Amp Suggestions

T_Shomaker

Taylor,

I made it over to Alpha Audio and talked to Zaw. We talked for about half an hour about what you might be looking for, and what the best way to get it would involve.

First off, the free stuff. My wife and I will be having a Klipsch get together two Fridays from now, which would be the Friday after this Friday. You and your folks are invited, and we will be having ten to fifteen other forum friends and audio buffs here.

H. Watkins, the forum member with the Babylonian motiff as an icon, will be visiting on Thursday evening. You would be welcome to visit at the same time, or at a convenient time when at least one of your folks could also attend.

I will have on hand three different types of amp setups for you to listen to.

The first will be a mid 70s receiver, the Harman Kardon 630. A fair number of forum members use this or a similar HK receiver as the "amp" for their Heresy system. They ballpark in the $40 to $85 range.

The second will be a Nakamichi 410 preamp(black) with an as-yet unknown black solid state amp, in the ballpark of 40 - 100 watts. The Nak would cost $75, the amp ?. I would give you a one year guaranteed buyback on the Nak as long as you don't take it swimming or do other violent felony actions on it.

The third will be a Scott 299c equivalent, 35 watts a channel tube amp, totally gone over, and guaranteed parts and labor for a full year. I would also guarantee buyback on this amp.

You can listen to the equipment up in our family room, or you can descend to the dungeon at grave danger. Be sure to bring a few of your favorite CDs so you can tell how the differing systems sound. This should help you decide which way you would like to go. If you would, have one of your folks e-mail me and I will email our phone # back. One of them will have to come with you on your visit, since they'll be hearing whatever you select for longer than they may want2.gif

i'm going to suggest something totally off the wall yet produces a very clean sound....

i use two electrovoice professional amps in my home theatre... one powers my rear speakers at 95 watts per channel and the other is bridged to power my center channel at 200 watts.....

these units are convection cooled (no fans) and sound simply amazing.... extremely low noise floor...(i use klipsch speakers...very efficient and transparent to noisy amps)..

the last unit i purchased from electrovoice came with a tested power rating from the factory of 142 watts per channel!...

(professional amplifiers blow away consumer models when it comes to power ratings!!!)

these amps are available for under $500....fantastic bang for the buck!!!!

for my main speakers i use a carver professional ZR1000 amplifier... it uses digital technology for the amplification circuits.... simply the best amplifier i have ever heard..regardless of price.... this amp is available for around $700 street price.... (it provides 225 watts per channel at 8 ohms)

Hey Taylor, Got time for another boring story from and old man? When I was 20, my dad sent me to a radiator shop to pick up a part for his truck. The radiator guy had a 1964 Harley lectra glide motorcycle. White with black fringe on the seat, a red trimmed windshield. It looked like an old police bike. Just the day before, I bought a 1974 Kawasaki 900. The fastest motorcycle/vehicle made.(including the corvettes and mustangs and camaro's) I could have had the Harley for only $200 more, but no, I had to have the fastest thing made. My dad knew the guy that had the Kawasaki and told me that he would give me my money back if I changed my mind, but no, I wanted the fastest. The Kawasaki lasted about 5 years and about 10 speeding tickets and about 3 wrecks. I sold it for $200. If I had bought the Harley and held onto it, It would probably now be worth about $30,000, but I wouldn't listen to my dad or the guy at the radiator shop. I had to have the fastest. Sure the Kawasaki was fun for a while, but I sure wish I had listened.

Russ,

there are three small points to keep in mind when giving Master Taylor recommendations.

1) Taylor is two and a half years away from getting his learner's permit for a driver's license. His folks have to car pool with him for transport.

2) Taylor is also two and a half years away from filling out a W4 for income tax purposes. Taylor has a parental stipend, and income from snow shoveling, lawn cutting, and holding a tin cup on street corners.

3) Taylor has stated he has between $150 and $350 to spend on amplification.

Unlike the rest of us, Taylor does indeed have a VERY finite amount of money to spend.

Please stay within the constraints so we create as little confusion as possible! It is hard stepping into stereo waters when you are thirteen; tangential information is just that.

No overtime, slow income, arranged transport. The best we can do for him is find a good deal(or deals), let him listen to two or three options on exact identical equipment with his folks at a single location, and let him choose. I will guarantee a full buyback on all that I offer to sell him(only a Nak preamp to offer), and/or recommend he buy. And Ryan will refurbish a Scott tube selection if that is the route Taylor selects. All in all, Taylor is going to be well looked after1.gif

Sheltie Dave: You are a good man.

T: You are getting some good coaching and advisement here. Hope you and your folks can take Dave up on his gracious offer of hospitality.

Heck, I wish I was going to be in town to stop over, too!9.gif

very nice offer from Ryan Inman. (I had to pay for mine, and it was still a good deal!)

----------------

On 1/2/2004 4:20:32 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

I'm looking for a new amp and I think I'm going to get a solid state amp because I can't afford any tube amps that I like the way they look(McIntosh) and I was told that an Eico wouldn't sound that great with rock music. So I'm looking for something that would be better than the Yamaha A-420 that I'm currently using. I don't care if it's integrated or not, I just care that it's black.----------------

I still say you take Ryan Inman up on his generous offer. A nice Scott 299C or D with your Heresy's would sound awesome!

Gee Dave, can I come over too? I could ketch a flight and be there in time for sure.

Definitely take dave up on his offer. If you current Yamaha has pre-outs for additional amps, I would just add an amp. Greatly improves sound over most intergrated amps. I run two Yamaha M series amps through my Yamaha RXV-992. Difference was like night and day, and volume is way to loud. They go on E-Bay for about $250.00 for at least 160wpc.

How about a giant kenwood from 1976 in NM condition. 160 wpc. Black with a silver face. Every gadget and gizmo available at the time. Even has pre-outs to add a hideous tube amp that you could hide in the closet.9.gif Sounds amazing btw compared to today's stuff.