AV15 sub is ready...

formica

It's DONE... welllllll almost... 2.gif I just wanted to post up the fact that my AV15 sub is complete, varnished, assembled, and polished!!!!. It's modeled after the Klipsch Heritage decorator models with it's exposed plywood edges and similar foot and grill details.. and turned out pretty nice. There are small blemishes which bug the cr@p out of me, but isn't that always the case?

IMG_1554-web.jpg

Problem is I hope it performs as good as it looks as I haven't received my amp (don't know if/when I will) as it's MIA. I'm shopping around for another but I might have to wait till after x-mass as I'll be out of town for 3 weeks. That'll leave firepinch plenty of time to catch up... 2.gif

I've been very busy, but I posted a single picture, but I'll try to take some more pictures this coming week... as well as bring it up into my living room! I haven't weighed to total package, but the parts tipped the scales at about 130lbs, so I'm going to have to get some help 4.gif .

Later...

Rob

post-11489-138192502553_thumb.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry about the finish, I tend to be a perfectionist... and it does look great from less than 12" away (definitely better than my set of factory finished Heresy)... but it's more one of those "I want the PERFECT piano gloss finish" things... 2.gif I made a matching grill... but think it looks nicer without it.

The specifications are:

Driver: Stryke AV15

Volume: 6ft3 (after port and driver corrections)

Tuning: 19.5Hz (measured)

Fill: ± 4lbs of polyfill

Construction: ¾" Baltic birch braced at about 8" c/c

Power: 700W @ 4ohms (missing in action)

I have a ton of pictures... and I'll get some online soon, but I have been short of time these days. Here is an image of the rear flare and the bracing:

IMG_1516-web-s.jpg

Testing the box (test tones and a volt meter) gave me an equivalent volume of about 7.5ft3 which is slightly higher than the actual one, probably due to port losses as well as the polyfill. That is principally why I lowered my tuning point.... as it should produce a pretty flat theoretical response (F3 is supposed to be just below 20Hz).

I just can't wait to see how it will actually perform compared to the theoretical !!

Thanks guys...

Rob

PS: I'm currently shopping around for a used amp in case my other one never shows but the best I've seen locally was a QSC EX1600 for about 500$cnd (±378$US).

post-11489-1381925025631_thumb.jpg

Wow! 6.gif Really nice job Formica!! The most impressing part for me is the braces you have there! I dont know if Im gonna be able to catch up with you because I dont think the sub will be finished for this week-end! 14.gif I got some problems with my router so I wasted quite a lot of time! Still, for now, the front baffle is done and it is sticked to the bottom pannel. Im gonna work on the braces tomarrow. The bracing part will not look as surprising as you, I dont have so much place to brace a smallish 18" cube enclosure with a woofer which take up a lot of space 8.gif.

The coutouts in the bracing are both finctional and look great(yes nobody will see them,unless the sub is clear).No restriction on the air flow inside the cabinet.

One could make round holes,larger or smaller and get a very similar effect,less work but it would not look as professional.

Great work on the bracing

----------------

On 11/24/2003 12:18:25 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

Is there any particular reason for cutting that particular shape in the bracing?

----------------

There is logic behind the design of my bracing, although i have no proof that it actually makes any differences given the relatively small forces involved.

The idea was to provide the greatest strength while displacing the least amount volume (my box is large enough the way it is!!). So I based my design on open web trusses while incorporating two rings (one for the port, and the other for driver clearance) and it should do pretty well from a structural aspect. This is further reinforced by the small blocking running the perimeter of each.

I know the actual maximum pressure isn't actually that high though, so it's definitely overkill... but isn't that the rule of thumb in subwoofers anyways? It's what i do for a living and like THEear said, I wanted my sub to look good (professional) from the inside as well the outside. 1.gif

Later...

Rob

post-11489-138192502572_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous

WOW the sub & the cornwall look great!!! Happy listening, hope the amp gets to you soon, it must drive you nutz to be able to look at the sub, but not hear it!!2.gif Jusr a great professional looking sub, luke it came from the factory.

Nust have been ordered by from the FORMICA mfg. co.9.gif

Smilin

Nice job Formica. Nice job. If it sounds half as good as it looks... Not to worry, it will sound good. The AV-15 is a very good driver, as I'm sure you're aware. That would be an EBS configuration wouldn't it?

How's about if I get in on this Battle of the Subs? Burning Pinch, I challenge you and your puny little sub to a duel to zee death. Oh that's right...you have a Tumult too. Sorry. Big bastard, ain't it? Anyway, I sure hope you put that thing in a decent sized box or you may as well stay home and cut bait buddy.

I propose we post output of our subs from 10 Hz on up to 100 or so @ 1meter. HEY EAR: what are the best parameters to measure to get an idea of sub performance? I think you said once max output at 16 Hz, 20 Hz, 32 Hz, something like that....I guess what we would be shooting for is max output at those frequencies (maybe throw 10 Hz and 12.5 Hz in just for grins, with additional points being awarded for flatness of curve...

I presume you guys plan on Eq'ing your subs at some point, & this would give us a leg up on getting the proper filters lined up for our BFDs. I assume you have BFDs or something equivalent..(Anyhow, I'm gonna need help on the EQ.

Let the games begin, and may the best sub win.

3.gif

Yep Jstanton, I have the Tumult woofer BUT it will be in a sealed box. Depending of your room size, I expect you to win with your vented Tumult in MAX SPL test 1.gif What is your room size? We might get close too, because I dont have a 1400W amp, but a beasty 2400W amp 3.gif I think that im gonna be able to push my Tumult at its extreme limit. I wish I'd have a vented enclosure but this will maybe come next year. For now, I wanted to try first a sealed box, just to see how will be the sound quality which is "supposed to be better" than vented box, tighter group delays.

For the FR curve test (bass as flat as possible), this wont be fair because I dont have any EQ 14.gif Still, I appreciate a lot the results with my Tempest, I get +/- 2 dB from 16Hz and up. I really LOVE my room, even if it is small sized 3.gif

Oh and by the way, I just wanted to add that im now working on the braces. I almost finished. I have to do some work on them tonight and after that, I'll just have to do the "glue process", sealing the joints, etc, etc and this wont be so long to do. I feel that Formica is a bit more affraid now 9.gif14.gif I expect the sub to be half-finished (finished but without the finish on it) on Satursday this week or Sunday next week. Im gonna come back here during one of these days if its really the case.