Adire Parthenon Motor = OMGMMGMGMGMGMMGGMMGG!

fivelitermustang

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/Dan/Parthenon/

"At the 2004 CES we'll be showing a 24" square baffle unit, with a Qts of 0.72 and an Fs of 7 Hz. Flat anechoic response to 6 Hz. And capable of over 66 liters of linear air displacement! That will generate reference level (121 dB SPL) output at 20 Hz, when sitting naked in a room - no room gain, no baffle, no box required. The first true dipole driver (not sub - no baffle, remember!) that can do reference outputs. With flat output to the single digits. How's that for a driver?"

"So how far can you go? A 48" x 48" panel would be about the limit. Pretty easy to stretch the motor to 12" of peak-to-peak stroke, so that would be around 16 cubic FEET of displacement (over 450 liters of linear displacement). Now THAT would be a monster! Anyone game? I know a few famous car audio names who are already planning to use this beast, want to join that exclusive club? "

450L of stroke is like 80 Tumults... 14.gif14.gif14.gif14.gif14.gif

what the???

what is that? is that a motor to drive some sort of cone/panel?

i am new to this motor stuff...all i could gather in my reading was that it would act like the magnet and voicecoil assembly for a really big speaker??

is that right?

what kind of applications would use this thing?

----------------

On 12/29/2003 8:25:21 PM tankhokie wrote:

i am new to this motor stuff...all i could gather in my reading was that it would act like the magnet and voicecoil assembly for a really big speaker??

----------------

Yup that's it. When people talk about the motor structure of simply motor of a speaker that's what they're talking about.

While it is pricey, I don't really think it's all too bad for what you get.

frankie,

so does the customer buy the motor seperate and rig their own cone/panel?

or is this a new motor that a driver manufacturer might use in a new line of subs?

i can't imagine someone trying to build their own cone...i keep seeing this thing attached to a big square piece of plywood that is painted black and sits in the corner of your ht room with caution tape around it2.gif

----------------

On 12/30/2003 12:24:52 PM tankhokie wrote:

frankie,

so does the customer buy the motor seperate and rig their own cone/panel?

or is this a new motor that a driver manufacturer might use in a new line of subs?

i can't imagine someone trying to build their own cone...i keep seeing this thing attached to a big square piece of plywood that is painted black and sits in the corner of your ht room with caution tape around it
2.gif
----------------

No, there's no building a woofer yourself. Towards the bottom of the link, it says:

These motors are semi-stock items. We have parts to build several up in stock, but don't actually build them until they are ordered. Voice coil configurations, diaphragms, suspensions, all those are full custom units, so you can spec out what you ideally want.

So basically, they'll be able to custom build a woofer to your needs.

Does anyone else picture a 4'5" elf carrying a motor structure as big as he is3.gif?

Frankie,

How can you do this to poor ole elf.2.gif

No what most people forget is these ubber "woofers" will not be priced for the common man/woman to own.And thier size will take care of most the fortunate users.

These are only for die hard fanatics...LIKE ME 9.gif

Damn right I will be listeing and visiting their website for more detail,right now my focus is on SVS.

Then I will see if I get a Everest sub or this...thing.

HOLY COW I just clicked on the link

6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif6.gif

OOOOOOO 6.gif

This is hard core,extreme.

Where did they fish this monster,from nuclear reactor core? $3000 is not much at all for a custom and precision motor like this,even around $5000 ready to roll its a very good price.

I wonder how much power that HUGE motor can eat!!! And what would be its performance in an enclosure!!! How big would it be too... and god!! I guess that the enclosure must be heavy as hell (15 persons to lift it LOL) if not, it would RUN on the floor and hiting the walls each time it booms!! 6.gif In a sealed box with enough power to reach Xmax, if that monster can be like 80 Tumults, it means that it could pound a little 150 dB @ 20 Hz!!! 6.gif6.gif6.gif

Looks like they mentioned a 24" x 24" cube, but NO mention of power. I seriously want one of these for an IB in my new house, but something tells me it's a little power hungry. Something along the lines of a direct 00 guage wire directly from the pole outside to the amp!! 6.gif

actually, you must get a local power permit and install a small power station complete with barbed wire fence and warning signs. to this small station, you must run a high tension high voltage powerline to your powerstation.

3.gif2.gif

i still don't see how those little neo magnets in that spead out array could effect the vc enough to cause such a movement...but my knowledge in fields is weak.

any ee's feel free to chime in?

Mike, not 24" x 24" cube, the cone will be a 24"x24" sqaure, it will need a 4'x4'x4' box if you wanted to put it in an enclosure. And in an IB, Dan figures it could handle a 100 seat theater.

With a 24"x24" cone and 7" of excursion it will have the Vd of 12 Tumults. Dan also claims in a typical room you could drop just the driver, no box, no baffle, no nothing, just the driver and get 120dB at 20hz with it acting like a dipole sub.

Dan also mentions what he feels the practical extreme would be. A 48"x48" cone with the motor able to do 12" of excursion. That comes to 450L of displacement in comparison to the Tumult at 5.1L.