Congrats to whoever got the CW's that

st. patrick

were listed on ebay. appear to have been one owner 75's in connecticut. i was the only bidder.....which seemed strange to me...but just got notified my bid was cancelled as the item was no longer available. I am starting to understand that the old saying..."all's fair in love and war" also applies to acquiring near mint cornwalls. seriously, i do not mean this post to sound like sour grapes.....but guys (and ladies), i already had my groundwork laid out to counter the inevitable flack (why buy something so old, they are just getting rid of it because it is old, new stuff- which must be better- is smaller, etc...you know what i mean) that was going to come from my spouse of 25 years: like the nice ring for Christmas, the anniversary gift a few days later, couple bottles of nice wine for the evening when they would suddenly appear, etc. timing is everything , i guess. you guys are killing me out here on the west coast. anyway, enjoy.....i gotta go bid on the other pair....patrick2.gif12.gif10.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, it was not a sniping situation. it suddenly ended early and my bid was cancelled. again i seem to be losing my innocence....but with less fun than it was 40 years ago. i am assuming it was another klipsch affectionado since these were sweet...as garymd pointed out in another post, to which i responded and said i was bidding.... again, i am frustrated but not bitter or sour grapish. sooner or later the right set will show up for me.

p.s., very nice efforts with taylor, hope it all works out. patrick

----------------

On 1/8/2004 10:57:52 PM st. patrick wrote:

Dave, it was not a sniping situation. it suddenly ended early and my bid was cancelled. again i seem to be losing my innocence....but with less fun than it was 40 years ago. i am assuming it was another klipsch affectionado since these were sweet...as garymd pointed out in another post, to which i responded and said i was bidding.... again, i am frustrated but not bitter or sour grapish. sooner or later the right set will show up for me.

p.s., very nice efforts with taylor, hope it all works out. patrick
----------------

The seller probably got cold feet because he didn't think he was going to get what he wanted for them. As most of us here have come to realize with eBay, a high bid means absolutely nothing until the finals seconds of the auction.

A couple of days ago, I saw that there were actually two auctions for Cornwalls from the same seller. The mistake must have been pointed out or caught. I wondered about the probability of two sets from the same seller. Though someone may have made an off-eBay offer OR the seller wised up and decided to keep them as an investment. It could be that he just said "to hell with WAF."

(I still wonder, at times, if I mistakenly sold my old Polk SDAs. Even my wife said that they looked nice as I was carrying them to the car. Geez, I wish she had said that before I sold them.)

----------------

On 1/8/2004 11:42:54 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

A couple of days ago, I saw that there were actually two auctions for Cornwalls from the same seller. The mistake must have been pointed out or caught. I wondered about the probability of two sets from the same seller. Though someone may have made an off-eBay offer OR the seller wised up and decided to keep them as an investment. It could be that he just said "to hell with WAF."

(I still wonder, at times, if I mistakenly sold my old Polk SDAs. Even my wife said that they looked nice as I was carrying them to the car. Geez, I wish she had said that before I sold them.) ----------------

I hear that. Hindsight is 20/20. I have had the same thoughts cross my mind on several ocassions.

Sometimes a seller ends it early after cutting a deal with a buyer. Not the way I pefer ebay to work but it happens. You have to try it yourself sometimes or get left out in the cold. Other times the seller works out a deal where the buyer puts in a ridiculosly high bid after coming to an agreement with the seller for a lower price.

Keep trying. You'll get your pair. Hopefully nicer.

----------------

On 1/9/2004 12:14:57 AM garymd wrote:

Sometimes a seller ends it early after cutting a deal with a buyer. Not the way I pefer ebay to work but it happens. You have to try it yourself sometimes or get left out in the cold. Other times the seller works out a deal where the buyer puts in a ridiculosly high bid after coming to an agreement with the seller for a lower price.

Keep trying. You'll get your pair. Hopefully nicer.
--------------

Yes you will get a pair Patrick. Patience is key when buying the Heritage Klipsch speakers. If you want a nice pair anyway.

----------------

Sometimes a seller ends it early after cutting a deal with a buyer.

Other times the seller works out a deal where the buyer puts in a ridiculosly high bid after coming to an agreement with the seller for a lower price.

----------------

Ebay really is all over the place... nice pair of La Scalas in AZ, set to end in a few hours that look like they might go cheap. Other times you'd have to pay 2X for the same thing. I landed a pair of La Scalas after an auction ended early. Ebay suspected a stolen identity and froze the guy's account. I emailed and asked if he still wanted to sell and he said sure. I went to see them with cash in hand and ended up with a sweet deal. Lots of ins and outs, but always establish a dialogue with the seller when you see what you want. That way he may come back to you if he's getting an offer to end early. And if it does end early at least you'll have a way to contact him. Patience-persistence.

J.

Pat,

if you have the time, always cross reference Audiogon and any other stereo auction/sell sites if what you want shows up. As the sellers become more sophisticated, they list the same item on multiple sites to gain more exposure. On the 'gon, they generally list the item for what they want or best offer. On Ebay, they start out low hoping to have hot bidding action from the "gotta haves."

I think Audiogon is a little more reliable. You can deal directly with the seller, and if you reach a consensus, the deal is closed within minutes. Often on Ebay, the seller is not confident or knowledgable of true value. Sometimes the seller is rewarded by the market, sometimes the buyer gets a great deal.

If you want to get some solid leads, consider registering and posting in the "Wanted" section of Audiogon. It would be especially sweet to have a good deal pop up fifteen miles from your house4.gif

Lots more corns out there. Lots. You'll get some.

I have had the same ups and downs on Ebay as everyone has mentioned. All over the place, learning new "deals" all the time. Losing things that I really would like.

I have gotten sniped time and time again to the point where, I'll admit it, now I'm sniping too. Why not? Pretty soon that won't work either when everyone's doing it.

I will always respect the folks on this forum and try not to step on anyone's feet when they openly say they are going for something. I don't need anything that bad.

If you hold out long enough you may even land a nice pair of Vertical Corns, I do despise when under table deals take place on eBay. As stated, contact the seller and keep the lines open chances are that way if he is open to side deals you will be in the running. I have had great luck on AudioGon as that is where I found my La Scala's and Khorn's, and even led another forum member to a pair of '67 Khorns as well. You time will come, hang in there!

ah, yous guyz is just trying to make me feel gooder 'bout this.......and it is working. Seriously, i very much appreciate the advice, perspective and wisdom you have provided. my search continues with my patience intact, i'll keep saving the few bucks mother doesn't know about, and i will be ready to go when fate presents herself. thanks guys, patrick

p.s. i am starting another thread asking for advice on tubes for the mcintosh mx110 that i just got.....my first forray into tubes. i got the tube bug after tripping over this site, which then led to the conclusion that i also need the cw's. 2nd childhood thing.....best regards.

Patrick,

Sorry to hear that your recent forays into the market haven't produced better results. I know of several folks in my area (Baltimore/DC) that have CWs or other Heritage speakers they want to sell but they're not about to deal with packing & shipping. I've seen quite a few Klipsch speaks for sale around SF in the past few months so you may want to keep an eye on the classifieds in that area and plan a road trip if necessary. If you do head east, drop me a note and I'll see if I can arrange a few visits for you. Just be patient and keep the cash in hand and the right speakers will eventually find you.

Have fun -Bryan

Patrick,

I would also throw a "Cornwalls wanted" up here in the two channel area. Some of the people who lurk here don't read all of the threads, and this would be a nice "call me" hint without having to remember the dude looking for Cornwalls. Also, those Cornwall owners who aren't even considering selling their babies may have a change of heart if they stumble across a set of Khorns for $500, and need to clear space.

Because equipment generally is sold withing a couple hours that gets posted here, having your name front and center would greatly help those forum members whose memory is a thing of the past.2.gif

----------------

On 1/9/2004 8:50:07 AM jtice wrote:

----------------

Sometimes a seller ends it early after cutting a deal with a buyer.

Other times the seller works out a deal where the buyer puts in a ridiculosly high bid after coming to an agreement with the seller for a lower price.

----------------

Ebay really is all over the place... nice pair of La Scalas in AZ, set to end in a few hours that look like they might go cheap. Other times you'd have to pay 2X for the same thing. I landed a pair of La Scalas after an auction ended early. Ebay suspected a stolen identity and froze the guy's account. I emailed and asked if he still wanted to sell and he said sure. I went to see them with cash in hand and ended up with a sweet deal. Lots of ins and outs, but always establish a dialogue with the seller when you see what you want. That way he may come back to you if he's getting an offer to end early. And if it does end early at least you'll have a way to contact him. Patience-persistence.

J.

----------------

Can you please provide a link to the LaScala on the bay? I can't seem to find it? I am in the market for a nice pair.

Thanks!

Yep, There are several possible scenarios for a seller cancelling an item. What I have noticed most often is that it is an item that for some reason isn't attracting many bids. That is a disappointment when one thinks the auction is going in one's favor.

I once had a seller cancel an auction in the last second. I mean THE LAST SECOND! I was ahead in the bidding on a very nice pair of Scalas. Reserve price had been met at $800. I was watching the auction the time ticked off and was sure that I had won. The next time I refreshed my screen it said the seller ended auction early due to an error in listing or some such. When I looked at the auction time on the Ebay clock I was taken aback that the seller had been able to cut it that close. I did e-mail the seller but got no response. The only satisfaction I got was imagining that the seller must have been anxious for at least a few moments when time was so short. Even 1/2 second later would have been a done deal. Perhaps a deal that would not have been completed, but the seller would have had an obligation to honor.

That is strange since eBay does not allow any changes or mods within the last 12 hours of the auction so I did not think you could cancel/close an auction if it had less than 12 hours to go.

I am suprised that I have not got any bids on my La Scala's up for auction they are probably waiting until the last minute to bid. My asking price is certainly in line for what they sell for. Hmmmm. You just never know with eBay it is unpredictable sometimes.

Frzninvtso these are your LaScalas on ebay?

Scalas

I can't believe they aren't getting bid up above a grand. But over the past week there must've been a dozen pair offered. Probably just a supply/demand thingmore scalas than hot buyers at the moment. I've seen nice clean pairs go over two grand several times in the past year. If I were close enough to pickpu I'd snag these and save'em for a rainy day.

J.