A Question for Dean

Vital

After the audition of the Khorn and tubes, are you thinking of getting rid of your RF-7s? How much better does the Khorn sound? Did you guys listen to any hip-hop or r&b music that has bass? I would think the RF-7 prevails with this type of music but I could be wrong. Tell us your thoughts since you are an RF-7 owner. Will you be switching to heritage? I have never heard any of the heritage speakers so I am very curious.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul 'Parrots' Klipschorns, outfitted with the ALKS -- was one of the best sounds I have ever heard. Driving those beauties with some decent tube gear brought out a sound that was quite unforgettable. The RF-7 is a sweet sounding speaker, and I still love mine dearly -- but they can't compete with the Klipschorn in producing the proper scale of complex works, or the dynamic impact -- especially the bass. Horn loaded bass is phenomenal. I suppose a properly biamped set of RF-7s, pushed back into corners might pull things closer -- but man, I just don't know.

I was in the listening room for less than 10 minutes with the Klipschorns, and was very comfortable with the idea of accepting the Klipschorn as an "upgrade" from the RF-7. It's certainly "different", but in a very pleasing way. It would really be cool to be able to afford to have both. As a side, I didn't feel or think these things after hearing and living with Cornwalls.

Still, the thing that surprised me the most was how smooth the squawker sounded -- even with my brutal music. I actually heard more in common with the RF-7 than apart from it. Not a "sameness" in the signature, but a characteristic smoothness in the midband that begs continued listening.

The RF-7s go to my son at the end of the month, a deal struck many months ago. Right now, I'm in a holding pattern while I think some things through.

I remember pleading the Khorn option with you about 15 months ago. Seems your downstairs is suitable for this. You should have done it long ago. I would have them if I had a better room for it, if only to hear them on my low watt options. My room is so much smaller than Parrot's main. Then again, hardly anyone I know has THAT MUCH air to move counting the HUGE loft space. I personally believe ANY of the low watt solutions would NOT cut it with large scale works in Parrot's room, this including low watt PP. It would be doable, but not to scale. You would have some positives, but the sense of room filling slam, impact, and majesty would not be a strong suit.

AGain, I found drawing across the board amplifier conclusions from that listening space problematic. But we do what we do.

I spent all last night listening to my box of newly acquired college radion station LPs I got for pennies on the dollar. Let me tell you, room size, shape, layout, and furnishings make a HUGE HUGE impact on the final decision of amplifier.

If I listened to large scale symphonic works exclusively and valued the full scale POWER and majesty aspect above all else, I would chose much higher wattage gear if in a room with that much area.

kh

Kelly,

I mentioned Heritage many many times to old Deano with the same old response "ear bleeding squawker" so don't feel alone in this! He ate some serious humble pie last weekend2.gif I was nice and never rubbed it in till now (If you can believe I was actually nice)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Yep. I have to admit, the Klipsch Heritage needs good gear in front, from beginning to end to make the final nut. Of course, we all have different theories as to what is defined by "good gear" which is what makes the rub interesting or problematic depending on viewpoint.

The Klipsch Heritage's MAIN weaknesses are three-fold in my view. One, it needs attention to what is put before it. The more honed your ears, the more attention needs to be placed here. Two, they are VERY inflexible with placement, especially the ultimate Klipschorns. Finally, and this is perhaps the most troubling in some ways is that the Klipsch horns are just not very kind to poor recordings or many rock recordings that are done with heavy handed EQ as per the most common engineer practices.

I think one must be aware of all three of the above when dealing with Klipsch Heritage of any sort. To some, it's too much of a sacrifice. To others, it's the only way. I have regular dynamic 2-way monitors on high quality stands, top notch 2-way floor standers (ProAc), and Heritage horns here. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I admit, once you DO taste the speed and dynamics of the horn option properly done, it is hard to go without.

kh

I couldn't afford Klipschorns 15 months ago, and besides that, still only had the memory of the screeching shrillness from previous exposures to go on. I still think Al's crossovers should be given as much credit as the tubes.

We didn't make "sweeping" statements regarding the power issue. My first post did, but my intent was just to raise your blood pressure a lttile. I figured you'd come back with a blistering post to me -- and then I was going to show you the room. It was just meant in fun. At any rate, I think we all agreed that power requirements should be thought out based on the criteria we all fully discussed. Like I said before, there really wasn't any disagreement here.

We played several of my CD's, and they all sounded outstanding. I'm not concerned about "recording" issues.

How about that Judas Priest Craig?

Dean,

Priest is still not my cup of tea! But can still sound very good for what it is on the right setup and reasonable volumes! We never hit the SLP I am capable of without any immediate sense of strain. The room was to large for even the Mark III's to get the true dynamic impact of the music that can be achieved at my home. That being said the Lascalas are not able to deliver the room surrounding Bass of the Khorns! There 2 different animals in this respect for sure.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

How about that Days of the New

Craig

Deans comment about 10 minutes with the Klipschorn was all it took is a good way to discribe it. It would have taken only a couple of minutes if he was able to A/B the Klipschorn with the RF7.

The Klipschorn will make you think that you died and gone to heaven. You will never believe that the Klipschorn can also sound so much better then it does untill you change out the top drivers and horns to some higher quality stuff. Only then will you change what your now saying about the midrange and squawker.

----------------

On 12/6/2003 1:08:32 PM DeanG wrote:

Yeah, "Days of New" is on my list of must haves.

Yeesh man, I thought Halford's voice was going to shatter the windows.
Plenty
loud enough for me.
----------------

You can really be girlee some times my friend

Kelly,

Yeah, you're probably correct.

When I was searching for mine I looked at several examples from the late 60s to my 1994 models.I would say as long as they're in nice shape and within driving distance you can't go wrong.

I personally wanted a pair with the AK-3s and the resin lenses.

Jeff

Barring a major financial setback, I will be putting my order in for a new pair on Jan 3rd. Things sometimes come up on my end that prevent me from being able to do what I want to do, so I'm trying not to get too pumped -- but God willing, it'll work out.