Humble Pie

garymd

Don't you love it when you discover old music that is new to you?

I can't remember ever listening to Humble Pie except maybe on the radio but tonight as I was trying to decide what to throw on the TT, I picked one of my 50 cent lps which happened to be Humble Pie's "Lost and Found." It's a double lp consisting of what I believe to be 2 of their single lps, "Town & Country" and "As Safe As Yesterday Is."

Not only is it a great recording, but I'm really enjoying the very 60's style tunes. Reminds me of old Traffic or Mannassas. I know it was Peter Frampton and others and I have quite a few of their lps I've never played. Apparently someone who took very good care of their lps donated a few to the library and I got lucky although I can't even recall buying them.

Any Humble Pie fans out there. I seem to recall Ed, aka, Heavy Distortion being one. I'd like some recommendations. I may have some of the good ones already.

Thanks in advance.

Gary,

if you like Humble Pie, check out the Faces with Rod Stewart, and then go back to some of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. Another good British pub rocker group was Brinsley Schwartz, which had most of Rockpile(Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, et al) and then you can hit anything from Fairport Convention with Richard and Linda Thompson. A good blue-eyed soul album is Ace's first, Paul Carrack crooning "How Long." You would be well served with any of Procol Harum's first three albums, as well.

Throw in a few instrumental British surf albums from the Shadows, and I love the vocal harmonies the Searchers and early Hollies laid down. You are really making it difficult for me not having a turntable, you know!2.gif

Dave,

First I need to get through the lps I have then I'll start looking for some of your picks. Thanks.

John,

I think that's one I do have. It'll take a little searching though. Thanks for the response.

When I get time I've got to alphabetize my lps. It's getting ridiculous. My wife will be the first to tell you that!7.gif

Gary,

Other Humble Pie recommendations besides the already mentioned "Rockin' The Fillmore", would be their third self-titled LP "Humble Pie" and it's follow-up ,"Rock On", which was available as an original silver MFSL CD, which sounds incredible. FYI, "As Safe As Yesterday Is" and "Town And Country" are the band's first two LPs. All of the LPs mentioned above include Peter Frampton, who left after "Rockin' The Fillmore".

Ed Hurdle

HeavyDistortion

Parchman Farm, 30 days in the Hole are two songs that come to mind. 1972,1973 in my then new maverick(stationed in Mississippi,driving what to me is the most uncomfortable long distance car in the world), in the navy listening on a portable 8 track! Talk about quality! But the music really grooved! Don't have a thing by them now. Have to get up to goodwill and check it out. There are so many good old bands out there.

Humble Pie fan here,try "On to victory","Go for the throat","Eat it","Smokin",along with the others mentioned.Also look for Steve Marriott(Humble Pie)King Bisquit and Steve Marriott w/the Pie dvd,great performances of some great Pie songs.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 8:27:15 PM Fish wrote:

Humble Pie fan here,try "On to victory","Go for the throat","Eat it","Smokin",along with the others mentioned.Also look for Steve Marriott(Humble Pie)King Bisquit and Steve Marriott w/the Pie dvd,great performances of some great Pie songs.

----------------

Cool. I found "Eat It" and "Smokin" in my stash. I still haven't listened to the first lp yet however. Now I have a few to look forward to. I think those 2 plus Fillmore and the ones I initially mentioned are what I have.