Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

Guest Anonymous

Piranha,

No I do not have any of the amps yet, and I dont think Craig has started on them either, But I will have them in Mid January. I cannot wait to hear the 272, and 233 but especially the 272 cause that's suppose to be the BEST sounding amp that scott made(integrated that is). I am working on my patience12.gif But being patient is NOT one of my strong suits2.gif as you can see from my buying frenzies6.gif BTW did ya see I got my B-DAY present, the 72 verticle corns, bidding just ended16.gif

Happy birthday to me!9.gif

GFH will see this is an addictive hobby and to have your sound and hear it too is quite a journey, ROTS OF RUCK GFH

may the journey enlighten your spirit SRM Today10.gif

Smilin out4.gif

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Smilin, you got the verts. Congrats man, that is AWESOME!. They are not 71's?

Yeah, I am really interested in knowing how you like the 272. I think I would buy one of them or a 296 if I had the chance to.

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:17:16 PM smilin wrote:

Piranha,

No I do not have any of the amps yet, and I dont think Craig has started on them either, But I will have them in Mid January. I cannot wait to hear the 272, and 233 but especially the 272 cause that's suppose to be the BEST sounding amp that scott made(integrated that is). I am working on my patience
12.gif
But being patient is NOT one of my strong suits
2.gif
as you can see from my buying frenzies
6.gif
BTW did ya see I got my B-DAY present, the 72 verticle corns, bidding just ended
16.gif

Happy birthday to me!
9.gif

GFH will see this is an addictive hobby and to have your sound and hear it too is quite a journey, ROTS OF RUCK GFH

may the journey enlighten your spirit SRM Today
10.gif

Smilin out
4.gif

----------------

----------------

On 12/20/2003 1:17:16 PM smilin wrote:

Piranha,

No I do not have any of the amps yet, and I dont think Craig has started on them either, But I will have them in Mid January. I cannot wait to hear the 272, and 233 but especially the 272 cause that's suppose to be the BEST sounding amp that scott made(integrated that is). I am working on my patience
12.gif
But being patient is NOT one of my strong suits
2.gif
as you can see from my buying frenzies
6.gif
BTW did ya see I got my B-DAY present, the 72 verticle corns, bidding just ended
16.gif

Happy birthday to me!
9.gif

may the journey enlighten your spirit SRM Today
10.gif

Smilin out
4.gif

----------------

There are lots of good preamps, but Friends is right -- when you get into an area like this, it's usually not a bad idea to get the pieces that were voiced together as a whole. So, since there is a Wright preamp out there, it's the 'natural' mate to the amplifiers. It's also nice from the asthetic perspective.

Those Wright monoblocks are push-pull, with 10 wpc. They are true triode however, and the first 6 watts are Class A. In a world of compromises, it may be the best option for you with the RF series of speakers, in your room.

Georg,

don't get the cart before the horse! Although I didn't look where you live, find a forum member in your neck of the woods, invite yourself over, and have a listen. Define clearly what your objective is, and stick to it. Listen and learn what your chosen system can and cannot handle, and then go down the alley you want as time and money allow.

Do not go for the most wonderful or technically advanced component from the get-go. There are many ways to get a wonderful system, and you are tilting toward the less rewarding by pursuing components rather than speaker upgrades. If you have a set of midrange speakers, then go after a midrange tube setup. Getting a kick-*** low powered tube amp will not greatly benefit your RF3s, in my mind.

The decision is yours, but many of us on the forum have benefitted from buying vintage at a reasonable cost, having it restored with warranty from Craig or Ryan, and and going from there. If you tie up 2 grand in a Rotel/Wright setup, your options are fairly limited. I really think you would be better served by spending lots of money on your second tube amp, rather than your first. At least 75% of the forum members with tube equipment have gone through at least two, if not more, amps in the past five years, I'd wager!

That Marantz 7C is priced WAY out of the picture in my view. This is a sought after vintage item and priced accordingly. To be honest, I think you could find some nice inexpensive line stages that would fit the bill.

I think the LAM 6SN7 SRPP is the cheapest linestage for the quality you get right now. There is NO WAY this would cost $250 over here. Indeed, try more in the order of 950.

There are also other neat, simple line stages around that would do much better than a host of options. The little Philly Audio 7A or 7B is another interesting take at $500 new and below $300 used. It also has a choke filtered supply and tube rectification.

Philly Audio 7A

7aml.jpg

kh

Guest Anonymous

Piranha,

Yeah ya ya ya right I be sleepin at the wheel 71 isa berry berry good year2.gif Make me bery bery happy at least for the moment 6.gif Klipshhorns all around will be my next year birthday present10.gif when do I have to start aquiring them, huh pirhana11.gif YES I am being serious, you can never dwell that long with this hobby,

All things change, over time

SRM today

Smilin out9.gif12.gif

Dave,

Yeah, but George doesn't strike me as the high SPL type. Besides, if it's not "enough" for him right now, it will be when he goes to the RF-7's -- and even then, the Wrights have good resale potential. He could start here and just be happy as a lark.

Kelly,

That's an interesting little unit. What have you heard about it?

I originally was talking about this piece which didnt utilize the 6922. IT was the 7B. Now they do a "7A" which is what I pictured above. There is the pic I posted a month or more back below. I think they wanted to save some ducats with the new model but called it an "improvement." Regardless, neat to consider.

I think the LAM unit more intriguing but there are so many bargains in this area. And this stuff is ripe for mods if someone gets bored and eager to burn their fingers...

philly_audio_7b.jpg

kh

You know this is incredible. This guy wants a all around sound system to pull duties in all arena's. Doesn't anyone but me see the weakness that the Wright 2A3 amps are going to bring to the table for a all in one setup? I mean I could careless if the guy buy's a Scott but he is getting pulled into the romance of SET game hear.

Anyone read this question ????

BTW, how does this Scott AMP sound with DVD movies? Does it have the punch and clarity that the amps in my Rotel have for Dolby 2.0 surround processing?

Craig, we have lately been talking WRIGHT SOUND MONO 10s that are on Audiogon. These are Push pull 2A3 Monoblocks. This is NOT a SET amp. And I bet these are pretty dynamic little amps especially on some RF-7s. Not sure they would be my first for HT use. But if you have a sub, they might be more than fine. I still personally believe in separating the HT from the music but know that isnt always possible.

kh

George doesn't strike me as the high SPL type. He could definitely squeak by with 10 wpc and the RF-7's with movies. With the RF-3s, I wouldn't even bother. He's still left with the problem of giving up the processing functions of his Rotel, but if it was me -- the Rotel would be gone. I've been doing movies in 2 channel with tubes, and NO processor for two years -- and its awesome.

Dean,

I'm sure that even if he buy's a separate preamp he will still be using this system for movies with the Rotel you just plug it's preamp outs into a high level input of his new preamp ! I mean what is he going to do give up TV all together ?

Craig

I have a question for him.

how much of the usuable power of the Rotel do you now use to get enjoyable sound levels for music and movies ? I know if he buy even the 10 watt amps he better get RF7's because 10 watts is going to be pretty weak on the RF3's for a all around system and I know this with a less then half his size.

Craig, I have listened to the Wright Mono 10s at a friend's house. He's a wright fanatic. He has the WLA12A line pre, WPL20 line/phono pre, WPA3.5 2A3 SET Monos, Mono 8s 300B SET and Mono 10s 2A3 PP. The Mono 10s are LOUD on the Fortes and sound impressive on Khorns. You have to listen to them for yourself and just don't take my words alone.

PS. There's a very good chance I will buy the Mono 10s on Audiogon.