is fed discreet information from the soundtrack that is different from the left and right channels. Some old integrateds had a center pre output for another amp and speaker, but that was mix of L&R. A large (heritage) center may well be overkill in size and range capability.

----------------

On 11/21/2003 12:16:41 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

If the electronics are the same for the center channel, i.e., full range output and mix of L&R stereo channels, then it would stand to reason to use a full range speaker. However, the center channel in Dolby, etc., is fed discreet information from the soundtrack that is different from the left and right channels. Some old integrateds had a center pre output for another amp and speaker, but that was mix of L&R. A large (heritage) center may well be overkill in size and range capability.

----------------

But the same could be said for the front mains. I mean if you are sending all the bass to a sub do you really need a huge speaker anywhere? Dunno depends I guess. I could tell a difference (for the better) when I switched to larger speakers (rf3s/rs3s/rc3 -> Cornwalls/Heresys/rc3 -> Cornwalls/Heresys/Heresy -> Cornwalls/Cornwalls/Heresy -> Cornwalls/Cornwalls/Cornwall). Also I would put forth that for movies the center channel speaker is the most important speaker in a setup. In most movies it handles 60% of the soundtrack.

Addtionally if you plan on having a dual use system then having a stout center speaker is a must for DVD-A and SACD listening.

laters,

Foot

Even with discrete 5.1, you still would want full range speakers IMO. First off, if the speakers are voiced the same you will get a lot better 3D sound effects. Im not just talking science fiction or explosions, but I have experianced more 3D sounding dialog in some movies.

Also in concert or music films, a full range center is a must. In that case Full range is a must all the way around IMHO. In King Crimsons Deja Vroom, there is a large part of the film with Bill Brufords drums in the right rear. Run that through a standard surround Dipole.... I for one would not enjoy it.

JM

I have had different pairs of cornwalls over the years. The pair I have now are verts. I have found this to be a huge convenience since cornwalls are large and imposing in a room, especially for a center channel. They can be laid on their side effectively (and they get more bass that way too).

You can lay the vert beast down on its side, and put the TV on top of it. It makes a great TV stand. Then the thing blasts right at you.

Some of the HT receivers have controls to tell the system the center channel is either above or below the TV.

While I am not using it that way now, I have and it works.

Corn over Acedemy!

Enjoy.

I am just happy to share from my own knowledge from trying out different things out too. It is how I have learned from many of you on the BB also. I also realize not everything I say is the only way to go as well.

I agree the Cornwall left, center, and right, would be a great front. If at all possible in the rears, also have Cornwalls too. (This is the dream setup I hope to employ in a HT sometime this winter - spring downstairs. If I get brave enough, I might use the origional Heresy's I have owned since I was 15 yrs old..now 42... to the side surrounds making a 7.1 system).

I also agree the center is soooo critical, especially if you already have K horns La Scalas Belles or Cornwall fronts. (Read big sound) I happen to have my own opinion to how and why I think the Vertical Cornwall speakers like my own made in 1967, Cornwall II's, now on its side... are incredible. I am soo happy with it, thats why I am trying to inform, educate perhaps, and hopefully some of you will try it too. Just so you all know too I do not have any Cornwalls for sale on Ebay, or Audiogon, so I have no motive other than OMG is this wonderful sound.

Many years ago, a friend had three hersey's. Left, Center and Right Speakers and some lower quality rears..Origional pro logic, it didn't matter much. He also had a great Velodyne sub. Since I heard this setup I appreciated a uncharacteristic mix match of equipment that also sounded great too.

And Bill.. Underneath...

Roger