Speaker recomendations for newbie....

doctorcilantro

My ceiling is around 600$ (maybe more though : )

I could always start liquidating my property and saving cash to get something really nice!

I just purchased a Sherwood S-5000 (25-30 watts) and I keep seeing Forte's & Heresy's in this price rangeon the used market. My friend told me if I ended up with Cornwall's or Lascala's they would probably be the last speaker I ever own.

I listen to cd/tape/vinyl.....lots of rock n roll, jazz, blues, plenty of Jamaaican music like ska rocksteady and roots reggae.

Unfortunately, there may exist a stipulation that they are black....I'm getting married and black speakers are apparently a must, but if the right deal cam e along.....I'm sure she'd understand, especially once the music is turned on.

thanks

jon

ps anyone know about the Mcintosh MA5100? I may be able to get one for 100$ shipped in great condition.

Doc,

See if you can find a set of Cornwalls for a couple hindred more. You'll be glad that you did. The last Mac 5100 sold for $441 on ebay on the 5th.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068808149&category=50593

If you can buy that Mac and resell it you could well afford the Corns. That is if you are not buying it from Aunt Martha and she's gonna visit you every few days to check on her amp.

Rick

If you can hold out for cornwalls, they could likely be your last speakers. About $750 - $900 will do it. Hard to find in black though. Don't know why anyone would want black but that's just me. You can get Chorus's for close to your price range also but I'd wait for the Cornwalls. Fortes and heresys can be had for $600 or less in pretty much mint condition. Heresys for sure.

Unless you can pick up some Cornwalls or LaScalas locally on the cheap, you are looking at close to $1000, which includes shipping and the hassle that goes along with it. You also so have to deal with eBay, and the unknowns (do all the drivers work, is the finish intact, etc...).

You might also like a nice set of RF-35's, and they certainly seem better suited to your situation.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/quicktimevr.aspx?file=RF-35.obj

Hey Doc, I think I mentioned this before. I know where you can score a nice set of La Scalas for $700 or so in Lewiston. The seller has called me a couple of times and his last price was $800. I haven't seen them, but he tells me they have grilles and they are a golden oak color birch. He says they're in great condition. I'd take the condition with a grain of salt, but still worth looking at.

Come up here and listen to La Scalas, and if you like them, stop by Lewiston on your way home and pick up your new speakers.

Greg

Thanks Greg. I know you mentioned that Klipsch still makes great speakers. I will have mon through thursday of this week off, but unfortunatley have to work through the weekend.

The Lascala is full horn loaded and quite a bit wider than the RF-35. I have to figure out if that really factors into my decision, I don't want it to but it may. My room isn't that big.

I get the feeling folkks here would pick a heritage series speaker like cornwalls or lascalas over something newer.

What are the major differences in the two?

I had been considering checking out the Athena As-F2 speakers at.......best buy. Someone told me they are actually excellent speakers.

Jon

Jon..

Best Buy? For speakers?

You're gonna scare this group off!

For the most part, if you've ever heard any of the heritage line, you won't be happy with others. I'm sure there's exceptions..

Get it right the first time, you won't be sorry!

Steve

I would stay with the horn route. The sound has more staying power, and you won't feel the need to upgrade within a month.

I started with RB-5's, then RC-7's (yep, two center channel speakers as mains), then the RF-7's. I've had the Classic Cornwalls in here running with a highly modified Scott 299B, and now I own Klipschorns. I've owned about a half dozen different amps and preamps, and no matter what I've tried or done -- I've been for the most part pleased.

I don't buy into this idea that Reference is somehow more forgiving than Heritage. You need decent stuff with either one. With Reference, and middle of the road HT receivers, the treble sounds sounds screechy, and with Heritage the midrange sounds shrill -- both can be rather obnoxious.

If you can find a nice looking set of used LaScalas, then that would be the way to go. Naturally, a lot of speaker for the money on the used market. If your room is small, and you don't think you can accomodate them -- you'd be surprised at how good a set of RF-35's can sound with a good amp. I listened to the RF-35 extensively at Carlin Audio here in Dayton when they first came out, and they easily dusted everything in the store. Clear, tight and punchy.

I'll tell you this: if you're not a tweakasaurus, go with Reference. Pull them out of the box, hook 'em up and go. Old LaScalas need a little work to tame some midrange resonances (lens caulking, crossover upgrades to ALKs). Now, you do only have 25wpc (which is actually a good thing if the Sherwood is solid state), and that alone would temp me into some LaScalas.

Either way, you can't go much wrong with any Klipsch speaker -- they're all fun to listen too.

The Cornwalls were also originally sold in birch, which can be easily primed and painted. It is one way to make them black. You can decide on the gloss that you want and they can look pretty good.

A nice oak or other hardwood veneer would look a lot nicer, but WAF can be a major consideration.

O.k. Jon, now you have no excuse. I found two pairs of Cornwalls for you right here in Maine, each pair can probably be had for $600 with a little prodding. I've talked with both parties, and I've got a pretty good feel on their prices.

Both pairs came from the factory in unfinished birch. One guy primed them and painted them black with industrial grade paint, several coats. He says they're durable and very nice looking. Only very minor cosmetic blemishes. New Klipsch grilles (I didn't ask why) and new speaker binding posts installed in the backs.

The other pair was finished in puriton pine stain and urethane, black grilles. This guy says these are absolutely in perfect shape. I know $600 will score these. They are Cornwall II's about 11 years old. They are located 8 miles from me.

Well, whadaryawaitenfur?

Greg