SVS

JBP

I am looking at two different SVS subs and was hoping to get some opinions on their performance.

They are the PB2-ISD and PB2-PLUS.

I was just wondering how much of a difference the extra 300 watts and better drivers would make?

My intial thought was that the extra $350 would be well spent but I just wanted to get some other thoughts.

I assume these are the best performers in this price range, or are there other brands I should consider? Thanks.

----------------

On 1/15/2004 11:48:50 AM JBP wrote:

I am looking at two different SVS subs and was hoping to get some opinions on their performance.

They are the PB2-ISD and PB2-PLUS.

I was just wondering how much of a difference the extra 300 watts and better drivers would make?

My intial thought was that the extra $350 would be well spent but I just wanted to get some other thoughts.

I assume these are the best performers in this price range, or are there other brands I should consider? Thanks.
----------------

They are pretty similar, with the PB2-Plus you can expect about 3dB more clean ouput. Only if the PB2-ISD is pushed to it's limit you'll start to notice a difference in terms of sound quality between the two. Whether or not you need the extra output depends on your listening habits/room size/room layout. If your room is large and has openings to other room then you might want to consider spending the extra money. Keep in mind that something like SVS' PB2-ISD should be capable of quite a bit of clean output. I think it's safe to say that it would be able to top the Nousaine list if sent for testing and that's impressive performance considering it's price. Click below to see the subs that are at the top fo the list:

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/Tom%20Nousaine%20Sub%20Data.htm

Dan

The PB2 are awesome.simply awesome. i have a very awkward room and the two PB2s are great.

there are many reasons I do not want to sell them and just a few to sell them.

having two of these jazz never sounded better. metallica shakes the house apart. Eagles Hell freezes over, fear not these two sub will crack the ice without a problem.

Overkill yes indeed but it has been very enjoyable overkill.

"The drivers alone are worth the difference in price."

Voila,and that is how I see it too.The dB12 woofers are a good improvement over the ISD woofers,plus the more potent amp gives you the extra juice to cruise where the ISD would start to strain.

I say spend for the PB2-Plus

psst get the Ultra version dude 1.gif

I haven't scoured the SVS website for a while, but I don't recall seeing anything about the plus-drivers being more efficient than the the standard drivers. I'm not saying you are wrong, I just haven't seen that. All I've seen is that the enclosures are the same size, and that the plus-drivers are capable of greater excursion, which will allow them to handle the power delivered by the more potent plus model's amps. So, the amplifier power difference would amount to a 1.5 db increase in output, and assuming another 1.5 db or so from a higher sensitivity driver, that would get you 3db, but in the grand scheme of things, 3db still ain't much. $100 /decibel!

I still think the best value SVS offers is the 25-31CS or PC, and the PB2ISD.

----------------

...that would get you 3db, but in the grand scheme of things, 3db still ain't much. $100 /decibel!

----------------

Well think about it this way...say you get a 25-31PCi for $550, later on down the road you decide you want more and you buy another 25-31PCi. Now two big cylinders don't fit too well in the same corner so you place the second in another corner or where ever it's convenient for you and your SO. The increase you'll get by doing this is 3dB but this time you just paid another $550 to do it.

This all assumes the two subs aren't located together. Your room isn't too big assuming normal ceiling heights so a 25-31PCi would probalby be plenty.

----------------

On 1/18/2004 7:06:39 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

James

3db may not seem like much, but if you remember how the db scale works, that is TWICE as loud. $300 for a 100% performance increase seems like a "no-brainer" to me.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

Hi Jerry,

I have to disagree about the decibel scale. 3db is not subjectively twice as loud. I believe you're thinking of the fact that it takes twice as much amplifier power to produce a 3 db increase in sound level. If I recall, it is a 10db increase in level that is generally considered to sound subjectively twice as loud. And a 1db increase is supposedly about the least difference that can be reliably and repeatedly identified.

I must say though, the point that using two identical subs in separate locations within the room would only produce a 3db increase is good. That would be a much poorer way to get an extra 3db. There may well be some other good things to gain by using multiple subs in different locations, but that is another subject altogether, eh?

I guess it all comes down to how much output capability a person wants or needs, and how much they are willing to spend to get it. I'd venture a guess that MOST people would be perfectly well served by SVS's "entry level" subs. Of course, us hornies aren't "most people", are we.11.gif

Guest klipschomatic

This is not an SVS forum, it is a Klipsch Forum. With the amount of SVS stuff in this section of the forum I am beginning to wonder how many of you guys are on their payroll?

The Klipsch subwoofers are designed to go with Klipsch speakers, same driver types, same design philosophies. When you look at the Klipsch subs, they are intent on creating a design that can keep up with the high efficiency that Klipsch speakers provide. Otherwise you end up outrunning the subwoofer with your fronts. Sure you can go to some tube sub, but then those are all about output. I would highly recommend going with a Klipsch Sub with Klipsch speakers, they are designed to go together.1.gif

----------------

On 1/21/2004 5:27:06 PM klipschomatic wrote:

With the amount of SVS stuff in this section of the forum I am beginning to wonder how many of you guys are on their payroll?

----------------

I receive a free tube with every 10 clients I send them... they've been coming in almost weekly and my HT is beginning to look like forest with all these tubes. I may eventually catch up with theEAR... 3.gif

Seriously, I guess SVS is doing something right to create such a buzz around their products... even on a klipsch forum. My opinion is Klipsch needs a flagship sub... like the RSW18 the penny-counters axed.

Rob

----------------

On 1/21/2004 5:27:06 PM klipschomatic wrote:

This is not an SVS forum, it is a Klipsch Forum. With the amount of SVS stuff in this section of the forum I am beginning to wonder how many of you guys are on their payroll . . .

Sure you can go to some tube sub, but then those are all about output. I would highly recommend going with a Klipsch Sub with Klipsch speakers, they are designed to go together.
1.gif

----------------

1. How can you really be sure that an enthusiastic SVS owner like me ("tube" and box) is not just a factory "rep?" Oh, the conspiracy ....

2. Have you ever heard a SVS sub?

-----------------

JBP: I faced a similar decision. I opted for the PB2-ISD to save the money (probably used for a BFD next). Would do the same again. For me, plenty of headroom left in the PB2-ISD!! However, if the extra money is not that big of an issue, it might save you some second guessing to just go ahead and purchase the plus!

-----------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300