Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/18/2003 2:57:34 PM paulparrot wrote:

Sorry to hear. How was it packed?
----------------

Paul,

The TT was packed very well in a denon 2900 box filled with peanuts, labled fradile handle with care, and electronic material do not crush, something went right into the electronic do not cruch lable, breaking the cover and damging the base. I bought it from MarksDad off the forum and ordered a new cartridge for it! Now I have no LP's to listen too for the holidays15.gif I wanted to have some analog back in my life after a 20+ year absence. Thanks for the concern, Garymd called meand suggested I buy the MMF7 and I think I mught just do that, but I won't have achance till early next year.

Smilin6.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ryan,

I bought the thorens 125 from MarksDad off the forum, and I know it WAS in great condition ad WAS very well packaged, but FEDEX essd it allup.I even ordered a shure markV for it, now I have to cancel that too. No more used TT for me6.gif onward nd upwardat this point!

Smilin

Smilin,

That is too bad. My experience is that FedEx *will* pay, but it takes months of persistence.

Also, I have never known any carrier or handler to ever read labels. Fragile Glass and that can't kind of thing are totally ignored. Serious overpacking is the best protection, double boxing definitely, but almost nothing will protect a package if it's seriously attacked, like by a forklift.

Also, it doesn't matter whether it's USPS, UPS, FedEx or other, all of them screw up at times, and it takes just one screw up in a long chain of handling to wreck something. The wonder is that it doesn't happen more often than it does.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/18/2003 3:13:17 PM paulparrot wrote:

Smilin,

That is too bad. My experience is that FedEx *will* pay, but it takes months of persistence.

Also, I have never known any carrier or handler to ever read labels. Fragile Glass and that can't kind of thing are totally ignored. Serious overpacking is the best protection, double boxing definitely, but almost nothing will protect a package if it's seriously attacked, like by a forklift.

Also, it doesn't matter whether it's USPS, UPS, FedEx or other, all of them screw up at times, and it takes just one screw up in a long chain of handling to wreck something. The wonder is that it doesn't happen more often than it does.
----------------

Yeah, I know, and I'm not going to let it ruin my day, just the moment.

Life is NOT long enough.

Philosophy 101

Smilin

Hey Smilin, these guys have a Thorens TD 166 II Turntable and I believe they are in the Chicago area. http://www.saturdayaudio.com click on the "Used Gear" tab and it will be towards the bottom of the New Additions. They have a photo of it and it looks nice. If they are close enough to you can pick it up and save the shipping aggravation.

Fedex destroyed the matching DBX CX-1 Reference Preamp ($2500) to my BX-1 Power Amplifier and it can never be replaced. It could have been packed better but they misrouted it and it went everywhere except where it was supposed to go - IDIOTS! Fedex Ground is slow to handle claims and yuo have to ride their *** constantly but they do pay eventually.

Sorry to hear about your TT 15.gif

Don't kid yourself, if it's labled "fragile" some of the a holes at these places go out their way to smash it. A good friend of mine was a UPS supervisor and couldn't believe the crap these guys would pull. Chucking packages across warehouse, smashing packages for the hell of it, especially if it appeared expensive. At Christmas it only gets worse. But you can't do anything to the workers after they get a certain amount of seniority since they are unionized. I'm sure most UPS workers are fine, upstanding people, but it only takes a few to really cause problems.

I'm shocked at the number of people on this forum who have complaints. I have ordered 5 pairs of speakers, and countless other electroics online and used UPS as a shipper and never once has anything shown up with damage. though to me it seems like klipsch should use some kind of cone guard in their boxes to make sure no one gets dented cones. when they ship both the synergy and reference lines, they don't have anything to protect the cones (they keep grilles in a seperate box)...14.gif

My TD165 was COMPLETELY torn down and packed before shipping. I had to take it to my local shop for reassembly and setup. I doubt I could have done it right. The thorens have the fishline with weight attached, etc. Lots of fragile parts.

Worth the $20 setup fee for reassembly and cartridge installation. Back then I didn't have Larry to help me like I did with the technics.

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

just back back from checking prices on the Sumiko products, whatcha know about the project perspective at 750 new, set up w/o cartridge, and how bout which bluepoint, or bluepoint special for cartridge?

all feedback appreciated

smilin and wanting a TT that works2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Mark,

Not to worry It certainly is not your fault, I will TT a rep from fed ex hopfully tomorrow, I guess it just was not meant to be! If you can email me your # I will call you after I tt them. I would like to know how you like your NEW TT, I was talking to my buddy at tweeter anf he offered me one for 750, retail 995, is that a good price and is it a great table. I would still have to buy the cartridge, but I can get a great deal on that too. do you know which is better the blu point or the blue point (plus?).

if you still have my #'s give me a call

smilin more than before

**** Happens15.gif6.gif2.gif3.gif10.gif

This is all true! Last I heard, Fedex might damage 1 in 10,000 packages. Serious overpacking is one way to protect your investment. Another one is to avoid shipping during peak (now!) as we do have our hands very full and indeed don't have time to read labels. Our training does say to treat each package as if it were the most important one in the world, but when they start coming at you... If you must ship at this time, differentiate between ground and air service. UPS and Fedex Ground are cheaper and attract the heavier packages, but these heavier packages are what beats up your shipment. Spend the extra few bucks and send them via Fedex Express (not ground) and use the Express Saver service which is the three day service.

I worked at the Brown Army (UPS) a few years and many more years at Fedex. I have NEVER seen anyone purposely destroy shipments. At UPS, the Union cannot protect you in the event of purposful theft or vandalism. Most employees at Fedex Express feel an obligation to serve their customers well, this is something that Fedex has suceeded in building in culturally.

BTW, do stay on them untill you get reimbursed, but they will try and determine if it was packaged properly. You can't blame them for that. It would be like Klipsch replacing a speaker blown by too much power... Good luck!

"Dual 506

The counter-weight had snapped off of the tonearm, the cartridge has disengaged from the headshell, the stylus was broke, the dustcover smashed in 5 placed, platter was disengaged from drive system, and wood plinth was smashed. Even the strobe light was smashed!"

A new Dual is shipped without the platter, counterweight, and headshell/cart being installed. The hinges have to be removed from the dustcover. There is a pad between the DC and the base. There is an extra piece of cardboard on top of the DC. A box more than a couple of years old should have an overbox, the original is not strong enough to re-use.

In light of things like dust covers being generally unavailale for old TT, I would put a piece of tempered Masonite on all six sides of the overbox.

Don't forget to wick the oil out of Linn/Thorens type thrust bearing.

Do the tonearm bearings require a shim?

Are the suspension shipping screws tight?

Pack/Ship places don't know these things, nor do most sellers.

Is it FED/UPS fault these things get trashed?

I think not.