Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

Anyone care to throw out recommendations for really good concert DVD's?

OK, here's my short list:

Blues Traveler - Live - Thinnest of Air

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Live at the El Mocambo 1983

Joe Satriani - Live in San Francisco

Coldplay - Live 2003

Alice in Chains - Unplugged

U2 - Go Home - Live From Slane Castle

The Who - The Kids Are Alright

I'll have to get that ASAP

new Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live" is wicked good....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My system:

Krell Theater Amplifier Standard

Krell HTS7.1

Denon DVD2900

Samsung 43" DLP

Sony SAT-HD200

Monster Power HTS5100 Signature Line Conditioner >

Monster M-Series Balanced IC's

SignalCable Analog 2 IC's

Signal Cable Shotgun Bi-Wire <

Cobalt Cable Sub cable

Fronts - B&W Nautilus 802 on SoundAnchor stands

Center - B&W Nautilus HTM1

Surrounds - B&W Nautilus 804 on SoundAnchor stands

Sub - RSW-15

Speaking of Peter Gabriel and great concert DVDs...Secret World Live is really good. A few others I might recommend are:

Pat Benetar- Live in New Haven (1983)

Pink Floyd- Pulse (VCD only currently. The video is crappy but the concert is top notch).

Eagles- Hell Freezes Over

Kansas- Device Voice Drum

Diana Krall- Live in Paris

I have quite a few on DVD but it is surprising how many of them (large percentage) are lackluster in Audio, Video, AND performance. Just my opinion...

Dave

My favorite concert DVDs are:

1. Fleetwood Mac The Dance (DD 5.1)

2. The Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon Tour (DD 5.1)

3.The Eagles Hell Freezes Over (DTS 5.1)

There are two versions of Hell Freezes Over; one has the video with the music, the second only has the music with no video.

Bill

One additional comment on Hell Freezes Over: The Eagles have Hotel California out on a DVD-A at 96/24 for 5.1 and 192/24 for stereo. These are all very excellent in sound quality IMO. The DVD-A of Hotel California and HFO allows you to compare some of the same songs on a compressed format (DTS)to a high resolution format without compression (MLP). I use i.link on my Pioneer gear, and DVD-A is a clear winner in sound quality IMO.

Bill

Fleetwood Mac- The Dance

Peter Frampton- Live in detroit

ELO- Zoom

Roy Orbison- Balck and White night / Greatest Hits

Train- Midnight Moon

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- high Grass Dogs

Queen- Greatest Video Hits

Natalie Merchant- Live Concert (New York City)

Roger Waters- In The Flesh-Live

Joe Satriani- Live In San Francisco

Elton John- One Night Only

Eagles- Hell Freezes Over

Peter Gabriel- Secret World Live

These are some of the BEST sounding DVD's of the many I have.

I was VERY disapointed at the sound quality of the new Rush in Rio DVD. The video and performance looked outstanding... too bad the sound was substandard. One of my favorite bands too! ............

Where's those Pink Floyd concert DVD's?????????????

Later

Mike

For sound quality, here are some more not mentioned yet.

LED Zepplin - Excellent DTS soundtack sounds like it was recorded this year, not 1970. Brings back a lot of memories.

King Crimson - Deja Vrooom - Excelent sound and a neat 7 angle recording where you choose your musician and the camera and center speaker stay focused on them only on Vroom Vroom but still very very cool.

Madonna - Drowned World 2001 - Excelent DTS soundtrack and amazing stage show.

JM

LED ZEPPELIN DVD - AWESOME stage footage from the beginning, middle and end of their career!

Be sure to watch Drummer Jon Bonham's solo on the 'Moby Dick' track! Bare-handed drum-kit percussion at its' best!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/4/2003 11:26:56 AM picky-picky wrote:

LED ZEPPELIN DVD
- AWESOME stage footage from the beginning, middle and end of their career!

Be sure to watch Drummer
Jon Bonham's
solo on the
'Moby Dick'
track! Bare-handed drum-kit percussion at its' best!
----------------Great dvd, I was at 2 shows in 1972, man oh man does this thing make my spine tingle, especially the inside concert shots, and being able to watch it is fabulous

9.gif Moby dick drum solo makes my B4-plus sub ROCK the hpouse down!!

Plus the memories of the very BEST concert I was ever at, YEAH!

Add Grateful dead at winterland 1978 new years eve the night winterland closed down, Jerry is in Rare form. The only thing that could have been a bit better is on some songs I like them played faster.

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

Colin,

I can't say ithe sound is better than 2 channel cd's, but it is wonderful and different cause they mostly play in 5.1, so you have to get used to that format. Also with an AVR you can change for dolby digital to thx to DDII to stereo to whatever the prosessor you have allows.3.gif But the real kicker is being able to relive your past and or see concerts you have only WANTED to see, AND you can watch whenever you want, or Just listen if you have other things to do. Visually it is very very cool!2.gif

Smilin

The Led Zeppelin DVD is remarkable for the age of the material on it. Say all you want about Jimmy Page, but he found an engineer who also knows what the Zep live experience was all about and, at the same time, knows what the latest technology is to make an incredible remaster out of 30 year old relics. You can almost smell the illegal substances floating through the air as you watch the concert clips on these 2 DVD's. John Paul Jones never got the credit he deserved for his abilities...keeping up with Page in concert was a remarkable feat in itself!! The multiple "through time" versions of "Communication Breakdown" in the extras section is a hoot too! Hopefully, other classic 60's and 70's performances by other bands can now be dusted off and re-engineered to sound great with today's audio technology.

Another one of my favorites is "The Who...Live From Royal Albert Hall" DD and DTS, recorded in 2000 while Entwhistle was still with us and Zack Starkey had developed into the best possible Who drummer since Keith Moon. You can sure tell he emulates Moon even more than he emulates his father Ringo. Unfortunately, another great Who combination never to be seen again...

PhilH

• Like 1

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/4/2003 2:53:20 PM PhilH wrote:

The Led Zeppelin DVD is remarkable for the age of the material on it. Say all you want about Jimmy Page, but he found an engineer who also knows what the Zep live experience was all about and, at the same time, knows what the latest technology is to make an incredible remaster out of 30 year old relics. You can almost smell the illegal substances floating through the air as you watch the concert clips on these 2 DVD's. John Paul Jones never got the credit he deserved for his abilities...keeping up with Page in concert was a remarkable feat in itself!! The multiple "through time" versions of "Communication Breakdown" in the extras section is a hoot too! Hopefully, other classic 60's and 70's performances by other bands can now be dusted off and re-engineered to sound great with today's audio technology.

Another one of my favorites is "The Who...Live From Royal Albert Hall" DD and DTS, recorded in 2000 while Entwhistle was still with us and Zack Starkey had developed into the best possible Who drummer since Keith Moon. You can sure tell he emulates Moon even more than he emulates his father Ringo. Unfortunately, another great Who combination never to be seen again...

PhilH
----------------

PhilH,

Thanks for the best moderator opinion I have seen on the forum yet, of course in the last 40 day's. I will also go pickup The Who reco you made as it seems you have very good taste!

3.gif Smilin