AV15 sub is ready...

formica

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the positive comments. I set out to build a sub which could keep up / blend in with the heritage... can't wait to run it through it's paces. Based on other similar subs, I should be set (I'm 70% music / 30% HT). My alignment is between EBS and optimal (flat), but closer to the flat.

Speaking of similar subs, theoretically frankie does have more displacement from two AV15's than one Tumult... either of which is over kill in a small room. My SPL meter maxs out at 126db... so Frankie... carefull with those ears, if you don't want to look like your new avatar!!! 6.gif

Firebird, do you still have your bed in there?... 3.gif I'm looking forward to your impressions of the sealed Mammoth vs the vented Tempest. Like you said, what a difference in size!! Actually, since you have the smaller sub you'll have to bring it to my place... and I'll supply the free drinks. 1.gif

No BFD here either, but it's on my short list... right after an amplifier, and maybe a RTA. I'd like to get a feel for my new sub before tweaking it.

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 11/26/2003 7:35:45 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

I'm using a Samson S1500(750 watts to each).

----------------

How good a match do you find the Samson to your EBS-AV15's? Have you clipped your amps or bottomed your subs with that setup?

Frankie,

Gorgeous EASY-POUR finish,and how did you make those superb EASY-POUR logos?

2.gif

I wish Aerial Acoustics had the vaunted EASY-POUR finish,and HSU "gorgeous" and "durable" black finish.And how about SVS praised PB2-Plus finish...

LOL

They may be EASY-POUR but they aint weak or timid.Nice subs Frankie

----------------

On 11/27/2003 2:34:47 PM TheEAR wrote:

Frankie,

Gorgeous EASY-POUR finish,and how did you make those superb EASY-POUR logos?

2.gif

I wish Aerial Acoustics had the vaunted EASY-POUR finish,and HSU "gorgeous" and "durable" black finish.And how about SVS praised PB2-Plus finish...

LOL

They may be EASY-POUR but they aint weak or timid.Nice subs Frankie----------------

I know...doesn't everyone wish they had EASY POUR logos on their sub. I've had them running for a while but I've just been lazy about finishing them. I bought some granite colored Fleck Stone paint for the baseplate and the top(I'm not tall enough to see the top9.gif ). I keep saying I'm gonna finish them but this weekend I think I actually might do it. I still need to go get some fabric to cover and protect my beautiful EASY POUR logos.

----------------

On 11/27/2003 5:19:47 PM fire pinch wrote:

Will you pay also the unleaded fuel used for coming in Montreal also?
9.gif11.gif11.gif

----------------

Didn't you just buy a PLX 2400?$$? 11.gif11.gif9.gif and gas money is all that's keeping you from the 2hr drive?... 2.gif9.gif9.gif

Seriously though, I will let you know next time i pass in your area though...

Rob

CH... de TAB... de ROUTER A M**DE!! 7.gif7.gif7.gif Talk about a DOLLORAMA ROUTER!!! I Just missed one brace because of it!!! Since the beginning, I knew it wasnt so trustfull but I kept using it. Just for cuting 3/4" of thickness with that **** router, I must go by FIVE PASSES for an entire circle because the cutter is so burned LOL!!!! Can some DIYers tell me if they are able to cut one 3/4" thick hole in ONE pass with their router? I'd feel better with a new one for sure! AHHH!! 7.gif I guess that for now, I'll have to live with that glitche and I'll have to continue my work with that VERY NICE and uglyfull router! Even if I cant see that 1/8" scratch (on a circle) from the outside, Im still really angry of whats happened! 7.gif

----------------

On 11/28/2003 9:46:19 PM fire pinch wrote:

CH... de TAB... de ROUTER A M**DE!!
7.gif7.gif7.gif
Talk about a DOLLORAMA ROUTER!!! I Just missed one brace because of it!!! Since the beginning, I knew it wasnt so trustfull but I kept using it. Just for cuting 3/4" of thickness with that **** router, I must go by FIVE PASSES for an entire circle because the cutter is so burned LOL!!!! Can some DIYers tell me if they are able to cut one 3/4" thick hole in ONE pass with their router? I'd feel better with a new one for sure! AHHH!!
7.gif
I guess that for now, I'll have to live with that glitche and I'll have to continue my work with that VERY NICE and uglyfull router! Even if I cant see that 1/8" scratch (on a circle) from the outside, Im still really angry of whats happened!
7.gif

----------------

I usually do 2 passes on 3/4" MDF with my $100 Craftsmen router and a Whitesid 1/4" spiral upcut bit from Woodcraft.

----------------

On 11/28/2003 9:46:19 PM fire pinch wrote:

CH... de TAB... de ROUTER A M**DE!!
7.gif7.gif7.gif

----------------

Lol... you could have typed the full words, I doubt the forum would have filtered any french religious terms anyways !! 11.gif9.gif

I actually did 3 to 4 router passes on my visible cuts in the 19mm Baltic... but it's harder than mdf... so its not much of a comparison. Most of my tools were borrowed, but the 70's router I got was heavy and actually worked very well. The air nailer was simply sweet... 10.gif

Hey, if you mess up a couple of panels... I may still have time to catch up? 3.gif

Rob

Wow, I didnt know that some $100 router could do that job!!! Well, since the very first sub I've done, I always use the same old router which is by the way a Kraft man 11.gif and the problems with it came slowly. Now, the troubles are worse than ever!!! I tried to continue the brace after I wrote my last post and you know whats happened?

The spiral upcut bit got out of the router!

LOL!!!

And it was really well tighted because I tried a second time (I tighted the bit like before), and it went out of the router another time!!! But during the second time, I didnt damage too much the circle hole (ahhh, unfortunately for you Formica 11.gif3.gif). Tomarrow, I think that Im gonna change of bit (dont think about the sexe thing those who are french dudes lol!) because seriously, next time, if I use the router without changing anything, it will explode enormously in my face 6.gif! Definitively, the bit is really finished (except mine on my body 2.gif). Hiiiihihi! 9.gif

Just to get Formica more stressed haha9.gif9.gif, I just wanted to write this for the hell of it. All my braces are finished and they are sticked to the cabinet. I succeded to remove my glitches done by the router by simply sanding and now, it looks like the router did a perfect job, fortunately 1.gif.

Tomarrow, I'll stick all the other pannels (back, sides and top) and I'll round some corners so the sub will be "pre-finished". I had the idea to test the sub before applying a finish (oak wood veener) but still before testing it, I'll have to buy quite a lot of things: a pair of gold plated binding posts, eight T-nuts, a Flextra tube for sealing all the possible corners, and 12 ga wires. I'll have to get too a XRL to RCA converter because of the QSC PLX amp which has XLR inputs and my Paradigm X-30 unit which has RCA outputs 8.gif.

So Formica, you still have some time left!!! 11.gif2.gif9.gif If you can have your amp before the end of this week, you may............"win!" 14.gif

You can relax burning bush, I doubt I'll have it up and running before xmas. 12.gif

I have been in contact with the person with my original amp... and I'm considering having I sent up by the slowest mail to avoid it arriving while I'm gone during xmass holidays. Air mail would get it to my place the week before vacation, but that would only be if everything is sent according to plan, which I doubt as it has been FAR from the truth so far 7.gif ....

I was hoping to go see another amp locally this weekend, but the guy never called me back. Seems like no one follows through 15.gif ?!?

The only way I'll beat you is if we consider a sub finished only once the finish has dried... in which case Fabulous Frank would have to join the club (welll.... unless the easypour monoliths are part of an advertising campaign for concrete tubes... 3.gif )

what do you say?...

Rob

PS: have you tested you PLX yet? You have any in progress pictures?

----------------

On 12/1/2003 2:23:14 AM formica wrote:

The only way I'll beat you is if we consider a sub finished only once the finish has dried... in which case Fabulous Frank would have to join the club (welll.... unless the easypour monoliths are part of an advertising campaign for concrete tubes...
3.gif
)

what do you say?...

Rob

----------------

Haha...I actually took a visit to the fabric store this morning and purchased the material to cover the tube. The lady who cut the fabric for me asked what I was buying so much fabric for, when I said to cover a speaker you should have seen the look on her face9.gif.

Burning Bush:

To answer your question, I've got a 1600 c.f. room (17 X 12.5 X 8 ft) in which my sub resides. Fairly small considering I've got K-horns in two corners and KLF-30's in the other two. Like a room-sized headphone almost.

But why on earth are you going to go sealed in a small enclosure with that Tumult? My feeling is that it's not gonna do all that great in such a small enclosure...doesn't give that monster enough room to "breath", so to speak. But numbers will tell the story in the end...

And I have no doubt, and in fact predict that FAB Frankie's dual AV-15s are going to blow us all out of the water. After all, what would you expect?

Nevertheless, it will be an interesting set of comparisons.

And EAR, pray tell what are the target frequencies you stated once before to assess sub performance? 16, 20, & 32 Hz?

And is it max output that you want at these frequencies? Turn it up until the sub starts making bad noises, back it off a little until bad noises stop, take your dB reading and that's your max output at those particular frequencies?

Thanks,

Jeffrey S.

1.gif

----------------

On 12/1/2003 1:31:02 PM jstanton wrote:

But why on earth are you going to go sealed in a small enclosure with that Tumult? My feeling is that it's not gonna do all that great in such a small enclosure...doesn't give that monster enough room to "breath", so to speak. But numbers will tell the story in the end...

----------------

I wanted to go sealed first, because of the small enclosure. Moreover, I'll get better sound quality all around, tighter and the sub will normally go almost as deep as a ported one in my room (See how well my sealed Tempest did in my test). I still beleive that I'll get flat response down to at least 25 Hz, and I won't be down of 10 dB at 16 Hz. I know that I will not get the full max SPL of what the Tumult can do, but with 2400W of power, dont forget this, I think that I will get very good SPL! Better than those who run their sealed Tumult with only a 1000W amp 1.gif... those people often (some might use VERY low Q alignments) dont even use the full potential of their woofer!

Still, maybe next year, I'll perhaps make a vented enclosure for the Tumult to get more SPL if I wish it.