I need some spending money!

BigBusa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if I ever decide to go back to SS this is the amp I would like. Van Alstine Omegastar, or if I was rich, their Fet Valve hybrid amp. The Van Alstine's use FET output devices for tubelike musicallity and SS speed and punch. The Omegastar series goes up to 220WPC and the FET Valvesgo up to 250WPC. If they ever change the design they offer reasonably priced upgrades for their customers.

omegastar_hts.jpg

Rick

post-12829-13819250614098_thumb.jpg

After working with the stereo I realized that my 1991 Luxman receiver I'm using temporary as a preamp was causing 60-70% of the hiss. When I turn down the treble on the Luxman the hiss also goes down. When I turn on the amps without the receiver there is a slight hiss. But when I turn on the receiver the hiss becomes much louder!

I'm waiting on a preamp so I can take out the receiver and put it in my bedroom. I'm going to try a few other things.

Regarding the Sakura/ 47 Labs Gaincard, I would think you would ultimately be disappointed in the top end and that midrange harmonic purity without any of the SS artifacts. Clarity you would get. I just am mot convinced on the other issues based on conversations I have had. I was interested as well but have grown more luke warm on the option. Let us know what you think if you hear it. I imagine longer exposure might be more telling here as well. You know how that goes...

kh

Guy,

BB,

I just have to ask this: Is the high bidder in the auction ( BigBear ) related to you in some way?

I do suspect that the similarity in the name is somewhat strange. It could be just me though <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />.

I swear what is your problem with people that happen to frequent this forum and also make there living in a related business? Youre constant bashing or off handed cynical remarks of anyone that happens to make a living with audio in any way is just getting old ! If you don't have anything positive to add then just say nothing at all. Bigbear has been bidding on Scott gear on eBay for at least 2 years !

Craig,

I have found the similarity amusing. I also don't remember anyone appointing you as BB's attorny.

I don't recall addressing it to you but if you're already here I'll say something to you too.

I thought that you've got about a zillion amps to work on and have got much more work than you expected. I guess that you can't get rid of that ole habbit of praying to all of these newbies, who don't really know who you really are.

guy you're just pissed because you opened your big fat pie-hole about my selling gear on ebay a while back and I put you on my blocked bidder list.

You said yourself you'd like to bid on my 340b.

I don't know any of the bidders and no, none of them are me. I have one ebay name and it's vintagestereo. I do have enough friends that if I wanted to shill bid I could. I just don't do that and shy away from sellers who obviously do.

Wait until you see the stuff I have coming up! 6.gif