I need some spending money!

BigBusa

The Scott 340b is on the block. Normally I do not list my ebay items here but this is something that you guys would be into and our very own craig did the work to it. NOSValves did a beautiful job restoring it. It sounds absolutely fantastic powering the khorns but lacks the bass punch that I'm used to from the big wattage SS amps.

I didn't offer it here 1st because I don't know what to ask for it. I put it up with no reserve so the bidders can decide what it's worth. I'm not looking to get rich by selling it. It would be great to make my original investment back but who knows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3064216286

8.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig you told me from the beginning that the bass slam I'm used to with the big SS amps wouldn't be there and I'd probably not be satisfied. But that's ok ...With the price you charged me and the cost of the 340B I was pretty sure I could at least get my money back out of it. I had fun trying it with the khorns. I still listen to it everyday and like it a lot but ...I need more SLAM!

I figure you and I saved this 340B from certain death. Who else would/could have brought it back from flatline?!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/7/2003 4:58:16 PM BigBusa wrote:

The Scott 340b is on the block. Normally I do not list my ebay items here but this is something that you guys would be into and our very own craig did the work to it. NOSValves did a beautiful job restoring it. It sounds absolutely fantastic powering the khorns but lacks the bass punch that I'm used to from the big wattage SS amps.

I didn't offer it here 1st because I don't know what to ask for it. I put it up with no reserve so the bidders can decide what it's worth. I'm not looking to get rich by selling it. It would be great to make my original investment back but who knows.

"<a
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/119249/8.jpg" border="0">

----------------

Hey busa, what else ya selling, i gots a few $$$ if ya gots the right deals11.gif

Smilin2.gif

----------------

On 12/7/2003 4:58:16 PM BigBusa wrote:

"<a
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/119249/8.jpg" border="0">

----------------

Hey Busa,

What kind of big wattage SS amps do you recommend that you've personally used?

BB,

Someone else on this forum asked me about my amp being shipped to the US. As you like slam I think these could be the ticket for you, especially kited out with KT88's (100 wpc).

I wrote to Tsakiridis to ask for pricing and he replied thus (translations from me):

"Agapite Max,

(Dear Max,)

Se eyxarsto gia ta kala soy logia. To site tha to ftiajoume mesa sto mina. Oso afora to kostos apostolis powerhouse stin USA exoume.

(Thank you for the kind words. The site will be updated during this month. As regards the sales cost for the Powerhouse in the USA we have:)

Powerhouse (2 x 70 Watt) 906 Euros

Powerhouse (2 x 100 Watt) 1116 Euros

(Powerhouse (2 x 70 Watt) $1,103.51

Powerhouse (2 x 100 Watt) $1,359.28 (@ 1.218 S/Euro)

(Stis parapano times den yparxei VAT)

(these prices do not include VAT - @ 18% - not applicable to sales outside the EU))

Kostos apostolis 200 Euros.

(Shipping cost $243.60)

Perimeno nea soy.

(Awaiting news from you)

Kali bdomada

(Good week - Greek greeting at the start of each week)

Odysseus

---- Original Message ----

To: support@tsakiridis-devices.com,

Subject: RE: The new products from the high end show

Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:26:12 +0200

>Please get pictures and descriptions of the new products on the site

>as

>soon as possible. Interested parties on the Klipsch site want to

>know.

>

>Also - can you give me some idea of what it would cost to ship a

>Powerhouse to the US (plus or minus $20 is fine). One of the guys on

>the site is interested for after Christmas.

>

>Thanks

>

>

>Max Goodman (owner of Powerhouse - ex owner of Artemis and Alexander)

>

>

Tsakiridis Devices

12 Aristomenous Str. - T.K. 10440 - Athens

Tel: +30 210 8253132 / Fax: +30 210 8256014

Mobile: +30 694 4702908

http://www.tsakiridis-devices.com e-mail:admin@tsakiridis-devices.com "

I would suggest that if you are interested it is probably better to get the amps without tubes altogether and to buy the tubes separately in the US as they are sure to be cheaper. From my limited experience the Tesla JJ KT88's work very well in Tsakiridis amps.

Obviously the prices would fall a fair bit for the amps in the tubeless state.

For reference it seems that the price for the amps with shipping to the US works out as almost exactly the cost here (due to the fact you dont have to pay our sales taxes).

The only remaining caveat would be to check out what, if any, import taxes might be levied on the units arriving in the US.

I should add - for the record - that there is no relationship between me and Tsakiridis other than my being a customer. My sole driving force here is that I would love at least one of you guys in the US to get to hear these things as I reckon they are a fabulous deal sonics for $$$ wise.

cheers

The SM 70 is not being made anymore but the SM 70 Pro is. I just bought 2 SM 70 Pros running as monoblocks with 80 watts. They sound fantastic! Right now I'm running KLF 20s with them but put in an order for some new La Scalas.

Two years ago I bought a single SM 70 and used it in stereo at 25 watts and the 20's sounded great. The only problem I had with the 70 was the hiss was somewhat loud. I was told to add a 2 prong adapter for the power cord to stop the hiss. It stoped about 85% of the hiss so that worked for me.

Now that I have the 70 pros I had the same hiss problem but adding the 2 prong adapter did not work. Where I sit on my couch is about 9-10 feet from the speakers and with the volume down I can hear the hiss. Not extremly loud but it is loud enough to hear on the couch. I'm worried that KLF 20s are 99db and I can hear the hiss so La Scalas at 104db may be unbearable hiss.

I'm contacting Monarchy Audio to see if they can offer any other solutions and if any one on the forums know of anything that could help I would be in your debt. I don't want to send the amps back because I love their sound! I have never heard LS through tubes before but sooner or later I will go that route. The sound of the 70 pros for SS amps are very detailed and though not as warm or rich sounding as tubes are suppose to be they sound very good for SS.

Well take care and enjoy the music!

----------------

On 12/8/2003 7:06:09 AM fini wrote:

Max,

Should we really be trusting a chap named Odysseus? I guess it could be OK, as long as the amp doesn't arrive as a gift...

----------------

Yeah - you can trust him - but shipping may take a while. It took him 10 years to ship from Troy to Greece last time I heard....

pirana, I've tried a few different amps with the khorns. Dynaco st400's running in 600w mono, a single dynaco st400 in 200wpc mode and my favorite so far ...hafler dh500.

Ryan thanks for bidding!

jct I was contemplating a pair of those. Everything I've read about them was positive.

Max, The genesis stealth is in the shop now and should be done in a few weeks. That'll be the next amp that gets connected to the khorns I think. I want to try that before I purchase anything else. 1.jpg

If the Genesis B-200 Stealth isn't to your liking I have three amps you may want to try. A NAD 208 THX MOSFET Power Amplifier with +4db of headroom and 250W per channel, then a DBX BX-2 2/3/4 Channel Configurable Power Amplifier 250W per channel, and lastly a DBX BX-3MkII 2/3/4 Channel Configurable Amplifier rated at 400W per channel. I have run these with my Khorns and have never heard any woofer clacking that you speak of even in the rare opportunity that I get to turn it up. I have like five nice powerful and clean sounding SS amps and I am only using two of them right now.

frzn thanks! Those amps you speak of sound like winners. Especially the BIG dbx! Gotta love those bigs hulking amps 6.gif I like the idea of the 2/3/4 channel configurable channels. That would be good for home theater too.

I finally found the schematics for my genesis stealth. What a search that was! I contacted the designer (paul mcgowan) who told me there wasn't any real schematics published for the amp but there were some hand drawn ones out there somewhere.

Cullen electronics had them and sent them to me last week. I'm sending the girl a nice bottle of wine for helping me. The hand drawn ones are pretty cool!9.gif