someone must get these

Guy Landau

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well congrats Smilin - looks like a nice unit to me.

As for pre-amps I am not the one to ask. I have a Decware ZTPRE I adore - but how it compares to the others items brought up by Kelly, Dean and the gang over the years I have no idea.

The good thing about the ZTPRE is that it is very configurable and can be made to match to just about anything. The bad thing is that it is as user friendly as a bear with a headache! 2 whole line inputs to choose from, Selection from the rear, Brilliant - not!!

Way to go Smilin.

I love my Quickies. I have the old 8417 based ones and I'm now a collector fine antique 8417 tubes from ebay most of which are shot to h**l but once in a while there's a good one. 1.gif (I know I know about the EL34 mod)

I think you'll really enjoy them and I think the price was right too.

You done good!

Greg

Smilin,

Enjoy them. You've bought a great set of amps. I really don't know anything about the preamp but I think that there are better options that this one.

I'll email you when I find the next bargain.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 1:41:10 AM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 1/19/2004 12:39:32 AM Guy Landau wrote:

Smilin,

They are worth the $. I'm not sure about the preamp.

I think that Dean owned a pair and haven't found a better sounding amp, ever since he sold them.----------------

I think your speaking for Dean way out of place here. Dean never had a KT88 monos from Quick Silver. The rest of your statement about not having anything better since is a big leap also !!

Craig

----------------

Craig,

I remember that Dean had a pair of 60W QS monoblocks and that they were highly regarded by him. I didn't remember which model.

I also said "I think" and can sometimes be wrong. It's very difficult to keep track on ole Dean's moves.

"As for pre-amps I am not the one to ask. I have a Decware ZTPRE I adore - but how it compares to the others items brought up by Kelly, Dean and the gang over the years I have no idea."

I didn't know Dean was the head of the gangsta here on this board 2.gif.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 9:35:01 AM neo33 wrote:

"As for pre-amps I am not the one to ask. I have a Decware ZTPRE I adore - but how it compares to the others items brought up by Kelly, Dean and the gang over the years I have no idea."

I didn't know Dean was the head of the gangsta here on this board
2.gif

----------------

He isnt - Kelly is - OMG - you dont think Kelly will read this and think....I mean he wouldnt.....honest boss I didnt mean.....BANG BANG BANG.

Dean is just head of Armaments.

Hey Smilin, why don't you just buy the preamp the guy was trying to sell with these and tell the rest of us what you think about it. Seems like a nice unit for $600. If that's too rich for your blood, then keep your eye out for an AES AE-3. Those come up on Audiogon for around $350. I'll will tell you that based on my present experience, I think there can be a big plus in getting the preamp/amp combination from the same manufacturer. It's certainly not always the case, but I think in the case of Mike Sanders -- it's probably more true than not.

Craig, I was actually looking for some nice Quicksilvers when I ran across the QUAD trio for $2250. There weren't any "nice" Quicksilvers around at the time, and the more I checked out the new QUADs, the more they appealed to me. Based on what I'm hearing right now, I made a good choice. I won't depress you guys by going into just HOW DAMN GOOD THEY SOUND.9.gif

Smilin, there are more preamp recs in the 2 Channel Forum than anywhere I know. I think I have written about a dozen preamp rec posts complete with pictures and some decription. A quick search in the archives will net you many.

I personally have not heard a lot of positives about the QS line stage and for $600, I can think of aother options that I would go for, some that are even less.

Are you going with a turntable? Do you need a phono stage?

Here is a great line stage. It's simple, tube rectified, nice parts, and can be upgraded.

AES/Cary AE-3 DJH

ae3_djh.jpg

For phono and line stage, I would have recommended that Conrad Johnson PV-10B with phono stage on Audiogon as a nice sweet sounding FULL pre option but I think it would probably be too much of a good thing mated with the Quicksilvers. The CJ preamps are more tube-like and warmer than most tube options. There are some really interesting tube preamps now for low cost coming out new however. EVen the little Eastern Mini-Max on audiogon right now is a potential idea.

kh

I've owned the CJ PV10 AL and PV5, and while the PV5 had a warm presentation, I've found the PV10 to be much different. It had a hugh soundstage (much deeper than the 5) and was very natural and clean. The only flaw was very slight lack of base definition, but it was still the best pramp for that money and even twice. In fact it was only bettered by the Marantz 7 and VTL ultimate in my system.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/19/2004 3:03:57 AM DeanG wrote:

Hey Smilin, if like me, you like to push the envelope without having your ears pinned back, and like to hear your whole room loaded with gorgeous midrange, and warm slamming bass -- then you just bought your last set of amps. I've never heard those, but they are the ones Mike Sanders told me to look for when I had my M-60s, and wanted to go to the next level. You just scored a hell of a deal! You still need a good preamp.

Craig, Guy wasn't really that far off actually. I bought the QUADs hoping to God to get back some of what the Quickies had given me.
----------------

Dean,

Yeah man, I am looking forward to hearing these badboy's, I was talking to sheltie Dave yesterday and he told me if I REALLY want greatt bass from the corn's the quicksilvers are the way to go. NTW have you ever heard the quicksilver pre-amp?2.gif Can you give your opinion of the QS's vs. the Quads please?2.gif and finally, are the kt 88 suppose to have more low end than the el 34's12.gif

Thanks

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/19/2004 5:02:40 AM maxg wrote:

Well congrats Smilin - looks like a nice unit to me.

As for pre-amps I am not the one to ask. I have a Decware ZTPRE I adore - but how it compares to the others items brought up by Kelly, Dean and the gang over the years I have no idea.

The good thing about the ZTPRE is that it is very configurable and can be made to match to just about anything. The bad thing is that it is as user friendly as a bear with a headache! 2 whole line inputs to choose from, Selection from the rear, Brilliant - not!!
----------------

Thanks Max

I think I will like the amps, but the search for a pre-amp goes on, and your ZTPRE just sounds to complicated without enough inputs for me. BTW I hope your feeling better, I still have teh flu too.

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/19/2004 7:46:27 AM tillmbil wrote:

Way to go Smilin, I was going to give them a try but you beat me to the post. You have got to let me know what you think. Try then on your Cornwalls so I can cry about my misfortune.

Guy, great find, don't forget the rest of us on your next find.
----------------

Thanks Bill

I hope to get them shipped ASAP so I have them for this weekends get together! Hopfully we will be able to do some fun comparasons with Craigs Mark III's, Marks mac 240/C22, and Craigs newest baby's.

Smilin

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/19/2004 9:11:15 AM greg928s4 wrote:

Way to go Smilin.

I love my Quickies. I have the old 8417 based ones and I'm now a collector fine antique 8417 tubes from ebay most of which are shot to h**l but once in a while there's a good one.
1.gif
(I know I know about the EL34 mod)

I think you'll really enjoy them and I think the price was right too.

You done good!

Greg
----------------

Thanks Greg

Im glad to hear you love yours, BTW what pre-amp are you using? Have you ever heard them with the KT 88's? I hope this will be a beautiful start to my NEW tube collection2.gif

Smilin12.gif