craig, dean and parrot?

BigBusa

Craig,

For heavens sakes please dont rally against descriptive language as a means to describe our sonic experiences - they are all I have.

The only numbers I can usually include in my posts are Symphony numbers. There was a slew of Haydn numbers last night (he was helpful in providing over 100 symphonies to choose from).

If I were not allowed to try to describe what I experienced through those recordings what would I say? This was 93.74% of prefection? It sounded bloody great to me?

I would be most upset to learn that no-one derives any benefit from my flowery descriptions and near poetic reminiscences of music past. It would make my posting on this forum redundant.

As for Kelly's descriptions of what he hears I find them far more meaningful than any numbers attributable to the specifications of an amp, a pair of speakers or any source device. Does he have a bias towards SET amps? Oh yes - I think so. Is he wrong? No idea.

I do know that I derive much of the joys of listening to music that he does with my push pull amps. It is possible that I would get even more of this out of SET - one never knows till they have tried it.

One thing I am fairly sure about - with little real justification. Whatever benefit I would derive from following Kelly's path and getting into low powered SET I know he would derive as much benefit, if not more, junking his Blue Point and following me into a Shelter 901 (assuming his phono stage can drive it).

And therein is my bias at work. Hopefully over the course of my posts on this forum that bias has come to light - allowing readers to filter my posts, and those of others of literary bent, appropriately.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Max, I think I have written as much on ALL topologies in the last year but find myself defending SET more than simply championing it. In fact, I dont recommend SET amps for first time tube people hardly ever. And I spent many an hour when I first arrived here promoting vintage tube amps, mostly the great deals one can find in a vintage integrated. As for language describing the aspects of music, gear, perceptions, listening etc, I think it has much merit.

Actually, when I arrived here, after getting info on the Cornwalls, I pretty much have pushed tubes and vinyl as I found those two the absolute BEST with Klipsch Heritage.

Honed descriptions of gear can be excellent in conveying to others both the emotional impact as well as the sonic differences. Words can steer someone towards or away, and if well done, can almost give the reader a sense of being there.

Of course, the main part in the process is actually not the text, but the honing in on the differences in order to describe it. And all the while, one must not lose site of the whole experience, the MUSIC, and the system's ability to convey the emotion and impact. Too many audio types LISTEN to the GEAR, and not the whole.

As for Craig, my first recs.... break him in easy...an overdose of HST with a chaser of Hemingway and Salinger

book_rec.jpg

kh

Kelly,

Fair enough - I didnt mean any critism.

I am also very aware that you push certain PP amps (push is not the right word - its a bit strong) but it is your defense of the SET architecture that comes to mind immediately on this forum.

I do wonder if a group on the forum started attacking Ultra-linear designs whether I would leap to their defence as readily as you man the battlements for SET. I might once or twice but after that I would probably let it go. I admire your zeal but sometimes feel you are trying to push water uphill to a bunch of people who are already drinking Coke.

Well, what's memory if not selective, right? I could write 1000 posts on music, turntables, cartridges, listening, system matching, solid state amps, used amps, preamps, tubes etc etc and only be seen as the SET, Rega, and EICO champion. I get more mail on things BESIDES SET amps to be honest. Ironically, I wrote many a post directly to you about tubes and turntables (preamps as well). But SET is a great option since we are dealing with such sensitive speakers. On the other hand, I would push tubes FIRST, no matter what architecture.

kh

Ah yes - I remember it well....

you were dressed in Green....(whoops wrong answer - what was the topic again?)

Hey - you forgot speaker stands, isolation and a whole host of stuff too. And remember you are talking to a guy who forgets to turn his amps off at night, and on the odd ocasion when he remembers he forgets to switch them back on again to listen.

Actually you just reminded me that I have 6 records in the boot of the car I forgot to take out. Thank God its not hot out.

I really appreciate the literary recommendations. I hate to tell you all I am so busy right now there is just no way I have even an hour to read anything maybe later this year. If one of you fine gentlemen would like to come on over and solder while I read I'm game 2.gif the joys of having a booming business!

Max great post and no I have no problem with any words use to describe what someone hears in a piece of music, Amp or Table. I do however have a problem with people that blow the differences out of proportion to point where there putting one topology in a league of its own. Its just not the case. Once youre at a reasonable point of quality in your music system improvements are very small and just splitting hairs in my opinion.

Craig

that's why they call it "frostbiting" kelly! get out there and sail you wimp. I have been out in snow storms! real men sail in any weather, other than "dead calm"...then we kick back on our porches and talk about those 30' waves we faced during the transpac. regards, tony