Cartridge suggestions?

fini

Fini, do you hear TT motor noise through your cart, in addition to feedback from outside the TT? I still wonder about a problem with internal TT isolation -- did you ever get info on securing for shipping? Is something around the tonearm or the plinth resting on something it shouldn't? Is the plinth suspended on springs and moveable, or is it cinched down?

Larry

Fini..It's not the pickup. DO NOT GET THE INFINITY BLACK WIDOW! This is a very unstable arm. The arm tube is not all that rigid. And the knife bearings chatter. I had one for a while on a Luxman PD121 table with a Sonus pickup. Both the table & the arm are among the worst I have used. Beautiful looking, table was built very well, but both have some major engineering short comings.

After many years of different pickups (30=?yikes) Ive settled on the Shure V15 Type Vmr for the last 10 or more years. Im using it in a SME III, & would eventually like to upgrade to the SME V.

And, direct drive turntables are for DJs. Not for audiophiles. Their rumble measurements are always shown weighted. Theres a reason for that. They dont want you to see how much low frequency (subsonic) rumble they are producing. This rumble is usually at its peak around the resonant range of many pickup/pickup arm combinations. No amount of isolation (other than putting it in another isolated room) will cure the resulting problems due the resonance conflicts. And even then, you can still have problems due to wow & warp that just wont be handled as well as a TT/pickup/arm combo that doesnt have these problems in the first place.

I wouldnt necessarily recommend this to anyone, but, if you havent, someday, you really have to hear a Decca pickup. The ultimate in clarity. Requires a damped arm. The Decca International arm is a pain. The pickup is very unique in its design. But it is a real pain to setup & get the best out of it.

One other good thing about the Shure is you can send/return the stylus directly to Shure in Evanston, IL & they will replace it for $20. I just get mine replaced once a year.

I would scrap the Infinity tonearm and get something else. I have a Thorens and that was one of the popular arms for it but people just had problems with it. I would go for another TT and just use the cartridge recommended. I still use the standard arm for my TD-145Mk2 with an Ortofon MC20 and have been enjoying it since. No feedback or hum either.

Cheers.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Artto!8.gif

BTW, the V15 replacement stylus from Shure runs $50 now. That's what my type III ran a few months back. The other styli are still $20, though.

One thing I am sure of, the Kenwood/BW/Shure combo should sound WAY better than what mine does. At least I would sure hope so, as many people who have the same rig, including actress Marlee Matlin, LOVE it!

Fini,

The black widow is a good arm with the right Cart.

I have a Thorens TD 125 mark II with blackwidow and Ortofon LM20.

I was Thinking of trying out some other carts as my stylus was lost,But i just found out they are still avalible new.

I did a search on the net for blackwidow arms seems like they sell for big $$ when the rarly come up for sale. saw one go for around 500.

I have the orig black widow box with all directions and setup/install templets if you need and help.

----------------

On 12/30/2003 12:22:04 PM larryclare wrote:

Fini, do you hear TT motor noise through your cart, in addition to feedback from outside the TT? I still wonder about a problem with internal TT isolation -- did you ever get info on securing for shipping? Is something around the tonearm or the plinth resting on something it shouldn't? Is the plinth suspended on springs and moveable, or is it cinched down?

Larry

----------------

Larry,

As I understand it (from a reply at The Vinyl Engine), the Kenwood has no suspension. I don't believe I'm hearing motor noise. Taps on the plinth are very audible. I should be receiving the materials soon with which I will construct my isolation platform. I guess one could extend the tomearm leads, in order to have the turntable be a greater distance from the rest of the gear? I suppose it's the speakers that are the main concern, though. If the Black Widow fails to work for me, I'd like to possibly try Allan's SME. I'm wondering why Allan says the Shure won't work with it, though.

----------------

On 12/31/2003 2:16:35 AM khorn58 wrote:

Fini,

The black widow is a good arm with the right Cart.

I have a Thorens TD 125 mark II with blackwidow and Ortofon LM20.

I was Thinking of trying out some other carts as my stylus was lost,But i just found out they are still avalible new.

I did a search on the net for blackwidow arms seems like they sell for big $$ when the rarly come up for sale. saw one go for around 500.

I have the orig black widow box with all directions and setup/install templets if you need and help.

----------------

khorn58,

I appreciate the offer. I downloaded the instruction manual from The Vinyl Engine, but it included no troubleshooting info, or detailed diagrams or descriptions. Do you have anything like this?

----------------

On 12/30/2003 11:36:53 PM fini wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Artto!
8.gif

BTW, the V15 replacement stylus from Shure runs $50 now. That's what my type III ran a few months back. The other styli are still $20, though.

One thing I am sure of, the Kenwood/BW/Shure combo should sound WAY better than what mine does. At least I would sure hope so, as many people who have the same rig, including actress Marlee Matlin, LOVE it!

----------------

Fini: Isn't Marlee Maitlin DEAF? Or is that another actress I am thinking of?1.gif

----------------

On 12/31/2003 11:08:47 AM bkrop wrote:

----------------

On 12/30/2003 11:36:53 PM fini wrote:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Artto!
8.gif

----------------

Fini: Isn't Marlee Maitlin DEAF? Or is that another actress I am thinking of?
1.gif

----------------

Geeze, you mean someone reads the crap I write?2.gif

I played around with my turntable a bit last night, gathering a bit more info. I expect the handball to arrive any day, then I can complete the isolation platform. I was getting HEAVY feedback, even with the stylus in the run-out groove, standing about 3 feet away. As I moved closer (damping the floor with my weight) the feedback diminished. When I picked up the table, it virtually went away. Also, there is NO feedback or acoustic pickup when the stylus is not on the disc (in other words, when I tap on the plinth, I cannot hear it through the speakers, which seems to indicate that the problem is not at the arm pivot. Perhaps a platter mat would be a good idea, too. I'll make one out of that non-slip shelf material...