Is my room too small for Klipschorns?

Deang

"Though, I'm not sure "new" is the smartest route."

Yeah, I'm taking a little heat for this. I look at it this way -- a mint pair is going to run me $2500 to $3000 plus the packing and transportation hassles, with no absolute guarantee that I'm getting what I paid for. There is a nice used pair right now, and I haven't completely ruled them out. I'm basically using the rest of this month to think. I suppose when you get right down to it -- it's more of a gut feeling kind of thing. Once I get that feeling, I can't shake it until I follow through. Electronics are different. They come in manageable boxes, and it's easy to play around -- moving things in and out of the house at will. This won't be that way. So, I have to get what I really want the first time around -- for not doing so will result in a huge hassle factor down the road.

"Oh....and Khorns are as wide as 3 RF7s."

Yes. I'm mathematically declined.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

You know I think that the Khorns are going to sound there best in your room without false corners. I have one question though...what is that 4"x 4" deal sticking out in the left corner and have you thought of how your going to deal with that. I think it would be fairly easy to build out the side wall 4' or so to make that a perfect corner all you will need is some 2" x 4"s and a sheet of 1/2 drywall tape finish and paint. While you won't get the Khorns firing at you like your used to I bet they sound very good back in the corners. I think false corner will just take up to much space !

Exactly how wide is that room ?

Craig

It will be the largest pair of headphones ever. There is no doubt you will regret it if you do not do it. Go for it you will learn to live with any compromise or find a solution. You only live once and you are bound to make more grave mistakes than getting a pair of k-horns. GO FOR IT.

----------------

On 12/14/2003 11:40:38 AM DeanG wrote:

"Though, I'm not sure "new" is the smartest route."

Yeah, I'm taking a little heat for this. I look at it this way -- a mint pair is going to run me $2500 to $3000 plus the packing and transportation hassles, with no absolute guarantee that I'm getting what I paid for. There is a nice used pair right now, and I haven't completely ruled them out. I'm basically using the rest of this month to
think.
I suppose when you get right down to it -- it's more of a gut feeling kind of thing. Once I get that feeling, I can't shake it until I follow through. Electronics are different. They come in manageable boxes, and it's easy to play around -- moving things in and out of the house at will. This won't be that way. So, I have to get what I really want the first time around -- for not doing so will result in a huge hassle factor down the road.

"Oh....and Khorns are as wide as 3 RF7s."

Yes. I'm mathematically declined.

----------------

Replacing my prior up-to-date innards with the AK-4 gave me a definite, audible benefit, and new will have the AK-4 drivers and crossover. That change was expensive, which can be taken into account in considering the cost of new ones. Hopefully you can hear the 2003's as well as others.

Considering the cost factor.

I'm thinking of it this way.

If you get a vintage set, you could easily have it re-veneered in any delicious flavor you can dream of. (read: Tigerwood or Birdseye maple)

And, you can do that prior to putting them upstairs.

and...

if there is any money left over from what would have been your "new" Khorn allocation, you could spend it on a couple different squakers and/or another pair of crossovers.

Cuz let me tell you brother, rolling parts in and out of these big daddies is ALOT of fun.

More fun than tube rolling.

Believe that?

Deano. Just think of the possibilities.

You could have the same custom veneered Khorns with parts to run Set, PP, or fat old solid state whenever you felt like it.

Flip an 811 in place of a K400 or just fool around with tweeter placement.

Swap a vintage 500/5000 with an AA or trade a T35 for a TW35.

Lots of options, my friend.

And the really cool thing.

The older ones will never decrease in equitable value.

I can't specifically say that for the "new" models.IMO

Go for the Fortes' before you get the mombo-jombos.

You'll be tripping, i'm telling you.

The only reason I said that about the 3 RFs, was that yesterday, I packed up my RF system and just happen to have them both sitting in front of one Khorn.

I also, am mathematically challenged.

2+2= too too.

Man...Khorns are big.

It's crazy.

I had to take my both, my screen door and house door off, the hinges just to get them in.

I'm not sure anyone could ever "get used to" them.

Just their mere presence commands a certain amount of respect.

Though personally, I respect anything that I can't pick up by myself.

Regards,

John

----------------

On 12/14/2003 12:24:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

Larry,

You did the Klipschhorn updates available from Klipsch ? Did you do them all at once or did you happen to install the crossover by itself and then the drivers. It would of been cool to pin point what had the most effect.

Craig

----------------

Craig,

Yes, I got them from Klipsch, among the first kits available, and did it all at once. Dean's right about it all being engineered to work together -- the crossover points were changed, I think because of different response curves, plus one driver, the mid-range I believe, has a lower output. All this also required substantial crossover change.

I'm not sure that I, at least, could have evaluated each device separately, not to mention that it took a minimum of 40 hrs. for the wires and maybe the drivers to break in enough for the bass to come back up. Lots of complexity for trying separate evaluations. Interesting question, though!

BTW, the search for TWO new drivers, especially the very unusual mid-range, was described to me as a big challenge and a lot of work. That much, at least, seems like a solid commitment by Klipsch to continuing and making the Klipschorn better.

----------------

On 12/14/2003 12:53:43 PM DeanG wrote:

Two tweeters, two midrange compression drivers, and the crossovers.

----------------

--- plus, Klipsch's new Monster Cable "Z-series" wire "engineered especially for Klipsch." I think it's good stuff. Not a small part of the cost (or charge), either. It replaces all the wire from the input terminals on, i.e., from the crossover to the woofer (the entire crossover is on the inside of the bass bin door -- you get a new bass bin door with crossover attached inside) as well as on up to the MR and tweeter.

Interesting !! So this Mod would be a bolt in upgrade for the Lascala also. Hmmmm maybe something to save for !

Anyone know who would be the best Klipsch employee to talk about using this upgrade on a Lascala would be? I wonder if the new drivers and networks are included with the new Lascalas ?

Craig

My room is similar in size to yours Dean. It is 13 X 26 X 8.5 and like you I have a window that is damned close to one of the corners.

That situation has driven some members here to something just shy of fits. I agree that on the face of it the window would seem to be a major problem. In reality my Khorns absolutely sing and the bass response is fine.

FWIW ---- The so called sweet spot is essentially a non issue because they sound superb no matter where one sits in the room although my recliner which is placed about 12' in front of the horns gives a slightly better soundstage impression than other areas in the room. I will attempt to post a pic of the overall placement later this evening.