Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

----------------

On 12/21/2003 12:07:16 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Craig,

Can you please replace all the capacitors in the Scott please when i get one? I mean every little one, also i want every single tube replaced with some high quality, warm tubes like the EH or RCA. I want the amp pretty much new inside regarding electrical components
1.gif
----------------

Trust me buddy when I do a amp I do a amp !! I hate to cut corners on a rebuild ! My reputation for excellant work and service after the sale is what has got me where I am THIS WILL NEVER CHANGE !!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GFH,

It all depends your not completely correct in thinking that new tubes will help the sound in about 99% of the cases the only tubes that require replacing are the output tubes and sometime the phase splitter. The tubes that came in the Scott if included in the amp are the best that can be had !! The four front end 12AX7's if original last litterally several life times they are just not run that hard. They are the absolute best in my opinion !! Talking about what will and won't be done to a amp before the amp is tested is buying the horse before the carriage. There are to many variables !

Craig

Craig,

How will the sound of this Integrated amp be compared to a mid range solid state amp in the $1k range from Rotel or so forth? Is the sound of the tube muddled and slower paced compare to a punchy solid state amp? Ive heard that solid state is alot faster and punchier in fast paced movements and detailed notes, is this true?

----------------

On 12/21/2003 12:37:03 PM NOSValves wrote:

Nope once you hear a descent tube amp unless your one of the 1% you will never look back !! There is only one way for you to find out if its to YOUR liking and that is to try it.

Craig

----------------

Yup, thats what ive heard and im sure ill be happy with it, just waiting for this auction to end!!10.gif

Craig,

You are acting immature here. I didn't and still don't see any NOS Valves mentioning, near Dave's (Texas42) signature. I thought that putting this amount in a $250 amp was/is ilogical to me no matter who rebuilt it (I gave my point of view, too). I think that you are the one who's starting the flames here since I didn't know that you rebuilt it.

It is still obvious that you continue to promote yourself by causing that scenes, and it woud be much more appropriate if you can continue your discusions with GFH in private massages or over the phone (just as you done before) since we really don't give a f*ck, how you're gonna rebuilt his amps, and which parts we'll be used.

Guy

OK, it took me awhile but I just skimmed through this post.

Here's what I think, no offense George, that is your name right?

I would sware that George is a hoax just to stir you guys up, much like Deans wife saying he quit. George has said he would buy Scott, a TT, set amps, PP amps, a north something, new speakers, use his Rotel as a processor, etc......

Yeah right. George if you are real you are all over the board. Just do one thing, do not buy a tube amp and play it through your Rotel for processing. That would be a waste, most here (if they had a SS amp) would use a tube preamp to tame the highs on a SS amp. NOt buy a tube amp to run through a SS setup.

JMO.

If I am right about George he should have waited until April 1st to list this for you guys. Talk about topics not to bring up; Scott quality, set vs. PP, what tube amp to buy for under $500.00 it just seems to sureal to me.

LOL, im real i assure you1.gif Im just trying to make my mind up about tube amps since i know nothing about them. I just want to get my feet wet in Tube equipment and this place seems to be very knowledgable regarding tube equipment, hence why i am taking in all the suggestions and then applying it to how much i want to spend and what it will give me. I am leaning towards the Scott more and more, since it is a very good price, it has tubes and it is pretty powerful, it has phono inputs for hooking up a TT.

Guy,

You probably had a sweet high-revving Mini Cooper that could kick the snot out of everything that crossed its path on any serious winding road. They are great little beasts, and when you drop a Stage 2 or 3 engine in along with poly bushings and handling kit, watch out! It's a shame you didn't send it to the Midwest for sale - you could have pulled down another 60% if you maintained it like I think you would1.gif

I almost pulled the trigger on a $950 Scott 299C when I first started chasing integrated tube amps. Thankfully, I listened to a couple people, showed some patience, and ended up with a totally restored one and a working horse for a couple hundred less than what VTV wanted for a single cheap rebuilt. Craig does dang good electrical work, and his soldering (coming from a Nuc Inspector) would pass reactor QA. He, Ryan, Erik, Mike, and all the guys who do the sparky work deserve a lot of respect for their efforts.

There are a number of people here who are from a blue collar or less than upper class economic background. We enjoy reading about systems that we will never even dream about listening to, let alone owning. Believe it or not, we LOOK UP and ADMIRE people on the forum who help us by rebuilding, birddogging, or kit building tube equipment that we can dream about, and yes, even buy if we are real good. You are one of those who conciensciously birddog, and many thanks for that!

It is a real bummer when we come to the Klipsch forum and see flames popping out all over the place like pimples on a seventeen year old6.gif Like many, I would love to have a long listen to a wonderful SET amp for a month or so. Unfortunately, I've decided this won't happen for the next ten years or so, as I need a healthy set of 60 watt monoblocs to drown out the one year old9.gif9.gif

Let's try to keep our learned discourse civil1.gif

----------------

On 12/21/2003 2:50:36 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Craig,

You are acting immature here. I didn't and still don't see any NOS Valves mentioning, near Dave's (Texas42) signature. I thought that putting this amount in a $250 amp was/is ilogical to me no matter who rebuilt it (I gave my point of view, too). I think that you are the one who's starting the flames here since I didn't know that you rebuilt it.

It is still obvious that you continue to promote yourself by causing that scenes, and it woud be much more appropriate if you can continue your discusions with GFH in private massages or over the phone (just as you done before) since we really don't give a f*ck, how you're gonna rebuilt his amps, and which parts we'll be used.

Guy----------------

You know maybe you did not realize who rebuilt or what was done but I truly think if you didn't you need some reading comprehension skills. If your going to post into a thread don't you think the responsible thing to do is read the entire thread before hammering what someone else decided to do with THERE money you didn't just make a comment you SCREAMED the comment. I for one do not believe for a second you didn't know I did the rebuild. You have repeatedly did things like this time and time again. I made valid, mature and totally none hostile points about your post and you have made the choice not to respond intelligently. Instead you come back with a FLAME rather then any valid response this is Par for the coarse.

Craig

PS what you like or do not like means absolutely nothing to me young child.

Guy, if you don't mind me asking -- where did Craig "flame" you? He just said you were way off base with your opinion -- I don't think that constitutes a "flame". I can't figure out where all of this anger is coming from.

These vintage integrateds have a lot more going on in them, and much more to offer than any of the modern integrateds. You get a REAL preamp section, with a PHONO stage, FIXED bias which runs the output tubes properly, tube rectification, a balance control, and tone controls.

George,

On a side note, brand-new RF-7's can be had for $1600 if you do your homework. In fact, there's a new cherry pair for $925 on ebay right now, but they have 6 days left, so you'll probably get in bidding wars with folks before too long, and the price will go way up. I lucked out and found my pair brand-new for $1550 or so (before shipping) on a buy-it-now auction.

Texas,

How do you like that TA-30? I love mine! What kind of tubes and interconnects are you running with it?

-Jesse

----------------

On 12/21/2003 6:28:38 PM stream wrote:

George,

On a side note, brand-new RF-7's can be had for $1600 if you do your homework. In fact, there's a new cherry pair for $925 on ebay right now, but they have 6 days left, so you'll probably get in bidding wars with folks before too long, and the price will go way up. I lucked out and found my pair brand-new for $1550 or so (before shipping) on a buy-it-now auction.

----------------

I have a buddy that works at Ultimate Electronics and gets 60% off MSRP on any Klipsch product. The RF-7's retail for $991 each and he gets 60% off that and im buying it through him and giving him a little kick back for it3.gif

----------------

I have a buddy that works at Ultimate Electronics and gets 60% off MSRP on any Klipsch product. The RF-7's retail for $991 each and he gets 60% off that and im buying it through him and giving him a little kick back for it.

----------------

This is, obviously, in accordance with the Profit-Blowing Out-The-Backdoor-But-We-Don't-Care-Because-We-Are-Too-Busy Watching-The-Front-Door company policy? That reminds me, Pirates of the Carribbean is a great family movie if you haven't already seen it.

stream,

Texas is the reason I started recommending the amp his comments to me personally through email have been very positive with the Cayin so when someone wants a low budget new solution it seems to fit the bill nicely. I recieved the pep talk from my Buddy Paul that sells them but I hate to go by that even though I don't think he would bullsh!t me. I'm gald so far everyone likes them that has tried them. You sure can't beat the price.

Craig

Guy, your post was inappropriate and inflammatory. Posts like that are not appreciated by those of us who are using this forum in a responsible way to learn and contribute. By the way, I for one am interested in what Craig is doing to rebuild the 299 and how much it costs. It's not up to you to tell Craig what he can and cannot post in a thread. Just go somewhere else if you don't like it, like changing the t.v. channel if you don't like what you see.

Craig, chill man. I just didn't want to offend you in any way. It's a personal thing with me, on my #1 system, I like to have solid build quality among other things.

Greg