• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/16/2003 6:06:48 PM Hepta Bronte wrote:

Oh, let me guess: SET is like a Benz, and Push-Pull is like a Chevy. Yes, I understand now. I never saw that before.

"And Dean, based on the frequency you flip equipment, I would suggest you need to get busy on your research and not worry about any statements I make, and maybe you'll find something with more than 60 days of satisfaction."

I think I've only moved two items that fast, with the rest staying 6 months or more. At any rate, hearing different equipment is of more benefit to me than reading reviews and opinions. This IS my research. Who ever said I was searching for the Holy Grail?

I've think I've always shown you a measure of respect, I don't "deserve" this.

----------------

Dean,

Why are you being so stuck on this PP VS SET crusade? Man I don't get it!

I tried to explain what I perceive as quality when it comes to cars. The difference of quality to quantity. If you want to consider PP as a Chevy, that is your business. I did not say that. As for a car, I will state that I prefer a Benz to a Chevy. But that's my choice, and my cost. My perception of quality versus quantity of watts was clearly stated. I thought I was also very definite in stating what I perceive as quality sound amplification, AND what I prefer for ME. NOT FOR YOU, OR ANYONE ELSE! Why do I have to say this over and over?

Everyone else can poke you about your flipping gear and it's no problem. Why are you being sensative when I say it? I thought you'd get the humor, but I see you did not. I know Mr. BUB and Mr. Parrot are way over the idiot line. I always thought you drew the line way before they. Please stop assuming I mean something I am not saying. I have no fear of saying what I think, believe, or feel. If I want to say something, I do. Dont let their insanity become yours.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 7:16:42 PM rtaylor wrote:

Thank you, you are my hero. I love you. Randy

----------------

I stopped providing free autographed HERO buttons last month. You'll have to pay for yours. As usual, you are days late and dollars short. Again, no surprise.

Klipsch out.

There is some similarity between my Lowther Horns and Kevin's new speakers. The Medallions were also made out of ply rather than MDF (more inert)with the same intention behind the design: A certain amount of vibration which, as Leo mentioned, seems to behave something like a passive radiator, providing maybe a little lift in the low-end response. The Medallion really seems to benefit positively from that characteristic. I once tried one of the 'tweaks' other Medallion cabinet owner have experimented with, which involves filling all the voids on the inner folded horn with sand. There are holes drilled into the cabinet back to make provision for this. Tony Glynn, then owner of Lowther America, strongly advised NOT TO DO THIS, even though the cabinet designer Jennifer Crock (Jena Labs)feels exactly the opposite. After what seemed hours of pouring clean play ground sand into the cabinets through a small funnel, we finally listened to the change. What happened was this: The music simply lost life; went completely impotent; it sounded very, very bad. It took even longer to vacuum the dreaded stuff out with the modified nozzle on a shop vac.

What KH said about plywood is, I believe, 100% on the mark, and I know of others (having spent tons of time with the full-range single driver application) who built Medallions and other Lowther rear-loaded horn design out of MDF -- and like the plywood better. I think the same is true for the older Klipsch speakers. The idea of treating loudspeakers and cabinets as instruments themselves makes good sense, but Kevin's particular design must have taken a long time to perfect. They are very good looking, I think. Wish I could hear them with both of his new amps!

I have been looking really forward to this post. Thanks Randy for sharing your experience!

----------------

On 12/16/2003 7:21:29 PM jazman wrote:

----------------

On 12/16/2003 7:16:42 PM rtaylor wrote:

Thank you, you are my hero. I love you. Randy

----------------

I stopped providing free autographed HERO buttons last month. You'll have to pay for yours. As usual, you are days late and dollars short. Again, no surprise.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Well I thought you were my hero but now I see you just want to profit by belonging to this forum! (By the way, how much for the button?)12.gif

----------------

On 12/16/2003 8:10:43 PM rtaylor wrote:

Well I thought you were my hero but now I see you just want to profit by belonging to this forum! (By the way, how much for the button?)12.gif

----------------

Mr. rtaylor,

Since you asked in a civil manner, (attitude being very important when making concessions), I will consult with my legal advisors and business managers to determine if I can only charge you for the design rights usage, which will then allow you to make your own HERO button, thereby reaping a substantial saving in HERO button production and shipping costs. You, however, will be contractually obligated and allowed to produce only 1(one), aforementioned HERO button. You are not, and will not be, allowed, or be licensed to use the heretofore mentioned trademark HERO in any other endeavor.

I'll get back to you on the cost.

Klipsch out.

There was a guitar amp manufacturer who made an amp designed just for acoustic guitars. It used a spruce soundbouard instead of a paper/plastic speaker cone. I don't know how they fastened the transducer to the wood, and never heard one, but I alsways thought the idea was sound (no pun intended). I haven't seen them on the market for awhile, and would assume they didn't sell well or didn't sound all that good.

Marvel

ps I don't have any 45s, only 9mm and .380! How big a bore is required for the 2A3?

----------------

On 12/16/2003 8:48:09 PM jazman wrote:

----------------

On 12/16/2003 8:10:43 PM rtaylor wrote:

Well I thought you were my hero but now I see you just want to profit by belonging to this forum! (By the way, how much for the button?)
12.gif

----------------

Mr. rtaylor,

Since you asked in a civil manner, (attitude being very important when making concessions), I will consult with my legal advisors and business managers to determine if I can only charge you for the design rights usage, which will then allow you to make your own HERO button, thereby reaping a substantial saving in HERO button production and shipping costs. You, however, will be contractually obligated and allowed to produce only 1(one), aforementioned HERO button. You are not, and will not be, allowed, or be licensed to use the heretofore mentioned trademark HERO in any other endeavor.

I'll get back to you on the cost.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Thank you much for your kind consideration on my request. Please rethink the one button limit. If one is lost then so shall I be.8.gif

I do hope to hear a SE in the near future.

If I've offended you or anyone else in this forum please accept my apologies. 15.gif It was all in jest. But please,can't we all get along. Have a nice day Edmond. Randy

In thinking about purposefully incorporating vibrating sidewalls or whatever in speakers it would be far easier in design and construction to prevent vibrations than to incorporate them into the frequency response of the device, unless the frequency response was exceptionally "not flat" to begin with. So I can't figure out why somebody would do that, except that it can be used as a sales-based "gimmick" and having something that makes the product stand out from the rest is usually a good thing. I would assume that a speaker so designed would by its very nature respond more sympathetically at a certain frequency or set of frequencies (much like a guitar)than others, and in a full range application this seems to be a flawed approach. Please bear in mind that I have not heard them, and am merely postulating the possible performance of such an design. I am NOT saying that you are wrong in your opinion either way, only that this flies in the face of convention and generally accepted speaker design principles, so I am wondering why this guy would build them that way...

If I had a cheap driver and put it in a vibrating enclosure specifically tuned to "fill-in" or "smooth out" the frequency response peaks and valleys, it could sound better. But is that a good design or just a marketing ploy? Just a thought...

DM6.gif

But is that a good design or just a marketing ploy? Just a thought...

D-MAN,

I don't think it's a marketing ploy, as the guy that builds these speakers built them for himself and probably sells less than 10 pairs a year. So, it's not like your dealing with a corporation like Microsoft here.

Also, if you go to the website of the PHY-HP Drivers - this is a French company - Use Google - They have plans for mounting this driver on a large flat panel like a room divider. So the builder just expanded on this design. Part Speaker, Part musical instrument.

I am sitting here listening to these speakers right now, and the guy is on to something. They are like no other. I am not going to review them at length, because the builder has told me that I need a couple hundred hours on them before they will perform as designed. I've got 60 hours on them and they are changing.

I have heard paino music coming out of these things and they remind my of my Son-in-Law when he plays our family's Grand Piano. The deep reverberations of the Grand are duplicated by the Cabinet of these speakers. More realistic than any speaker I have heard thus far. All with 1.8 watts!

Stay Tuned...........