Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

• 5 months later...

I bought the Dave Mathews Bands Live in Central Park, which I grew to like allot especially when they introduced Warren Haynes. He started off with Cortez the Killer, by Neil Young, amazing guitar player! Someone lent me Govt Mule: The Deepest End and I watched it a few times and it was ok, but I never watched the last half, I finally listened to the Politician by Cream, and the next six songs blew me away! You bass lovers will like Thorazine Shuffle when FOUR bass players are on stage! There are many different guest players in the 2 CD one DVD package and over 6 hours music, including 13 bass players. Also Bela Fleck, Karl Denson, and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band Horns. I went out and bought my own copy of the Deepest End tonight

Ok I have most of the ones mentioned so I will add:

Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Doobie Brothers - Rockin Down the Highway

Simon and Garfunkel - Concert in Central Park

I have many others but that would be a short list of the new ones I have picked up and some old favs that I really like.

Laters,

Jeff

Hi. I just picked up Eric Clapton "One more car, one more rider".

It is live concert footage while on tour in 2001 (in Los Angeles) and is mixed in both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

Excellent concert! Great sound........

Later

Mike ( The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)

I have to second that Peter Gabriel ("Growing Up") disc.

At Best Buy, we have that as the demo disc on a Pioneer HTiB system on a end cap. People come up to me after watching it for 30 seconds and ask for the DVD. It is really good. I will probably buy it when we get more in.

I'll second (third? fourth?) Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" - excellent sound and an interesting show visually. Blue Man Group is OK although I tire of their schtick after awhile.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Santana's "Supernatural Live" yet. Supernatural was not one of my favorite Santana albums, but this is a great DVD. The sound is superb, the kick drum of Rodney Holmes will give your speakers a workout (the guy is an amazing drummer, he does great rock/jazz fusion work with Steve Kimock's band). This DVD is almost impossible to sit still to.

For the more jazz/fusion oriented, two DVDs with Pat Metheny are notable. "Dejohnette, Hancock, Holland, Metheny in Concert" is a real treat - recorded in 1990 it is (surprisingly) in 16X9 format with an excellent PCM track in addition to DD5.1. And last year's Metheny Group tour is doumented nicely on "Speaking of Now Live". A great DTS track and smokin' performances.

Yes I must say the Peter Gabriel "Growing Up Live" is excellent as well as secret world. I think the best one though is Pulse. I happen to have Pink Floyd's Pulse on Laserdisc wich is very rare and it is outstanding. Both video and audio are top notch but only digital stereo. Can't wait for that to come out on DVD in 5.1

----------------

On 5/14/2004 4:34:23 PM SteelerFan wrote:

I love the Saturday Nite Live 25 years of music DVD. There is so much great music on there. We should have a debate sometime on who thinks who gives the best performance. Neil Young's "Rockin' in The Free World" is just smoking!

----------------

Far out and groovy SteelerFan that sounds like something I should go out and break the window of barns and noble and get now...

I agree with most of the discs mentioned in this thread. Would like to second ELO "ZOOM" - a fantastic trip back to 70s. Very professional performance, in many ways I like the way their song sound now compared to the original recordings. They sound a bit more mature. And the hot chick n the stage - oh la la ...:)

Also, I would like to mention a couple DVD-A discs - I know they are not DVD concerts - both are by Queen - A Night at The Opera and The Game. I wish they released the rest of Queen's albums in DVD-A or SACD.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned but the Doobie Bros.(Rockin' down the highway) dvd has really good audio quality and a great set list.Some of the best sound wise, Bad co,Steely Dan,Fogerty,New Animals,Cult,BOC,Frampton,Weird Al,lots more but there are some poor recordings that make Klipsch mad.

I finally got my hands on Pink Floyd's Pulse DVD concert. You have to buy this from overseas and it is somewhat expensive but worth it. If anyone is interested in the VCD version of this, I can let mine go since I have the DVD. This is simply one of the best rock performances on DVD I have ever seen, if not the best...