Another member posted this in General:

thought that I would post this bit of news:

SIMPLY STEREO

1280 WEST HIGGINS ROAD

HOFFMAN ESTATES, IL 60195

PHONE: 847-882-2885

has new K-Horns (thats right, more than one pair) in stock

---------------------------------------------------

Might be worth the hike if you don't want to give yourself time to change your mind. Then again, why NOT used? Seems much safer to me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't share EVERY aspect of my finances or personal life on this or any other forum. Frankly, and with all due respect -- I'm not accountable to you or anyone else here, and what I do or don't do is between Debbie and myself.

I also don't owe you or anyone else an explanation of why I do what I do. In the past I have tried, but have decided you are either to obtuse to understand, or simply just choose to refuse the explanations -- and then move forward with diatribe.

I have several good reasons for doing it this way, are you interested in hearing them?

Someone is a bit sensitive today. Oh well. We all have our own reasons for doing things. The price for new Klipschorns seems exhorbitant to me and a premium for unlikely improvement in many areas considering the state of Klipsch. But that's conjecture. It seems slightly on this side of insane to pay seven times the cost. I wouldnt by a new commercial tube amp either...

kh

Well yeah, I definitely read exasperation in that initial response, and that the decision was somehow tied to lunacy. No, I don't handle that kind of thing well anymore.

It would probably be a mistake to short change the sound of the new Klipschorn. I don't know what you mean by "the state of Klipsch", because I think the Reference speakers represent outstanding value.

Look at Jeff, he figured the first part out right away. Yes, I want the Mahogany. Most of the house is currently finished in Cherry and Mahogany woods. We are getting ready to start restoring the house, and all of the floors are Cherry hardwood, as well as the baseboards.

Any set of Klipschorns that I would consider owning would have to be mint or near mint condition. My speakers have ALWAYS been near perfect -- this is just the way I am. If I could find a pair that satisfied me, I would still be left with the finish issue.

For the sake or argument, let's say I go after a used pair of any type finish, as long as they were very nice -- I would be looking at $2500 - $3500.

Then:

I would probably have to deal with eBay -- and I wouldn't for an item like this.

I might see a pair up on Audiogon, which would be great -- but they are almost always more than 2000 miles away. I'm really not interested in shipping something like this, something almost perfect, that I would of course be trying to get back to me in that condition -- without proper crating. I received quotes for this -- and it ain't cheap. $800 to $1200 if you don't want to worry about having a chunk of veneer/plywood whacked off. I'm not into the blanket and skid thing. Driving for pick-up is near as bad -- by the time I add up rental fees, gas, and lost time in leave from work. My leave time is like gold -- since I work 7 days/ 64 hours a week.

There was also this goofy thing going on inside me ever since the Jubilee threads started up: My desire to somehow contribute to the survival of Heritage.

Finally, there is the cost, which if revealed would result in the lopping off of my head. I'll just say it was done as a favor to me, and was an offer only a complete idiot would walk away from. A once in a lifetime chance.

This is probably my last set of "big" speakers. I will set them up and just listen to music. I'm tired of the "listening chair" bullsh!t. The Klipschorn transcends all of that. The Klipschorn represents true listening freedom.

----------------

On 12/6/2003 4:15:10 PM DeanG wrote:

Finally, there is the cost, which if revealed would result in the lopping off of my head. I'll just say it was done as a favor to me, and was an offer only a complete idiot would walk away from. A once in a lifetime chance.

----------------

Reading betwixt the lines, that makes more sense!!

Jbryan and I have exchanged a few emails on my potential Khorn purchase. He made the very wise point that the BEST deals are in the local papers. I have been looking since, this in a 150 mile radius. His friend found some GREAT vintage Khorns within 75 miles of my place for less than $600. I have seen them crop up as well but didnt look enough. NOW I am. With the internet, little local classifieds are online. To me, this represents a fine option to sinking a TON of ducats into a NEW Khorn purchase.

Some VERY nice ones went for $1300 in Miss two weeks ago on ebay as well. What the hell are new ones going for now anyway? LAst time I heard, they were insane.

kh

ps - what is the normal cost these days?

Retail is $7500 -- but I don't think anyone pays that.

The papers here are worthless, I rarely if ever see ANY stereo gear. I think people around here hang on to their Klipschorns the way they hang on to their handguns.9.gif

Maybe we can collaborate on false corners. I'm filling mine with steel shot. Well, O.K., maybe not.:)

Brand new ones will have the AK-4 networks, right? They should be good. I like the idea of new Klipschorns. Dean, if it wouldn't be prying too much, could you post your most recent pay stub and bank statement, and we'll determine if you can afford the purchase.

Q-Man, sometime I'd love to hear your modded Klipschorns. Like you died and went to heaven--well said.

----------------

It would probably be a mistake to short change the sound of the new Klipschorn....

This is probably my last set of "big" speakers. I will set them up and just listen to music. I'm tired of the "listening chair". The Klipschorn transcends all of that. The Klipschorn represents true listening freedom.

----------------

FWIW, I replaced 1980's vintage drivers & crossover with the AK-4, and thought it a considerable improvement (1970s' and earlier may be as good, of course). Although Klipsch doesn't market Heritage, it undertook a considerable commitment two or so years ago to source TWO new drives AND redesign a new network that seems to get good marks. Also, AK-4 kits cost over $1,800 per pair, which one could factor into the cost of new.

Also FWIW, I myself have not felt the need to be attentive to a sweet spot. Friends have been able to enjoy music from a variety of places in my living room, although the end away from the speakers is probably preferable.

Dean,

The Klipschorns are worth every penny, and you can't beat that new car smell. I used to think that they were expensive untill I started building different bass horns. With all the time, experimenting, parts cost, etc.,etc. I couldn't sell them for less and make it worth my while.

Someone said get the lacquer finish,I disagree. The lacquer finish is nice, as a matter of fact I finish most of my stuff in lacquer. But, if Klipsch still offers them with an oiled finish I would get them that way. The reason is scratches. Once you scratch lacquer or any other hard finish that's it. You need to know what your doing and have special spray equipment to repair the finish. Any dunmby can repair an oiled finish.

One of my Klipschorn pairs has a Lacquer finish and I keep telling myself that I'm going to refinish them, but I don't. And I have the equipment and work area to do it. My other pair is oiled walnut and I can touch them up in no time at all.

----------------

On 12/6/2003 5:01:53 PM larryclare wrote:

----------------

It would probably be a mistake to short change the sound of the new Klipschorn....

This is probably my last set of "big" speakers. I will set them up and just listen to music. I'm tired of the "listening chair". The Klipschorn transcends all of that. The Klipschorn represents true listening freedom.

----------------

FWIW, I replaced 1980's vintage drivers & crossover with the AK-4, and thought it a considerable improvement (1970s' and earlier may be as good, of course). Although Klipsch doesn't market Heritage, it undertook a considerable commitment two or so years ago to source TWO new drives AND redesign a new network that seems to get good marks. Also, AK-4 kits cost over $1,800 per pair, which one could factor into the cost of new.

Also FWIW, I myself have not felt the need to be attentive to a sweet spot. Friends have been able to enjoy music from a variety of places in my living room, although the end away from the speakers is probably preferable.

----------------

I have heard Larry's khorns many times over the past few months. In his room there is no need for a sweet spot. With my cornwalls and altecs, it is a critical factor. In Larry's, the entire room seems to be one giant sweet spot. The detail of the instruments is phenominal. The bass in my systems are deeper but I don't get anywhere near the definition and instrumental distinction and clarity that Larry has.

I also auditioned Tom Longo's 2003 k-horns in oak (don't remember if they were laquered or not). They were beautiful. I do prefer Larry's '62 mohogany finish however.

Good luck with your purchase. We're all very happy for you (and more than a little jealous). We expect many pictures and lenghthy reviews.1.gif