Recommendations for DVD/SACD player

Piranha

Guest Anonymous

Tom,

I was at tweeter yesterday and was tlking to my buddy when I decided to play with a pioneer elite they had thier, what caught my attention was it had the borr/brown 24/192 in it and was only 300.00 I am not shure what the model is but if you want I will check it out for you2.gif

Smilin

Universal players do not play SACD as well as SACD only players from Sony. Howevewr, some players do get close. My recommendation for a Universal player in that price range is the Pioneer DV-47Ai. It has the chroma upsample error, but it is nearly impossible to see at normal playback speeds.

The i.link is a way to transfer a bitstream to the receiver for decoding on both DVD-A and SACD. Pioneer is leading the way with this technology; others will follow shortly.

Bill

----------------

On 12/12/2003 8:25:19 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Universal players do not play SACD as well as SACD only players from Sony. Howevewr, some players do get close. My recommendation for a Universal player in that price range is the Pioneer DV-47Ai. It has the chroma upsample error, but it is nearly impossible to see at normal playback speeds.

The i.link is a way to transfer a bitstream to the receiver for decoding on both DVD-A and SACD. Pioneer is leading the way with this technology; others will follow shortly.

Bill----------------

Yes, this is one that has peaked my interest for a couple weeks. I understand a newer model is coming out soon?

Anyone else have any comments on this player?

Thanks,

Hello every body,

Few words about the "DENON DVD 2200" from a frenchy guy.

I just buy the "Denon 2200" one month ago. It's my first DVD player, and the sound is so good that the next day i put my CD player "Rega planet 2000" on Ebay...With my "Cornwalls I", the sound is more full body and coherent that you feel like the music is in your room.

When i bought it, i just hope it would be as good as my "Rega", but no, it was better... this player surprise me

Compare to my "Rega planet 2000" the sound is more:

3D imaging

Full (in the high, medium and low)

pure

coherent

What i don't like:

The highs seem to cut off a little bit, but i don't care because it sound so right for me...

I can't say a lot about the "PQ" because i can't use the "RVB and Componement" out, just Svideo, but what i can say is that on my TV Philips 32" the picture is very pure, colours are rich, with a lot of details, but not exagerated and that's why people say the picture of the "Denon's" are film like...

In one word: it's one of my very best purchase...

Regards,

Fred,

My systeme:

Denon DVD 2200

Denon PMA 2000 (an integrated SS amp that completly compete with my Eico HF-81?!)

H/K 430 receiver (for 90, it's an extraordinary integrated/tuner!)

LP Rega planar 3 with a Denon DL-103(not completely happy for what i expected from vinyl...is it my cartbridge or my phono input in the Denon PMA 2000 that is wrong? i don't know...)

• Like 1

i have the sony dvpnc685v progr.scan dvd/sacd/cd/cdr/cdrw/svcd/vcd/mp3 changer. it has improved bass management over my previous dvpnc650v, and progressive scan. i find it does a good job w/ all the discs i play in it, and can be had for around $239.

the i-link sacd players require the receiver to have an i-link in, sony es receivers have this(not sure what models include this).

avman.

Marksdad-

That is a HUGE statement there and flies in the face of what most people say about Sony SACD players. From what I have read, alot of users feel that Sony players tend to get the most out of the SACD format. Now, I haven't been able to compare any of the Sony and Denon players on the same equipment, so could you please explain why you made this statement? Enquiring minds want to know....

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/18/2003 12:33:48 PM avman wrote:

i have the sony dvpnc685v progr.scan dvd/sacd/cd/cdr/cdrw/svcd/vcd/mp3 changer. it has improved bass management over my previous dvpnc650v, and progressive scan. i find it does a good job w/ all the discs i play in it, and can be had for around $239.

the i-link sacd players require the receiver to have an i-link in, sony es receivers have this(not sure what models include this).

avman.
----------------

Don't you need an preamp or receiver that has 5.1 analog inputs to play SACD's on this?

Thanks,

well you might remember a few months ago i auditioned a few dvd sacd players in house, this after first auditioning alot more in store, and the sonys did not sound good enough to bring home when compared to the yammi's denon's and pioneers, i cant get past sonys artificial sound? sony components just sound like big boom boxes, i used to have a few components, and sold it all piece by piece as i became aware of better sound12.gif

Marksdad - I see you have the Denon 2900, which I have been looking at myself. I've narrowed it down to that unit, the Pioneer Elite DV-47AI, and the Rotel RDV-1060. Anyone have any input on any of these units? I think they're all north of the price range this string started with - sorry if I've pulled this a different direction (though you never can tell with dealer discounts and second hand market).

Thanks!

Last week I went out to buy the Denon 2900. The dealer didn't have any and it was going to take two weeks for him to get one.

So I went to another store that carried Marantz. I gave a listen to the DV-8400 at $1,700.00 and the DV-6400 for $600.00. I came home with the 6400. The 8400 is suspposed to do a much better job on the video side, but both models are said to be the same for audio.

I also ended up buying the Pioneer Elite PD-F27 300 disc multi changer for just under $500.00. The changer has a 24 bit D/A converter. I'm to lazy to keep changing disc while listening to music. I was surprised to hear an immediate improvement in the sound quality when I got it home and listened to it. Tht 24 bit chip seems to make a nice improvement.

I'm happy with the Marantz DV-6400. I'm also shocked with the clarity of the sound of SACDs and DVD-Audio. Sure the five discrete channel sound is cool and enjoyable, but this format is a nice improvement just for the sound quality. This may end my CD buying.

After going out and spending $400.00 for interconnects I began to think that I should have bought the DV-8400. Something doesn't seem right about spending almost as much for cables compared to the cost of the unit. Then I spent about $600.00 on SACD, DVD-Audio, and a few DVD concert videos. Again thinking of how we worry or are concerned with the cost of our equipment, yet we can spend so much on disc. Something doesn't seem right here.

Anyway, I can recommend the Marantz DV-6400 SACD/DVD-Audio player.

another vote for the 2900 here. auditioned and dismissed sveral sony models, and the yammy wasn't for me. the marantz is also nice, but when I a/b'd the denon was hands down better on video, and it was a pick 'em on sound for me, each has it's qualities. i went 2900 and have been ecstatic with it.

Marksdad,

I use the sony SCD-C555ES SACD for 2-channel audio only. I think it sounds great. Did you compare that to the Denon? I bought used for pretty cheap (actually bought 2 for less than 1/2 of list price for 1) and I'm not worried about video or 5.1.

Just curious. I got good enough deals that I didn't do any auditioning of other products. I had to jump on the deals before someone else did knowing I could easily recoup if needed.

Another one to consider, if you can find it in stock anywhere, is the Philips 963SA. I never really considered Philips before (I always saw them as somehow low end compared to others), but I ended up getting one of these players based on some recommendations from friends, and I must say that I've been very impressed. Granted, my system is hardly expensive, but this player sounds excellent on all the music I've tried and has a lot of options for modding if you ever feel the need.