New Toy - Snow Related

garymd

My wife was tired of watching me break my back shoveling snow so a few days ago she convinced my to buy a snowblower.

I wouldn't go for the expensive gas powered models mostly because I have nowhere to keep it so I bought the cheap electric toro snowthrower even with people telling me not to bother because they suck.

I woke this morning to 8 inches of wet snow and took the toro out for a test run. It worked like a charm. What would have taken me 2 hours of back breaking shoveling took 20 minutes. I can use it up to about 10 inches so if we get a big storm I just have to keep up with it and do a few rounds.

I told my wife it would be a waste of money and she's been gloating all day because she insisted it would work fine.

Toro model 1800 snowthrower. Good buy at $288 (Home Depot).1.gif

Guest Anonymous

Gary,

Good for you, stops the back pain huh?

Btw where do you live, I'm in chicago and all were getting so far is COLD rain2.gif But I'm sure snow is on the way!

Smilin

----------------

On 12/5/2003 2:24:05 PM smilin wrote:

Gary,

Btw where do you live, I'm in chicago and all were getting so far is COLD rain
2.gif
But I'm sure snow is on the way!

Smilin

----------------

Smilin,

I'm in MD (Baltimore area). We've been getting hit hard and often since last year and after 3 back surgeries, I just can't shovel the stuff anymore. I was shocked at how well this thing worked. If we get 2 feet I'm screwed though.

Guest Anonymous

Gary,

Didn't I read in another thread that you have older kids, what is allowance for?2.gif

BTW hope the back feel's ok with the changing seasons, I have arthritis in my hand and both knees and it's killing me!

Hears to it never snowing mor than 8" at 1 time!

Smilin

I here baltimore is beautiful for christmas and the holidy's, enjoy, but in january make sure you go someplace WARM and chill out the sore back.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 2:50:07 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 12/5/2003 2:24:05 PM smilin wrote:

Gary,

Btw where do you live, I'm in chicago and all were getting so far is COLD rain
2.gif
But I'm sure snow is on the way!

Smilin

----------------

Smilin,

I'm in MD (Baltimore area). We've been getting hit hard and often since last year and after 3 back surgeries, I just can't shovel the stuff anymore. I was shocked at how well this thing worked. If we get 2 feet I'm screwed though.

----------------OOPS MISTAKE

Thanks Gary, I'll have to check that out. I have a smaller gas powered Toro snow thrower but man those 2-cycle engine fumes gag me. The drum has like tire sidewall type material screwed to it that slings the snow. I only worry about getting tangled up in a frozen rigid power cord when I am snowblowing in sub zero weather. It is effective to about 6" or so after that I have to do it in layers. Uh oh, that reminds me I better take the thing out of the cellar and make sure that it starts before we get a significant dumping then I will be in trouble. Tis the season for freezin for sure. Getting real frosty up here now, just a little snow though maybe an inch.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 2:25:36 PM m00n wrote:

We never get snow
15.gif
. Well, it's rare when we do and if and when we do it's usually no more than an inch. I would gladly shovel the stuff.

----------------

M00n,check your mail. You should find a one way plane ticket for Jabip, Pennsylvania.It's right below Toucheeandafeely Lake where the famous Wheredafukawee Tribe has always spent their winters. he he he he "Dig we must because the weatherman we don't trust"2.gif

----------------

On 12/5/2003 3:49:41 PM mkl wrote:

Gary-

You guys got snow? I'm about an hour and a half from Baltimore, no snow at all here!

-mkl

----------------

8 inches last night and 10 more expected tonight! The manual says it will work up to 10 inches.

Charles,

You're right about the power cord. It's the only downside. The blade is hard plastic so I think even if run over it would survive. The chute got jammed a couple times in the deeper stuff but clears out very easily. I know amazon had them for the same price. If HD is out, you may want to give them a try.

Smilin,

My wife has RA and she's going through hell with the weather. My back's OK as long as I don't do anything stupid like shovel snow for 2 hours.14.gif Hopefully we won't get more then what's forecasted tonight.

BTW - My son's away at college or he'd be doing it for me. My daughter helped this morning only because she wanted me to drive her to a friend's house. Anyway, it was sort of fun using the new toy.3.gif

----------------

On 12/5/2003 5:12:27 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Gary,

Hope you don't loose your power again with this storm. You'll be back to the old shovel. I fired my snow blower up today as they are predicting 12" here.

Rick

----------------

Rick,

That's what the generator's for.2.gif Good luck with your storm. Where do you live?

Edit: Rhode Island I see. Probably the same storm.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 5:11:02 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 12/5/2003 3:49:41 PM mkl wrote:

Gary-

You guys got snow? I'm about an hour and a half from Baltimore, no snow at all here!

-mkl

----------------

8 inches last night and 10 more expected tonight! The manual says it will work up to 10 inches.

----------------

It snowed a bit last night here in Fredericksburg, but then it all turned to rain, yuck. Rather of had the snow. Now, the drive up to Massanutten may be interesting tonight, though. At least the ski area is now opened!

Gary,

my Khorns double as a snowblower. Van Halen at fourty watts scares snow away at up to 100 feet. It is hard on the back though, carrying those dam speakers up and down the stairs9.gif

I have been trying to find a blade to throw on our 25 horse Craftsman mower, but the only luck I've had so far is at Sears.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 11:28:22 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Gary,

my Khorns double as a snowblower. Van Halen at fourty watts scares snow away at up to 100 feet. It is hard on the back though, carrying those dam speakers up and down the stairs
9.gif

I have been trying to find a blade to throw on our 25 horse Craftsman mower, but the only luck I've had so far is at Sears.

----------------

I had a blade for my old simplicity tractor but it was pretty hard on the asphalt if I wasn't careful. I now have a craftsman tractor which is a POS compared to the simplicity but I didn't feel like dealing with the plow attachment. I already have a triple bagger attachment to store which is only used in the fall.

Yours were the only tubes I actually got out this week. I hope they arrive at YOUR house safely. Should be tomorow.

yeah baby, i purchased a Ariens 1024 10 horse power engine 24 inch mouth. throws snow running at full throttle 5th gear with the chute maxed nearly 25 feet. Very important during the first few snows. But most importantly is throws it 10-15 up which really important when you get the second and third foot on the ground. Last year the snow banks on our driveway were almost 7 feet high.

Tomorrow I will be dancing with my little lady Ari.

The damn thing is huge and it takes up a good portion of my side of the garage. She whips me around like a flag in a hurricane. Definitely not recommended for people that have had back or neck surgery. After a day of dancing with her I am usually very very sore. and not having much of a disk between C6-C7 the pain is rather discomforting. To cure that I try to find a good game of hockey. After a hour or two on the ice the rest of the body hurts so much I completely forget about the neck.

I gotta get me a gas powered one! What about dragging a live extension cord through the wet snow?

I bought a corded lawn mower last spring. It was great the first couple of times then I got really sick of dealing with the cord. I bought a rechargeable mower next. I love that one ...no cords and it's really quiet.

• 2 weeks later...