Seriously Smilin, here they are!

wrench_peddler

THE MUSIC BOX was the king of klipsch delers in the Mass area from the 50's through the 90's.

when you bought a pair of Khorn 9consider a very special thing ) they put you name on a plaque and added to there Khorns owners wall. I always wanted to get on that wall. But by the time i got my first khorn it was a single 58 model used for 150 and not new from them.

Mr. bell that owned the Music Box was a old time khorn fan from back in the day. he was a personal freind of Paul klipsch. He even brought a pair of khorns and Marantz amps to the worlds fair in brussels in 1959. Thats a cool story, I have to post it here one day .I have a 6 pages on that story.

Anyway the Music Box was always good to me I listend to a lot of stuff on the Khorns in there well tuned room.

Bulit for the khorns back in the 50's.

I was once told they were the oldest hifi store in the us and maybe the first?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Khorn58,

I'd really like to see the story on Mr Bell.

As a kid the Music Box was my first 'Hi-Fi'/record store experience!

My Dad bought a Scott 99D amp, 314 tuner, Rek-O-Kut TT, and Klipsch Shorthorn mono system there c. 1961.

I was 6....

Had no idea about the Paul Klipsch/Bell connection.

Left there in 1966.

Like an idiot I (before 're-discovering' tubes and Klipsch) sold all the old 'worthless' gear to a local stereo place a few years back for a few dollars.

Now--the restoration project.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/28/2004 10:54:30 PM JohnWhite wrote:

I think I will let these go! Money can be better spent on an amp with plenty left over! Unless of course nobody bids on them in the next 11 minutes!

Shesh, I gotta get a life!!!

----------------

John I do believe congratulations are in order here, what are you gonna buy next, need any suggestions

2.gif I'm sure I can help you to spend your $$$$ the way mine does3.gif6.gif11.gif12.gif

LOL, OK, One interesting lesson learned, you cannot cancel auction sniper bid within the last couple minutes. So I ended up outbidding my own bid! Not only that but I wasted one of the free auction sniper bids 8.gif Did anybody catch the number of times the page was hit in the last 4 minutes?? about 100+

Thanks smilin! Im buying a house in a few months, so I gotta cut back the spending a bit.

Anyway, I received the HK 430 in the mail the other day, Nice receiver, Anybody got any recomendations on a nice amp?? 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/28/2004 11:11:40 PM JohnWhite wrote:

LOL, OK, One interesting lesson learned, you cannot cancel auction sniper bid within the last couple minutes. So I ended up outbidding my own bid! Did anybody catch the number of times the page was hit in the last 4 minutes?? about 100+

Thanks smilin! Im buying a house in a few months, so I gotta cut back the spending a bit.

Anyway, I received the HK 430 in the mail the other day, Nice receiver, Anybody got any recomendations on a nice amp??
9.gif

----------------

John, do you want SS or tube, how powerful, 2-channel, 5-channel, 7-channel, new, pre-owned, price range?

Help me to help you so we can help each other11.gif

Look at the verts in the smilin wow thread.3.gif Hope you are not having those bad boys shipped(there beautiful)careful moving them around.!9.gif10.gif11.gif

No Im not having them shipped. Either I will have fellow member Chris Robinson pick them up or I will have a family member that lives in the next town pick them up. Im heading up there in the spring for vacation so I will transport them back in my car.

Smilin, Im thinking a Tube amp, kinda looking at the Decware Zen SE84CS, I thought that would be a nice start, I did pick up one of the CD/DVD players off ebay that decware will modify. The last part will be the LP player, but that will wait till after the house is bought.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/28/2004 11:25:44 PM JohnWhite wrote:

No Im not having them shipped. Either I will have fellow member Chris Robinson pick them up or I will have a family member that lives in the next town pick them up. Im heading up there in the spring for vacation so I will transport them back in my car.

Smilin, Im thinking a Tube amp, kinda looking at the Decware Zen SE84CS, I thought that would be a nice start, I did pick up one of the CD/DVD players off ebay that decware will modify. The last part will be the LP player, but that will wait till after the house is bought.

----------------

Very cool, sound like your well on your way, hope you love the sounds of your new system, enjoy and have fun3.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/28/2004 11:32:28 PM Jon Anderson wrote:

Self Snipped. That is funny stuff. Never seen that before.

Congratulations.

----------------

Actually self sniping SUCKS12.gif But stupid me has done it too2.gif I learned the hard way15.gif

John, congratulations on snagging a great pair of speakers! They are beauuutiful.13.gif13.gif

Once in a while I take a look at auctions to see # of bids, how many people bid, and the behaviour of the auction. I think your pursuit of these speakers is a steller example of why an automated sniping program is the best rachet method to use when going after a valuable item.

"Iwinagain" has only won 8 items on Ebay, and I have seen him bid on more then a few dozen. He goes after tubes and other minor purchases, with only one item over $50 , and that being a Video player at $200. He is not a big player, but he does dabble in tube and broken stereo stuff. His pursuit of the Cornwalls was very uncharacteristic of his buying pattern.

The normal means to find the limit for an Ebay rachet bid is to bid a set amount as many times as it takes to find the unknown limit. IWin did this with your hidden rachet bid, but he varied the amount and did not do it in smaller increments, which is the normal "I'm cheap" behaviour. He did, unfortunately, blow through your rachet limit.

If you had dropped a hidden snipe rachet bid limit of $1500, and set your Ebay rachet at an $1100 limit, you might have saved some money, but you also could have invited a couple serious snipers to get involved as well.

The long and short is I do not think that "IWin" is a bidder who would have consumated this transaction. I question whether he was a serious buyer - because if you bid up to $1400 on the Cornwalls, an extra $100 is nothing(cough, cough for saying that!) I forget his bid timeline, but he did spend some time driving through your limit, and then nothing. It's puzzling, to say the least.

Nothing to make the NY Times, but I'd be interested in other thoughts on this, and again, CONGRATS on a great set of speakers. You came in nuts on what I thought the final price would fall at, John.2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Dave,

I wholeheartedly agree with all you said, I know it happened to me on the scott 272, and 233, which I overpaid for cause I lived it and was STUPID.(no patience)I than went over to auctionsnipe and have saved over 1000 in the the winning bids, on 4 items I won with it! No more falling in love, it costs ya $$$$$2.gif

----------------

On 1/28/2004 11:25:44 PM JohnWhite wrote:

----------------

You better take a truck ora van. Unless no one else is going with you and you have a full size car with a huge back seat and a tie down for the deck lid on your trunk.

I have a 86 300zx turbo which might be the car in use. One speaker should fit in the back and the other should fit after removing the passenger seat. A couple of blankets and pillows and I should be set.16.gif If that won't work then I'll steal the ex-wifes Chevy tracker.

The HK 430 came while I was out. When I got home I had to go back out and get some speaker wire, so they weren't running till almost midnight the other day. I've been so busy I've only listened to one CD. Moody Blues at Red Rock. I was quite impressed with the sound. I think it will improve even more after I procure a Amp or two. Of course the acustics in my living room suck big time.

I really have no knowledge with tube amps so Im quite hesitant on bidding or buying an older amp / preamp system. I am looking to you guys to guide me to a good system.