Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

Maybe I misread his post in which he described his intentions. Sorry about that.

But, I still maintain that a 5.1 signal "forcefully" mixed down to a stereo signal like I described would have a detrimental effect on the sound. When I watch DVD's in 5.1 sound on my 2-channel system, it sounds fairly hollow, as if some stuff has been cut out (which some stuff actually has). So, I just switch the audio output on the DVD player to 2-channel audio, and it sounds great again.

As for the Scott moulding the sound with its pre-amp, I was unaware that the Scott would have such a large impression on the signal coming from the SS Rotel. I stand corrected about that.

George, if I were you I'd follow Craig's advice. He's been doing this for a long time and he certainly knows how to make a vintage amp sound great again :)

-Jesse

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:29:19 AM stream wrote:

Craig,

Maybe I misread his post in which he described his intentions. Sorry about that.

But, I still maintain that a 5.1 signal "forcefully" mixed down to a stereo signal like I described would have a detrimental effect on the sound. When I watch DVD's in 5.1 sound on my 2-channel system, it sounds fairly hollow, as if some stuff has been cut out (which some stuff actually has). So, I just switch the audio output on the DVD player to 2-channel audio, and it sounds great again.

As for the Scott moulding the sound with its pre-amp, I was unaware that the Scott would have such a large impression on the signal coming from the SS Rotel. I stand corrected about that.

George, if I were you I'd follow Craig's advice. He's been doing this for a long time and he certainly knows how to make a vintage amp sound great again
:)

-Jesse

----------------

Oh yeah, Craig has helped me out big time along with everyone else with thier advice and opinions. The thing that seals the deal for me is that Craig actually has the RF-3's setup with the Scott amp and a rotel reciever, now how much more exact can you get to my setup than that?10.gif

Oh wow, I totally missed his post at the top of this page where he said he would use 2-channel output on his DVD player. Sorry about that :)

-Jesse

ps - Although...what is Dolby 2.0? I thought the purpose of Dolby was 5.1 surround sound...? "I learn something new every day" isn't true for me...I learn about 20 new things every day ;)

Stream,

The 5.1 signal on a DVD is not even used if you go into the menu of the DVD and choose 2 Channel there are complete different mixes. Nothing is forced down ! You don't use the reciever to change a 5.1 to a 2 channel signal you change it at the source.

Craig

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:34:29 AM stream wrote:

Oh wow, I totally missed his post at the top of this page where he said he would use 2-channel output on his DVD player. Sorry about that
:)

-Jesse

ps - Although...what is Dolby 2.0? I thought the purpose of Dolby was 5.1 surround sound...? "I learn something new every day" isn't true for me...I learn about 20 new things every day
;)

----------------

5.1 is six channels of discrete sound (3 front, 2 rear and .1 sub woofer).

All signals are stored/processed separately. You can heve 6 different

sounds from the 6 speakers.

2.0 is two channel (stereo) - however this is usually Dolby Surround encoded

so that centre, and rear sound is encoded into the stereo signals (4

channels). When decoded using a Dolby Prologic (or equiv) decoder you will

hear different sounds in the 3 centre speakers, with a fourth channel into

both rear speakers (i.e mono surrounds). This "matrix" of channels tends to

mix sounds intended for one speaker into another, so separation of sounds is

not as defined as 5.1.

BTW, did i mention that this is a great site!! Man, I have never seen such a site that is so active and so passionate about thier audio equipment. I mean its nuts how fast threads just blow up with posts that are one after another, i really like fast paced sites like this.

Glad i found this site and the Klipsch speakers 1.gif

Craig,

I was talking about if he were running 5.1 sound out of his DVD player into his Rotel, then into a 2-channel amp. In that case, it would be forced down to stereo, with less than great results.

However, I found out he's using Dolby stereo output on his DVD player, so the point I was trying to make is now moot.

George,

Ah, no one has ever explained how 2-channel Dolby works. Thanks! I figured it would just combine the center and rear channels into the mains, but I never really knew for sure.

-Jesse

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:15:01 AM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Oh, I will be tossing the RF-3's in the dumpster soon and getting me some RF-7's once i get a nice Scott amp picked out and ready to roll
1.gif

----------------

Ever thought of going Heritage? i.e. the Cornwall, LaScala or Khorn?

GFH

I'm going to throw in my 2 cents here. Why not have 2 setups in the same room? I have a 299A rebuilt by Craig that I have hooked up to a pair of Khorns. Also wired to them is my HTR. So when I'm watching movies I can still enjoy dolby digital surround and when I feel like music the Scott is on. Just have to remember not to have both on at the same time!!2.gif

Georg,

yhere are more tube options than you can shake a fist at, and there are many variations. Off the top of my head, you can get single-ended triode(SET), single-ended, mono, parallel mono, dual mono, push-pull, and too-much-money in your pockets tube9.gif

You have people who swear by their output tubes - 2a3, 300b, military, 6bq5, 7591, el 34, el84, kt 88, kt66 etc, etc, etc.

If you are like I was when I ventured into the realm of tube amplification, I wanted good, reliable sound with about 25-35 wpc, and for under $5-600 dollars, with flexibility for inputs. I did some reading on other websites, and people were quite enthusuastic about eico HF81s, Dynaco, Fischer and Pilot gear, and Scotts at this price break. They also love the "old" iron as compared to modern tube stuff.

The HF81 fell out just because of the power output - 14 wpc is not want I love when listening to rock or heavy jazz. The sought after fischers are mainly monoblocks and look old, plus a fisher afficianado in St. Louis said they are tempermental, even after being rebuilt. The Pilots are great, a little bit rarer, and are up and coming as far as monetary value. The Scotts and Dynaco seem to be the workhorses of the bunch, and there are many more rebuilders that work on these two then all the others combined.

If you want superior reliability and convenience in a single package, the Scott 299c or 299d, when massaged by Craig or Ryan, will be a great performer that will give you quality and you will not lose money if you ever sell it. If you want to run it with a preamp, the Dynaco ST70 gives you similar power as an amp only setup. I have both, run them every day, and love them.

Sooner or later, you probably will be sampling other tube amp topologies, but these will give you a solid, quality power base close to what you are used to, with quality. We also have a tendancy to hold on to our vintage tube amps even when we do buy a new one, because they are good! Look on Audiogon or Ebay, and you will notice that most modern tube amps take a 40-50% hit when resold. Most rebuilt vintage tube amps of reputable name sell for 80-120% of what the seller has in them.

Whatever you do, we think you can't do much wrong in listening to a tube setup - they do sound gorgeous with Klipsch gear!