Older 70's 2 channel recievers

Klipsch RF7

Hi Guys,

What is it about these older mid 70's SS recievers? My buddy borrowed his dad's old Marantz 1975 50 watts per channel 2 channel reciever and we hooked up some RF-3's and OMG, that thing has some balls. I mean the bass is so deep and powerful, its not bright or edgy and not lacking any gusto. Its like the reciever is putting out some juice to these speakers. Heck the RF-3's and the Marantz sound more beefier and thicker than my RF-7's on my Rotel Reciever6.gif The sound is really warm and laid back, lots of bass thoughout the range and powerful.

What makes these recievers so beefy and so much braun?

Will the Scott 299-C tube amp bring some guts and gusto to my RF-7's?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/29/2003 6:33:10 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Hi Guys,

What is it about these older mid 70's SS recievers? My buddy borrowed his dad's old Marantz 1975 50 watts per channel 2 channel reciever and we hooked up some RF-3's and OMG, that thing has some balls. I mean the bass is so deep and powerful, its not bright or edgy and not lacking any gusto. Its like the reciever is putting out some juice to these speakers. Heck the RF-3's and the Marantz sound more beefier and thicker than my RF-7's on my Rotel Reciever
6.gif
The sound is really warm and laid back, lots of bass thoughout the range and powerful.

What makes these recievers so beefy and so much braun?

Will the Scott 299-C tube amp bring some guts and gusto to my RF-7's?----------------

Check out a 70's vintage Sansui 9090DB if you want to hear some umphhh from an old SS receiver.

My Kenwood KR-9600 is like that also (160/channel). I still use it as a tuner. For 25 years it served me well. Tubes are just better with Klipsch though. A year ago I thought I had the best sounding system around. Then I got the scott, then the macs, then the marantz, then the fisher....... keeps going and going and going.........

Cool guys, does it have to do with the current that the reciever puts out? I mean the watts per channel is only 50 watts but we had it at quarter volume and it was rocking, cant imagine it at half volume. Do the older recievers just pump out alot more amps and current?

Why dont the new recievers sound like that?

It has to do with that 70's mojo, baby!

P.S. I have a Sansui 8080DB I'd let go for a very reasonable amount, if there were interest. I'd have to pull it from the fini vault to check its functionality (LOTS of 70's receivers in there, BTW). Let me know...

Georg,

It's not Watts, it's the quality of the low power output. Most transistor amps have high distortion at the low powers used by Klipsch speakers (tube amps tend to be at their best at such powers). That's why people tend to recommend tub amps for Klipsch speakers. Now and then a decent ss amp is found.

Leo

----------------

On 12/29/2003 7:54:03 PM fini wrote:

P.S. I have a Sansui 8080DB I'd let go for a very reasonable amount, if there were interest. I'd have to pull it from the fini vault to check its functionality (LOTS of 70's receivers in there, BTW). Let me know...

----------------

Make a list of what you have1.gif

This is consistent with my limited experience. I use a low power Sony and a low power JVC receiver of '70s vintage. No complaints from me or the amps.

The only recent addition is a Sony shoe box sized CD/Tuner/amp combo. The shoe box sized speakers are rated at 4 ohms. So I figured the amp was too. In any event, the unit sounds good with the Forte II in a small room. I have maxed out the gain control. Pretty loud and I could probably use more in a bigger room. But it is okay.

Gil

----------------

On 12/29/2003 8:05:04 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

----------------

On 12/29/2003 7:54:03 PM fini wrote:

----------------

Make a list of what you have
1.gif

----------------

Will do!

IMHO, the '70's Marantz SS receivers are really special. I have a 2325 packed away in my vault. It weighs about 50 lbs and is rated at 125 WPC. It can produce bass with slam. But it's still clean at very low (klipsch) average levels. And in a dark room the appearance is hard to beat. The heavy flywheel gyro tuning feels great. These Marantz receivers are waiting to be rediscovered. You couldn't go wrong with a clean

one.

Be careful, all you have to do is transpose two numbers to 2235 and you've got a dud. Not all the old Marantz receivers are as nice as the 2325. Great unit. I had one for a few months and it really sounded wonderful. The tuner knob mechanism was the best.

I've got an old Pioneer 1010 that was a beast in it's day. I'll be selling it shortly if anyone is interested. It's in great shape and works perfectly, all lights, buttons, knobs, clean glass, good wood, nothing missing, and the tuner pulls in stations without an antennae. Actually a much better tuner than my McIntosh MR77 at bringing in stations. $185 double boxed and carefully packed, plus actual ground shipping cost.

Greg

I've got a 2325 stored away too. Beautiful piece. Georg that Marantz was made when men were men and Marantz' were Marantz'. Shortly thereafter Sony bought the brand and ba$tardized them into junk with a quality name. I still drag out the 2325 sometimes and play it on the Khorns when I think I need a little real rock and roll. I don't know wether I'd describe it as dynamic or dynomite.

Rick

Jon,

Sometimes the speaker protective relays can require contact cleaning, especially if inactive for extended periods. The relay is in a clear cover. Caig De-Oxit is a good thing to protect the contacts....

I know your Marantz is gone but if anyone else encounters a lack of audio on one or both channels....sometimes clicking the unit on/off waiting for the relay to energize

is a quick test.

Back in '79 when my dad bought the Cornwalls I own now, he had a 1978 Technics SA-700 receiver that was 100 WPC, with a humungous power tranny and two 15,000uF electrolytic caps...from what I remember, the sound from his system was simply awesome! Then he traded in the receiver for a 1979 Technics SU-8099 DC integrated amp (115 WPC)...the Cornwalls sounded magnificent with all that vintage SS power. My '83 Carver M-400t and '96 TFM-35x (@ 201 and 250 WPC respectively), and my '92 SAE A205 (200 WPC) didn't sound nearly as clean as the '70s Technics. Had to buy a vintage McIntosh amp to get that same full sound that the Carvers and the SAE lacked!