For Sale: Ah! Njoe Tjoeb

KCM

Firstly, thanks to all for helping me see the light ..... I have been reading this forum for several months and have just purchased a pair of '82 La Scala's. They are sounding great ! I've already damped the horns with rope caulking (noticeable improvement) and have ordered the necessary components to build a type A crossover (they have the type AL).

I have a Ah! Njoe Tjoeb sale and thought I would offer it here first.

Includes the following extras: Coax digital output transformer, silicone tube damper o-rings, 4 JAN 6922 tubes, 4 Mullard 6DJ8 tubes, 2 matched Amperex Bugle Boy 6922 tubes (new ones, not nos), original Burr-Brown OPA604 op-amps plus a pair of Burr-Brown OPA627's, Motorola MC34081AP's, and a pair of Motorola MC3401BP's. Remote, manual, and original packaging included. I have somewhere around $900.00 into all this stuff; asking $435.00, shipped and insured in the continental US.

Ken

Besides upgrading the crossovers on these older Klipsch products, I think everyone that owns them should consider dumping the K-400 for the K-401. I believe (but not 100% sure) the K-401 will screw on to the older drivers. Forget the caulk, this lens is a beauty.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/April8-Klipschorns-1.jpg

Greg,

I purchased this early in '02. I just looked at Upscale Audio's web page and mine is the current unit, the Marantz 4000 based one. It hasn't been used for the last year, os so, since I purchased a Sony SACD player.

Ken

"Finally, in a direct comparison with the likes of the BAT player, it became clear that the Super Tjoeb lacked the BAT's level of analog smoothness and top-to-bottom coherency. By that I mean that I was more aware of the Super Tjoeb "changing gears" as it moved from the bass range to the treble. Its presentation did not gel into a coherent whole as well as that of the BAT, which was more successful in approaching the Gestalt of live music." - Dick Olsher

The ABOVE is actually my MAIN complaint with the Tjoeb 99 player I heard. I think it's the major weakness despite the many positives. It is the one thing I have a hard time overlooking. Still, the older Tjoeb model also had a great OPEN quality about it, that in some ways mirrored some of the great attributes of a good SET amp. Still, this lack of overall coherency compared to my Planet bothered me a bit. I would love to sample the latest Tjoeb. Dont think ole Taddeo is going to be getting one though as he appears to be too engrossed in his new Sony SCD-777es!

I agree that the Tjoeb, no matter what the version, is a great deal and an excellent sounding deck. It certainly sounds like none of the generic CD offerings. Although not exactly built like the proverbial tank, the Tjoeb players come through in other areas. I am still not sure what is causing the coherency dilemma.

kh

I've had my BAT CD player for abour 4 years now and I have to tell you it will probably be here until it dies and can no longer be serviced. I happened to get it as a demo for about 40% the original $3200 price, so it wasn't crazy-expensive. It now lists at $4500 which IS crazy! I like my original AH! player too, but the BAT is in a COMPLETELY different league. Considering the price difference it isn't really fair to compare them . . .

Ken, I'd like to purchase it. Sorry Tom, if I don't like it, I'll let you know.

I think at this price, for a current model, I can't go wrong. I've been wanting to try a tube cd, and I think this is a good opportunity.

I have a very nice digital front end right now, but I think the tube unit will give me a totally different option to try.

Ken, please contact me via email at garoberts@earthlink.net

Greg

Greg you scored and I can't wait to hear what you think. Tom RF3crazy has this player with the upsampler and absolutely loves it. Something to the effect of making digital so close to vinyl its a toss up ! His vinyl rig is no slouch ! I seen this before you did and hel off because nothing clear about what model it was !! Ya snooze ya lose.

Craig

"By that I mean that I was more aware of the Super Tjoeb "changing gears" as it moved from the bass range to the treble."

I can't figure out what D.O. means by this. Everything from the bass, through the midrange, up to the treble -- is all happening at the same time. What was he listening to, some goofy test disc?

"By that I mean that I was more aware of the Super Tjoeb "changing gears" as it moved from the bass range to the treble."

I can't figure out what D.O. means by this. Everything from the bass, through the midrange, up to the treble -- is all happening at the same time. What was he listening to, some goofy test disc?

No crazy test disk. IT means just what I said above in my post, a player that is lacking coherency in that the reproduction of the bass thru treble sounds more pulled apart or not of a whole. I have noticed this with the older Tjoeb player I had here. To me, it's bothersome and a bit disconcerting even though other traits are good. It's a strange sensation that is hard to describe. It can be likened a bit to sounding as if certain notes stand on their own apart from the whole or as if the notes are coming at you more like a connect-o-dot drawing, all without sounding as one unit. As I said, this is a hard quality to describe but once you hear it from gear, you know what it is. I simply call it coherency and think his bass to treble example, if taken literally, could be misunderstood.

Regardless, it appears this might be somewhat of a sonic characteristic of the Tjoeb line. Whether one is sensitive to it is another story. My friend Tad didnt seem to mind. It botheremd me far more as I almost described it as sometimes sounding like the musicians where playing the same song but in different rooms at different times! This, obviously a gross exaggeration, but something that got my point across. In the back to back with the Planet, this was one of the things that ultimately made me side with the Planet. In other ways, I felt the Tjoeb 99 (the older model) to have excellent OPEN AS HELL mids and treble, perhaps more so than the Planet. But the coherency issue just was something I couldnt overlook.

kh

----------------

On 1/11/2004 11:13:01 AM DeanG wrote:

Besides upgrading the crossovers on these older Klipsch products, I think everyone that owns them should consider dumping the K-400 for the K-401. I believe (but not 100% sure) the K-401 will screw on to the older drivers. Forget the caulk, this lens is a beauty.

----------------

Yep, I've been wondering if the K-401 accepts the threaded K-55-V. With Klipsch selling the part for $49. It's comparable in price to buying enough Dynamat to damp the K-400. What are K-400 horn lenses bringing on Ebay now?