Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

Another vote for Eric Clapton's "One More Car, One More Driver"

really EXCELLENT!

Very musical and just such a wide range of the Clapton songs over the years. I like it almost as much as the Clapton Crossroads DVD, but I love all of the guest artist on that DVD.

Also recently Netflixed the Santana Supernatural DVD. I'm not ecstatic about the music, and some of the guest artist, but you got to love the visuals in this. It's on my "buy" list, for sure. There is one camera that they attach to the top of the neck of Carlos' guitar and site down the neck.. just a cool visual. Sound quality is also excellent, DD5.1 or DTS. I always choose DTS given the choice.

I also Netflixed Dave Mathews "Listener Supported" . I like jazz, and I like country and I live some "alternative" but I just don't get Dave Mathews. I don't get Thelonious Monk either, so it doesn't mean much that I don't get him. If you like the DMB, the audio and video is excellent.

Just gotta keep this thread going.

Anyone picked up anything good lately?

... Another good one is James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater.

I'll second that as well, excellent recording.

Here are a few of the ones I have;

James Taylor Live at Beacon Theater

Eagles HFO, DTS

Diana Krall

Alison Krauss, music is good, the talking between is recorded low but funny!

Music for Montserrat

Barenaked Ladies

and a bunch more but not really good recordings, bummer about those!

G2

I have to Netflix the JT at the Beacon. Sometimes I do that before I buy, just to check it out.

He gets a little to syrupy for me after a bit. Maybe it depends on the musicians he is with. I was at the Atlanta airport recently and a woman passenger getting on the plane with me was telling me that she had just come back from England and JT was on that plane with her.. and he was flying coach! ... just like me! LOL!! So I guess he isn't rich anymore.

Thanks for the other suggestions too.

I like Diana Krall, and I've Netflixed that DVD too, but it's just a bit mellow for my tastes. I love jazz, but my taste run more to the sax and horn quintets and quartets. I was at Newport Jazz Festival this year and they were taping and recording most of the concert in HDTV and sound, and promised release of the video this fall AFTER PBS special to raise money, so that should be a great jazz DVD when it finally shows up.

I have to Netflix the JT at the Beacon. Sometimes I do that before I buy, just to check it out.

He gets a little to syrupy for me after a bit. Maybe it depends on the musicians he is with. I was at the Atlanta airport recently and a woman passenger getting on the plane with me was telling me that she had just come back from England and JT was on that plane with her.. and he was flying coach! ... just like me! LOL!! So I guess he isn't rich anymore.

Thanks for the other suggestions too.

I like Diana Krall, and I've Netflixed that DVD too, but it's just a bit mellow for my tastes. I love jazz, but my taste run more to the sax and horn quintets and quartets. I was at Newport Jazz Festival this year and they were taping and recording most of the concert in HDTV and sound, and promised release of the video this fall AFTER PBS special to raise money, so that should be a great jazz DVD when it finally shows up.

Hehe that's funny about JT on the plane, the songs are pretty upbeat so for me it wasn't too syrupy, maybe a couple songs.

Diana Krall, yah the whole deal was a bit soft as well, I mainly like the quicker songs, about 4 on the whole thing but the others were done well, but makes you sleepy :) but then again, she's not too hard on the eyes, my wife doesn't seem to care for her at all, not sure why ;)

G2

Gary, if you like Diana Krall (and I do admit she is a "looker") you might like Patricia Barber, who is a jazz vocalist and excellent pianist from the Chicago area (I think).. I got introduced to her this year at the Newport Jazz Festival and she was a big hit with the crowd. Really an excellent musician and composer with a bit of an "edge" to her sound.

I haven't picked up her DVD, only available on her website, but I'd be interested in anyone who has?

You can watch a small clip of it on her site.

dvd.jpg

http://www.patriciabarber.com/discs/fortnight-dvd.htm

If any of you guys like Cream I highly suggest checking out the Royal Albert Hall concert that was just released last week. Great performance, video quality, and sound quality. Just a warning though, it only has a stereo and DTS audio track on it. For you Rush fans they have a new one coming out soon called R30 from their 30th anniversary tour and I believe it will feature their show in Germany. Hopefully the few minor problems from Rush in Rio are fixed with this one. Rock on guys!

My dial up is so slow. I don't want to go through every page to see if this has been mentioned. This is a good one just seen it the other night. "A Tribute To Stevie Ray Vaugne". it has Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Bonnie Rait, Jimmie Vaugne, and others on it. Excellent, worth it just to see Buddy Guy. That guy will smoke any body. Does anyone know if he has anything out? The film wasnt' very long. Plus it puts into perspective how good Stevie really was. You can't go in comparing these guitarist to Stevie when watching. If you do you will be very disapointed, but if you go into it to enjoy a good night of blues. Excellent!

SRV was so talented. Many years ago I went to see a Huey Lewis concert in Dubuque, IA and we had no idea who the opener was. Well, it was the first time I had seen (or heard of!) SRV when he took the stage. We were blown away, and I have been a fan ever since then. I remember quite well driving home from a race I had done well at and stayed over on a Sunday night, down in Kentucky. Got up Monday morning to drive on home, and the radio station we were listening to was playing nothing but SRV cuts. They finally had a break and announced the terrible news about his death.

I'll have to pick that up. There is a good jam near the beginning of Eric Clapton Crossroads guitar festival DVD with Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughn, Heubert Sumlin (sp?) and Robert Cray that really has captures Byddy Gyu's talent. So sad that Stevie Ray isn't there too. The interview Robert Cray and he talks about Buddy Guy and how good he is on stage. Jimmy talks about the fact that they were all together at an EC event the night SRV was killed.

There are so many wonderfully talented artist that died tragic deaths.. and not always from drugs or alcohol. Here SRV was at the point in his life where he was clean and sober and really ready to grow and then a tragic death. Yet again, proof that we only have the day God has given us.

Thanks Steve,

Stupid dial up is too slow/long to view that but I'll keep on the look out for that recording.

G2

Gary, if you like Diana Krall (and I do admit she is a "looker") you might like Patricia Barber, who is a jazz vocalist and excellent pianist from the Chicago area (I think).. I got introduced to her this year at the Newport Jazz Festival and she was a big hit with the crowd. Really an excellent musician and composer with a bit of an "edge" to her sound.

I haven't picked up her DVD, only available on her website, but I'd be interested in anyone who has?

dvd.jpg

Gary, if you like Diana Krall (and I do admit she

is a "looker") you might like Patricia Barber, who is a jazz vocalist

and excellent pianist from the Chicago area (I think).. I got

introduced to her this year at the Newport Jazz Festival and she was a

big hit with the crowd. Really an excellent musician and composer with

a bit of an "edge" to her sound.

Thanks! I like Patricia Barber on CD (Cafe' Blue,

Companion). On that clip, the music is interrupted by her

talking. Is that for real on the DVD as well? I'd prefer a

music concert I can repeatdly watch and listen to to rather than

interviews. What is it like on the whole?

Thanks,

I don't know, I just ordered it off her web site and I'll do a short review of it, when I get it.

I only saw her recently at the Newport Festival and she was a big hit. She is definitely NOT a Diana Krall or Norah Jones. She is more jazz, abstract and street-wise, than the pretty girl singers. IMHO only, and I do have lots of respect for Krall and Jones, for that matter, but just feel they are somewhat too "soft-jazz" for my beebop tastes. A little too KennyG instead of Trane or Byrd, but not so much of a swing. I dunno, maybe I'm all wet, I never claimed to be a good critic, I just know what I like and what feels real.

I don't think I've sen this one mentioned yet and it is really excellent, especially of you like the softer side of blues and pop and a bit of Soul. He has surrounded himself here with extremely strong talent and lots of it. The setting is a beautiful San Francisco theather. Really nice.

Boz Scaggs has some mileage on him, but he is in great tune here and surrounds himself with lots of talent.

check it out.

I Netflixed it then bought it.

g55228icfkw.jpg