Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

BTW: Happy Father's Day all of you other dads out there!

My son and daughter in-law gave me the new Fleetwood Mac DVD 'Live in Boston' for father's day yesterday. It was just released on June 17th. I was excited to see this DVD as it's the band's first concert DVD since 'The Dance' which was released in 1997.

The new DVD contains 3 discs. The first two are DVDs that contain the concert. The third disc is like a bonus music CD. I was able to view most of the first DVD yesterday. I am using a Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DVD player. I immediately noticed artifacts and horizontal lines at times, especially around the brightly-lit faces of the performers. I do not fault my disc player for this as it is the only DVD I own that seems to do this. I looked at the DVD packaging and it claims the tape was originally filmed in HDTV. So, I am wondering if the artifacts are the result of poor compression, or simply poor processing. The DVD is still hightly watchable, but I felt it important to bring up this fact to you all.

As for the performance, my wife and I have always enjoyed Fleetwood Mac ever since we saw them in concert back in the mid-1970's in Reno, Nevada during their 'Rumours' Tour (1977). This performance is marred somewhat by the fact that Christine McVie had decided not to tour with the group any more back in 2001. I feel that, although the band has retained the remainder of its members from the mid-70's era, and dispite the fact that they have been successful in adding some very talented new backing members, the absence of Ms. McVie leaves a noticable hole in the the groups overall sound and presence. Stevie Nicks still sings very well, yet she seems very uninspired in her performance. She does not seem to be relating much to the audience and at one point on the first disc, she paused between two songs to say, "This is the point at which we thank the audience for supporting this group throughout the years". Although kind, it's not the sort of usual excitment that stirs one to want to reach for the Zippo and thrust it into the air while "Woo-hooing!". In all fairness, Nicks has always been somewhat reserved in her performances, as she seems to slip into the gypsy-mode. But she seems stoic in this performance, rarely even smiling.

Lindsey Buckinham is his usual intense self. The man is a perfectionist, as is Mick Fleetwood behind the drum kit. His strange facial expressions have always reminded me of the Jim Henson character "Animal" who also plays the drums wildy and with passion.

I played the DVD in Dolby Digtal 5.1 mode and the sound seems somewhat lacking. For instance, on the song 'The Chain' when John McVie is shown plucking his well-know solo bass notes, only the bottom end seems to come across, while the very important attack on the bass strings is totally lost! Also, there are moments when you see Mick Fleetwood playing the bell portion of his cymbals, yet you hear nothing! I'm lead to believe that either the mix is terrible, or someone did a very poor job of miking the instruments.

I am looking forward to watching the second DVD and listening to the CD. And, despite everything I have mentioned thus far, this is still a wonderful set. It is simply my opinion that this band is known for spectacular performances and thus far it has been just a bit disappointing to me.

mac3.jpg

• 1 year later...

I tried to order this Fleetwood mack DVD from Amazon the other day. I decided to try going used as they had one used ones for $15. Guess what?! They sent me a Fleetwood Mack 1970 Audio CD Volume 3 of FM Live at the Boston Teaparty.

sheesh.. not exactly what I was looking for.

Of course trying to get anything back from Amazon or one of their vendors is not easy.

Anyway, I thought this thread needed a bump.

Cleve: Speaking of Pink Floyd, their 'Pulse' tour concert DVD is due out later this month! I am waited for Amazon to email me when it becomes available so I can order it. I have the double CD album and they played an awesome concert. If the DVD is anywhere near as good, this might be a great one to pick up and check out!

I have the concert on LD, but would love to get on DVD, have you heard any more about a release date? Did not see anything on Amazon.

I tried to order this Fleetwood mack DVD from Amazon the other day. I decided to try going used as they had one used ones for $15. Guess what?! They sent me a Fleetwood Mack 1970 Audio CD Volume 3 of FM Live at the Boston Teaparty.

sheesh.. not exactly what I was looking for...

Granted, not getting what you ordered stinks!

But the bright side is that the worst the original Fleetwood Mac produced is still light years better then ANYTHING the Buckingham&Nicks Fleetwood Mac turned out!

I got hooked on home theatre when I saw the Hell Freezes Over (DTS) disc at a high-end shop a few years ago. It didn't look as good on my 35" Mitsubishi. Now I have a new 61" HDTV and I cannot locate the Eagles disc!

Coldplay is very good. Led Zeppelin one is exceptional. People have mentioned the Bridges to Babylon one by The Stones but I am just so-so in regards to that one.

Here's a suggestion that is a bit more obscure - get Eric Clapton's Robert Johnson DVD. It is fantastic!!!

Granted, not getting what you ordered stinks!

But the bright side is that the worst the original Fleetwood Mac produced is still light years better then ANYTHING the Buckingham&Nicks Fleetwood Mac turned out!

yeah... not a problem.. it is actually a fairly interesting CD. The FM concert was to keep wifey interested.. she get's sick of me crankin up the Clapton Crossroads CD and some of my Two Against Nature discs over and over again.. even though she's made me watch every single Red-Sox game that NESN can pump out!!

But, I love this thread..I'm gonna' buy every thing youse guyz recommneded here!

What else is good!?!

I recently Netflixed John Mayal's 70th b'day.. he still got a pretty good band goin' on. Worth a rent if you like the blues. He's got a great guitar player and some excellent guests, including Clapton.

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers and Friends: 70th Birthday Concert

Even though the bulk of this thread is over a year old, I didnt see the following mentioned.

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature (DTS. Good, intimate setting and nice interview clips sprinkled throughout)

Rush: Rush In Rio (8 minute Peart solo, nuff said!)

A second for The Stones Bridges to Babylon (I was at the concert and its the first DVD I purchased!)

How does the new Eagles Farewell Tour DVD compare to HFO ?

I enjoy them both very much but I like the pseudo acoustic version of Hotel California the best so I'd give the nod to HFO but Farewell 1 also has new music on it and I like the individual contributions too on Farewell 1. One thing that is ever present on both is the Eagles impeccable harmony.

How does the new Eagles Farewell Tour DVD compare to HFO ?

I

enjoy them both very much but I like the pseudo acoustic version

of Hotel California the best so I'd give the nod to HFO but Farewell 1

also has new music on it and I like the individual contributions too on

Farewell 1. One thing that is ever present on both is the

Eagles impeccable harmony.

Thanks. I loved Hotel California on HFO in stereo until I got an

HT receiver. The mix is much better in DTS, but it has some very

annoying tick and pops on that track on DTS which are keeping me from

enjying it. I wonder if there are different versions of the DVD

or something, because many people have never heard them. I've

heard them on 2 copies of the DVD on 4 different receivers now.

psg, that is interesting. I have read the

same thing, but have no problems with my DVD when in the DTS

mode.

Seems like there are either different versions of the disk, or

different DTS decoder chips that handle it differently. I could

quote you a time within the track, but I'm sure you would have noticed

it if you had the flaw.

Just picked up Paul McCartney in Red Square. Very nice DTS soundtrack, PQ is only mediocre. It has the Red Square concert with some documentary content too as it was shown on A&E originally. Also has a concert from St. Petersburg and some extras on the disc. All in all, a worthwhile DVD buy if you like PM.